Minion method starts and taste?

Mac LA

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello everyone,

So I was sitting here thinking about how I start my smokes (mainly minion method) and began to ponder if I was setting myself up for bad smoke or poor taste. I was reading on another website that there is inherent flaw with this method because coals are constantly being lit and not being able to settle down first (while meat is on). I can’t find it for the life of me otherwise I’d post for reference.

I have not had any bad smoke taste but again, I have not started any other way so perhaps I’m used to it by now? Do any of you get any differences in flavor profile utilizing minion vs not?

Guess I’m just starting to wonder if I should allow all my coal to ignite before putting meat on, let’s say for non-long-haul cooks - say ribs?

I typically wait till I see clearer smoke (not white heavy stuff), about 45mins to an hour.

Thoughts?
Feel free to tell me to stop thinking so much! : p

Johnny O.

This is an easy trap to fall into. Everything is going fine, you're liking the barbecue you're making, then you read something or hear something that makes you doubt what you're doing.

There are people with very sensitive palettes who believe they can taste the difference between meat cooked using the Minion Method vs. other methods. I don't believe most of us can tell the difference, especially when we apply rubs, bastes, sauces and smoke flavor that interact with any flavor resulting from the charcoal firing method.

Remember, for every one guy who tells you that the Minion Method negatively affects the flavor of meat, there are 100+ guys out there every weekend on the competition barbecue circuit using some version of the Minion Method to fire their cookers and take home the big money. And even when you let charcoal briquets completely ash over before you start cooking, the center of those briquets are not burning. So you've always got unlit charcoal lighting off throughout the cook.

If you want to experiment with cooking ribs over fully ashed-over briquets, go for it. It's your taste buds that matter. But as a general comment, I'd say don't overthink this...if you like your finished product, keep doing what you're doing.

Good luck!

This is an easy trap to fall into. Everything is going fine, you're liking the barbecue you're making, then you read something or hear something that makes you doubt what you're doing.

There are people with very sensitive palettes who believe they can taste the difference between meat cooked using the Minion Method vs. other methods. I don't believe most of us can tell the difference, especially when we apply rubs, bastes, sauces and smoke flavor that interact with any flavor resulting from the charcoal firing method.

Remember, for every one guy who tells you that the Minion Method negatively affects the flavor of meat, there are 100+ guys out there every weekend on the competition barbecue circuit using some version of the Minion Method to fire their cookers and take home the big money. And even when you let charcoal briquets completely ash over before you start cooking, the center of those briquets are not burning. So you've always got unlit charcoal lighting off throughout the cook.

If you want to experiment with cooking ribs over fully ashed-over briquets, go for it. It's your taste buds that matter. But as a general comment, I'd say don't overthink this...if you like your finished product, keep doing what you're doing.

Good luck!

Excellent advice, thanks because i often ponder the same thing.

I wonder if the "bad taste" guys are using crummy charcoal and tasting "what ever burns off before the coal is ashed over."

Good luck!

Solid advice and I thank you.

It's a big problem of mine (overthinking stuff) and probably should stick to what's working for now.

I wonder if the "bad taste" guys are using crummy charcoal and tasting "what ever burns off before the coal is ashed over."

I still have yet to test another charcoal, mostly due to the fear of the unknown. I do want to try some Kingsford comp, Wickes and Royal Oak but not sure it's worth it or if I will notice any difference in my end product.

Though I am not fully versed as most of you folks are in the finer techniques in using a WSM I would tend to agree with Chris. There are many pews in the cooking church and everyone likes their own best. Mac, if you like your product, don't let "them" tell you that you are wrong.
After the first few tests with my improved height table, my back is much happier! I have just thought about a way to do yet another "improvement" but, will not let the cat out of the bag until I fabricate the thing or dismiss it. If you do the wheel change, you will need to pick up a new axle to accommodate the additional depth of the different hubs. Wheels, free, axle and new hub nuts, $8.85! Pretty cheap for the back salvation!

My experience with briquettes and minion is different.
In WSM when I used briqs and minion I couldn't feel any off taste or odor, gut I always let it go alone for minimm 1 hour.
In kettke with briqs and snake/fuse method I DO taste a light off taste /odor all along the cook. Please remember I cook for reverse searing so I cook at a very low T round 200F.
Probably I'll move to charcoal in the kettle to avoid this slightly negativative influence (i've already moved to charcoal in WSM).

Solid advice and I thank you.

It's a big problem of mine (overthinking stuff) and probably should stick to what's working for now.

I still have yet to test another charcoal, mostly due to the fear of the unknown. I do want to try some Kingsford comp, Wickes and Royal Oak but not sure it's worth it or if I will notice any difference in my end product.

I cook with Royal oak and have a fear of moving to Kingsford, I feel your pain. I do plan on modding my charcoal grate tonight to see if that help. WE are doing chicken parts this weekend. I do not wait an hour maybe 30 minutes before adding food.

