Maverick down, looking for a replacement.

AndyB

My old Maverick ET-73 is dead, looking to get a new one. I don't really need anything too fancy but I'd like decent range between the receiver and the unit. Mine didn't work more than 20 feet. I see lots of off brands on Amazon, not sure what to go with.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with Thermoworks Smoke. It's pricy at around 100 bucks but rock solid. You could always go with a new Maverick as well. The XR-50 has 4 probes and great range at around 80.

Another vote for Thermoworks. Wait until it goes on sale, if you can, because they have frequent sales. Their new longer range Smoke X was just 20% off last week. Right now, only their super-high temp line, ThermaQ, is on sale (still very pricey). Give it a week or two and the Smoke will be on sale.

I would really like to get Thermworks smoke but with four Mavericks two new in the box, I don't think the Finance Minster / War Department (Barb) would go for it.

ThermoPro TP 20. Two probes. Not fancy but does everything I need. Broadcasts just fine from the backyard to every room inside my house, including the basement. No phone app.

Got mine for $45 on sale at Walmart.

Got the Smoke X4 two months ago and it’s range is impressive. Can walk down the block and still get a signal, plus anywhere in the house, and 4 probes! I know you said nothing fancy but think of it as an “investment,” at least I told myself that 😇.

Wait for a sale though it’s been 20% off a couple times. Recommend the case too as its a lotta wires.

I try to be a minimalist, but if I ever get another thermometer, it would be a Smoke. I used to have a Maverick, but I basically just stopped using it. Once I got real familiar with my machine, I just didn't need it. At most, I'll hang a probe in the top vent to make sure my temp is in the ballpark. To temp the meat, I just use a Thermapen. But I'm also a gadget person and have looked at Smoke a number of times. Basically any time Chris posts that they're running a sale, I get trigger happy. I'll probably pull the trigger at some point sooner than later.

My old Maverick ET-73 is dead, looking to get a new one. I don't really need anything too fancy but I'd like decent range between the receiver and the unit. Mine didn't work more than 20 feet. I see lots of off brands on Amazon, not sure what to go with.
You have to go with a SMOKE from thermoworks, keep an eye out for a sale but it’s worth every penny.

Another vote for the Smoke. I had a Maverick and it was a pain in the butt to set the temperatures. ThermoWorks products are intuitive. And they work great. I've had mine for a year or two now and wouldn't go back to anything else.

^^^ This
I didn't like my Maverick at all. Couldn't calibrate it and it just quit working one day.
The Smoke is hands down a better unit all-around.

Last edited:
Another Vote for Thermoworks Products as I have the "Smoke",Chef Alarm, Thermopop and Thermopen Classic which are all great products.

Thermoworks is having a site-wide sale. Everything is 15% off. Though the Smoke was 20% off last weekend.

I just picked up the inkbird ibbq-4t with WiFi on an amazon flash deal for $80.
8BB8D8BB-F866-479A-B333-24C2225FA67F.jpeg
Haven’t used it yet, but it was pretty easy to set up over WiFi. It’s water resistant and has a magnetic base.

I like my Smoke X - it has great range, 4 probes, and if you ever want to hook up a blower f0r ATC you can do that too. Expensive, but worth it. Like a few others on the forum, I prefer to run without a smartphone app.

Also, Thermoworks customer service is really good. I had an issue with an old thermapen it had a loose connection in it for years and I had to wiggle the probe end to get it to turn on, and then it finally quit working after about 5 years. I called and asked if they could repair, they said they could for about $50 or so, but for a little bit more $ they gave me a deal on a new one.

Really can't go wrong with any Thermoworks product in my book.

I've been very satisfied with the Inkbird IRF-4S. Works great, has a fantastic range, and in a year I've only charged the batteries once.

Back