Monterey Jack Chicken

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've been trying to get this cook in for about a week now. Monterey Chicken, red twice baked and fried eggplant. I did some pre-cooking during the day to make this evenings cook a little less hectic. Here's a few pictures.

Cooked the potatoes and bacon on the JJ. The bacon was for a topping on the chicken.

DSC_4074 (Large).JPG

DSC_4080 (Large).JPG

DSC_4084 (Large).JPG

The recipe called for boneless skinless chicken breasts but I used thighs. Seasoned them with a heavy coating of Mexicano rub by Cattlemans.

DSC_4085 (Large).JPG

I know Eggplant is not a forum favorite, but It's my wife's favorite and I like it too. Sorry guys. Sliced up a medium sized eggplant, approximately 1/4" thick.

DSC_4089 (Large).JPG

Potatoes needed around a half hour to reheat and cheese to melt.

DSC_4092 (Large).JPG

Chicken on next.

DSC_4096 (Large).JPG

Put flour, bread crumbs, Parmesan, garlic powder and s&p in a gallon baggie and coated slices with mixture. Fried them in a little oil.

DSC_4098 (Large).JPG

Let the chicken roll until it got to around 160.

DSC_4101 (Large).JPG

Moved chicken to a small cast iron skilled and topped with Killer Hog's BBQ Sauce. Let it glaze until chicken reached 165.

DSC_4107 (Large).JPG

Potatoes just about done.

DSC_4109 (Large).JPG

Put the bacon and shredded yellow cheddar and Monterey Jack over the top of the chicken and let it go another 5 minutes.

DSC_4112 (Large).JPG

DSC_4116 (Large).JPG

Plated it up.

DSC_4119 (Large).JPG

The Monterey Chicken is a Malcom Reed recipe and it is delicious. I'll be doing this again and will go with the breasts next time to compare. Bunch of great flavors going on there and Malcom's Sauce is terrific. I've been using it for years. Potatoes and Eggplant were winners as well. Have a nice wrap to your weekend everyone. Thanks for looking.

Excellent as always Cliff!
I’m not an eggplant fan, but my wife is.
I’m going to have to borrow that portion of your cook for her!

Cliff, it all looks great...but that bacon takes the cake! I'm pretty sure you didn't find it in the grocery store bargain bin!

Choosing BSCTs was the right move. I'll bet you a big pile of somebody else's money that when you repeat this recipe with BSCBs the results will fall far short.;)

Cliff everything looks delicious!
Also I always like seeing things like egg plant being cooked a way I never thought of, im gonna try it.

Cliff,
This is my wife's favorite meal and after making homemade bacon yesterday she required I make this same recipe tonight. The kids also thought it was the prefect cook for the night before school starts tomorrow. I would love to hear what you think about this using BSCB vs BSCT because all three times I have made it I have used BSCB. Your whole meal looks amazing! I hope your meal taste as good as our version did tonight!

I’m not an eggplant fan, but my wife is.
I’m going to have to borrow that portion of your cook for her!

Come on James. Take one for the team and cook it for your wife! o_O

Cliff everything looks delicious!
Also I always like seeing things like egg plant being cooked a way I never thought of, im gonna try it.

Here's the recipe I used Rikki

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/2....com&utm_content=20200818&utm_campaign=634160

That was quite the feast! Grilled eggplant fan here. I posted a photo gallery thread a while back with grilled eggplant. Everything looks fantastic.

You must be receiving a ton of smoke and ash from the August Complex fire. Stay safe.

I basically only have an eggplant or two because they look really pretty in the garden, not because I end up doing much with them that is pretty on a plate. Guess you just sorta called my bluff on that.

Another Home Run! Eggplant... not my cup of tea or veggie. But be assured I'm stealing the rest of your cook. I think I'm going to have to start another recipe binder called " Cliffs Cooks" (y)

Thanks for the great comments everyone.

That was quite the feast! Grilled eggplant fan here. I posted a photo gallery thread a while back with grilled eggplant. Everything looks fantastic.

You must be receiving a ton of smoke and ash from the August Complex fire. Stay safe.

You're right J. We've had ash on the cars a couple of times and the smoke has been just awful. Worst it's been since the Carr Fire a couple of years ago.

Nice looking plate Cliff! I really like your twice baked taters. I've done that with yukons, but not reds. On the list now!

We haven't had ash up here, but we are getting lots of smoke from the fires that are near us. Today It's so thick I need a radar and gps to navigate!

Whoa, food induced coma? Looks frickin’ awesome!

I’m in the same boat as most on the eggplant. I think it tastes like a cardboard coaster, but wife loves it. I only grill it for moussaka. Did use any wet ingredient to make the dry stuff stick?

Last edited:
You're right J. We've had ash on the cars a couple of times and the smoke has been just awful. Worst it's been since the Carr Fire a couple of years ago.

I don't know if you have seen this, but the LA Times has an excellent wildfire map that they keep updated. It also includes air pollution that tracks where the smoke is blowing.

https://www.latimes.com/wildfires-map/

The scale of the fires is mind blowing. The four largest fires currently raging have burned over one million acres.

Whoa, food induced

Did use any wet ingredient to make the dry stuff stick?

I'm sorry Steve. I was rereading my post and realized I missed your question. I thought about spritzing a little oil on the slices but there was enough moisture on the slices to hold it. Wouldn't hurt any though.

Looks awesome, Cliff. Add some sautéed mushrooms and you've got some Outback Alice Springs chicken - only much, much better.

Back