Though I am not fully versed as most of you folks are in the finer techniques in using a WSM I would tend to agree with Chris. There are many pews in the cooking church and everyone likes their own best. Mac, if you like your product, don't let "them" tell you that you are wrong.
After the first few tests with my improved height table, my back is much happier! I have just thought about a way to do yet another "improvement" but, will not let the cat out of the bag until I fabricate the thing or dismiss it. If you do the wheel change, you will need to pick up a new axle to accommodate the additional depth of the different hubs. Wheels, free, axle and new hub nuts, $8.85! Pretty cheap for the back salvation!

I've been meaning to reply to your pm, but I'm waiting to see if I can snag this 22 performer this weekend (for 100 bucks). I will def contact you for more info should I end up with it. I'm also looking at a CB rotisserie kit for the hell of it...LOL. Still reading up on it but it seems like a nice setup.

I cook with Royal oak and have a fear of moving to Kingsford, I feel your pain. I do plan on modding my charcoal grate tonight to see if that help. WE are doing chicken parts this weekend. I do not wait an hour maybe 30 minutes before adding food.

It's funny with bbq folks, the grass is not greener on the other side it seems...LOL

What mods to the grate are you thinking?

My brother gave am a roti kit last year, I have had a ball with it, quite a few chickens enjoyed, some beef, some pork loins. I need to use it more! He got the official Weber for me so, everything fits just beautifully (well it did until it fell and bounced slightly out of round but, it's fine!)
If you can find the wheels for free it was pretty simple, out with the old, in with the new. I was in a bit of a rush, spurred by beautiful weather so, I did not rebus have the wheel hubs, I may have a buddy do that for me, just because. I have not really moved my grill in about fifteen years so, the reason for the change out was height and like I say, it's much easier for my back! Still want to do some fine tuning. It's a process!

Last edited:
Mac, well I have only done 3 cooks on my WSM so far but I have only used the Harry Soo Minion Method (with crater in center and dump some lit charcoals in the crater) and I don't taste any charcoal on my food. So I will continue using this method because I like how long the heat lasts. I don't know about cooking with all lit charcoals, I guess that the temperature can shoot way up and be too hot.

Joe,

While I have the utmost respect for Harry, can we please give proper credit to the person whose name is actually associated with that method... Jim Minion ! There is a thread on this site in which Chris Allingham pointed the existence of a thread dealing with any confusion about Jim Minion's method.

Here is the information Chris pointed to... http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

Last edited:

There are people with very sensitive palettes who believe they can taste the difference between meat cooked using the Minion Method vs. other methods. I don't believe most of us can tell the difference, especially when we apply rubs, bastes, sauces and smoke flavor that interact with any flavor resulting from the charcoal firing method. .

Good luck!

Chris makes an excellent point. I have a fairly discerning palette and I detect no bitter or off flavors from the Minion method's use. Bottom line, for me anyway, is if you're happy with the results you're getting then don't pull you're hair out trying to revamp your technique. I if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Chris makes an excellent point. I have a fairly discerning palette and I detect no bitter or off flavors from the Minion method's use. Bottom line, for me anyway, is if you're happy with the results you're getting then don't pull you're hair out trying to revamp your technique. I if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I agree! But at the same time; if you do feel like you can detect an off flavor, I'd try a different brand (or type) of charcoal. Try to look for a "all natural," brand.

Heck, it might even be just that bag! I had a bag of KBB that may have gotten slightly damp, or something, but even in the kettle at full wack it still tasted a bit like lighter fluid.

One reason not to use petroleum based accelerants. I stopped using juice to light anything but campfires thirty years ago. I do have a can but, I'm a newspaper starter guy. I get the paper and, for the most part, that is the only thing this rag is good for. I had some of the Weber cubes from the purchase of my platinum and they were OK but, it's one more thing to keep track of.

I believe that any off taste that may arise from using a natural all hardwood charcoal (I use Rancher) is throwing the meat on too soon. Even when using the Minion Method i let the coals burn for at least 30-45 minutes to create a warm if not hot environment. I have learned from using my stick burner that allowing the wood sticks to warm up first before throwing them directly on the fire will create a cleaner fire. This same can be done by allowing the burning coals to warm up the unlit ones, thus creating a cleaner fire.

I bought the extra charcoal grate and crossed them to hold smaller chunks of lump and prevent them from falling through. When kingsford goes on sale during Memorial Day I plan on getting the two 18# bags for 10 bucks. I might load up on a few double packs. No lighter fluid though I like my torch too much.

I used ss hose clamps to put it all together. I also got some ss 8 inch eye bolts and washers to make handles.

Last edited:
Chris;
I saw your answer quite late, but agree fully with your common sense approach.

Personally, I use Kingsford original, buy it when on sale in quantity, and use the "Tin Can Minion" method and have experienced No ofF flavors. I've tried various brands of lump and HAVE experienced all matter of JUNK in the bag as well as a lot of pieces too small to be used...

So, i'll continue to use Kingsford.

FWIW
Dale53

I agree with most: minion method tastes fine. I have never had a bad experience.
If you have an offset and plan on cooking with an all wood fire, you have to put fresh logs on the fire to maintain a long cook. You don't see many people burning wood down to coals and shoveling it in an offset. Most are just throwing splits on there.

I have absolutely zero science to back this up but I feel even as charcoal continues to light many hours into a cook I think the fact the fuel is already hot as it is being lit starts it quicker and gives off less smoke.

Back