Midnight Mass

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I haven't been around the vwbb much these days, but I'm still cooking on my wsms harder than ever. Due to a cancellation of a local contest, my comp schedule went down to only one this year, so I talked a local chef/restaurant owner, whom I've developed a friendship with over the years, into letting me cook a meal at his restaurant. Once a month he hosts a chef to do a Saturday night meal after hours called midnight mass. I figured cooking 12 pm to 12 am beats cooking from 12 am to 12 pm and he agreed. Plus I did the cooks over 3 days (butts on Thursday, ribs on Friday, and briskets on Saturday), which made cooking a ton of meat on two 22"s more manageable. It was an awesome experience, and despite never presenting food in real restaurant conditions, we did about as well as possible. I had a bunch of help, as teammates made the sides and dessert, and the pastry chef of the restaurant made us amazing cornbread and white bread for the Texas toast. Not to mention, the entire kitchen brigade, along with former midnight mass chefs who came to help plate. I missed out on a lot of pictures as the meal was happening, but managed to get a few shots before and after. We received lots of complements afterwards and even a few hugs from strangers who dug the 'cue.

2 butts:
image_1.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 briskets:
image_6.jpeg

image_9.jpeg

the menu
image_12.jpeg

48 1/2 racks of ribs:
image_4.jpeg

plating the barbecue platters:
image_7.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

finished platter:
image_5.jpeg

Dessert:
image_2.jpeg

That is a great looking plate of food and very filling!
Bacon on the dessert - now that's a first for me, never seen that before.

You should be mighty proud of that spread Jeff. Looks amazing. Keep it up and you'll be the guest chef more often. Like your menu you posted also. Very classy.

That had to be a great experience. Wish I could have had a seat at that table. The guests will remember that for a long time. Congrats on a job well done.

If this is going to be a more frequent thing I might just have to do a road trip down from Toronto area... Please tell me that it could/will be. :)

Wow J, that is an awesome experience that very few could pull off. The food looks great and it sounds like you had a good time.

Exceptional looking food from start to finish! I bet there were a lot of happy (and full) customers that night. I would certainly pay good money for that plate.

Complete perfection!! You sir have set the bar very high for all of the other guest chefs! Out of couriosity, what did a sitting cost? I have all but stopped eating BBQ at restaurants, but a plate or meal like the ones you prepared would bring me back again and again!
Fantastic job,
Tim

That looks like a blast! Absolutely beautiful plates
I'm not sure why, but it seems the more people we cook for, the more we enjoy it.

Back