My experience grilling Impossible Burgers

Thanks for being the guinea pig. Now, after reading your review, I won't bother to try it and I'll pass if offered one.

Just a side note, but if going for this at BK, a vegan friend told me that in order to avoid cross-contamination during the cooking process, you need to request that BK microwave the Impossible Burger patty. My friend tolerates the outcome although it's not ideal, texture and taste-wise. I'm still trying to entice him into trying one of my beef burgers. More work to do...

Why does it recommend taking the temp to 160? Couldn't you eat them raw? Similarly, why/how did you settle on 144?

For me, I just don't see the benefit. Frankly, those ingredients look more harmful to me than real beef. I've always been one to eat what it is. I never drank diet soda and if I wanted to eat vegetables, which I do, I wouldn't feel the need to make it seem like beef - something it's clearly not. Oh well, to each their own. Definitely appreciate the write up and taking one for the team. Thanks Chris!

Why does it recommend taking the temp to 160? Couldn't you eat them raw? Similarly, why/how did you settle on 144?
From https://www.qualityassurancemag.com/article/the-impossible-burger/
"In general, plant-based meats have fewer food safety concerns than traditional meats. But one of the greatest is that of consumer handling once the products are out of the purview of Impossible, said Food Safety and Quality Director Fuqi Liu. Like cooking standards for ground beef, Impossible recommends that its burgers be cooked to 160°F, but they also can be served rare more safely than ground beef, Liu said."

I didn't choose 144*F. I grilled for 3 minutes on each side over medium heat, 6 minutes total, then checked internal temp. I was surprised how fast the temp was coming up. For a beef burger, 135-140*F would be medium, that's how I usually do my burgers. At 144*F, I figured I'd overshot my target and was approaching medium-well so I pulled it.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately in this case), I'm soy intolerant.
So I'm staying far away from any of these meat alternatives.
If provided no option, I'd just load up on the other burger toppings without the patty and call it a day.

A friend of ours is vegan (we don't hold that against her, at least not too much. :) ) For a group dinner last year, I did make spaghetti w/ marinara sauce, and both carnivore and vegetarian meatballs. IIRC, I used the Beyond Meat products. Dressed up for meatballs, surprisingly, they were far less objectionable that I was afraid of.

You can have my beef when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

I would try one just out of curiosity. We have a daughter and grandson who are vegetarians and daughters fiance is vegan. Whenever they visit, which is prior to this year, I try to have something in the freezer to accommodate them when I grill. Thanks for the info Chris!

Last edited:

Back