Man Wiviott has a tude but.......

Brian Quintal

TVWBB Member
So my Low and Slow arrived yesterday and I've read just about all of it already, this guy has quite a tude and isn't very complimentary of this forum. So keeping objectivity in mind is the "training" program worth it? Are these valuable lessons? Should I follow the lessons verbatum and will I be the better for it? I have a feeling some probably think this guy is a dink but I'm looking for objective opinions of his lessons and technique not on him personably.

Keep in mind that I have absolutely zero experience smoking.

Thanks in advance for your help.

FWIW, I've never read a book on smoking. I started here with limited experience using a kettle for years, but never a smoker. This site is THE PLACE for information on using a WSM. When you write books, you have to set yourself up as an expert.

Since you've already purchased the book go ahead and try out his technique. For me, the tips on this forum work very well. The WSM is a very basic and easy to use smoker. If you follow any of the recipes in the cooking section here, it's hard to mess up.

Paul

I started barbequing using information I read on this, and other forums.
I have Chris Lilly and Myron Mixon's books, and have found them informative.
I've learned more from my own experiences with barbequing than I did from reading it in any one specific source.

Bob

I got the Kindle version of Wiviott's book, "Low and Slow" and am into the second lesson of reading. Keep in mind that there is more than one way to do it. I believe his is a valid way. However, I doubt that I will recommend his book to others.

Myron Mixon's book (paper back) is on it's way.

I have learned a ton on this forum regarding smoking on my 22.5 OTG and will continue to follow this forum avidly. My new 18.5 Smokey Mountain should arrive tomorrow.

I'll report further...

Dale53

There are tons of ways to make great barbeque. Don't get caught up in one opinion. Take basics of temp. smoke, rub, sauce and experiment. Above all enjoy it

Raw food, fire & time. A little knowledge goes a long way. I keep notes on my smokes. This enables me to experiment and not have to rely on my fading memory... It sounds like you are trying to hit a home run on the first swing, first game of your rookie season. Just cook baby!!! :)

There are tons of ways to make great barbeque. Don't get caught up in one opinion. Take basics of temp. smoke, rub, sauce and experiment. Above all enjoy it

As a newcomer to BBQ this past summer, Low & Slow was my first guidebook to cooking on the WSM. In fact, it was Gary's BOOK that mentions this forum to go to for additional help, not a bad opinion in my mind. Also, the tone of the book is what it is. I cannot understand how the tone of a book really gets people upset - it's a book, read it for its information, it's not intended to be taken personal. If you do, you may want to stop reading period. I've never understood the hatred for Wiviott because of "the way he comes across" - I think it's an informative book for a beginner.

It teaches you how to read your smoker using your senses, not fancy gadgets. It tells you how to make a great fire and how to sustain it. Also covers how to make simple homemade rubs and sauces. It teaches you how to make basic backyard BBQ without worrying about injections, sugary sauces and fillers, and other junk. If your looking for a good, basic BBQ book, this is it. But like others said, use it as a base, and acquire knowledge as you go, from this forum and other sources. It's a lifelong hobby, much like golf or fishing...just don't take his tone too seriously.

I found about Gary before discovering this site. I visited his website upon purchasing my first WSM. I followed his program to the letter just to learn how to make great Q with this smoker. I was pretty pleased with the results. Yes, he is a character to be sure, but I enjoyed the advice and more importantly, the results. TVWBB has been the primary source of information for me for the past six years and I can't think of any book in circulation that remotely approaches it in scope or value.

I read the book. I feel like a clean burning fire that burns for a long time is key to good BBQ and the KISS fire and WSM set up is spot on. I get great results with it. I used to stress about slight temp increases or decreases but now realize this is just part of the eb and flow of good BBQ. But I have to admit I could do without the 'tude. Get past that and it's a good book with some pretty good recipes and advice in it.

I have nearly finished Wiviott's book and have to revise my earlier opinion. I think it has much value for a newcomer. If you "follow the plan" successfully, you can't help but get a good start.

So, put me in the positive column...

Dale53

I have only heard about the book, but what I have picked up from the comments is that his method is to lay out a specific plan and stick to it. I understand it is a simple straight forward plan. Putting any attitude aside, I would think that to be a good approach for a beginner. One of the things I've picked up from the comments that also makes sense to me is limiting the variables. I totally agree with this - especially for a beginner. There are a lot of comments on this forum where people asked questions about "why did that happen" only to find out they changed something from the last cook. Personally, I think the beginner recipes on this forum will do the same thing. There is so much good information on this forum that I can't justify buying it no matter the author.

On the other hand, I have avid readers in my family and many people just love to buy books. Hey go for it. Sure could do worse things with your time. I liken it to seminars that I go to for work. Some of them are a joke but I typically get a nugget or two even from the bad ones. I'm guessing Wiviott's book will yield some good nuggets.

I just found this site a few days ago and joined. Bought a WSM a few days later. Still getting ideas for the first cook, whatever that will be. I change it daily after reading different good ideas. Bottom line, the site is addictive, visit it several times a day with the occasional dumb question thrown in. Or, I guess it's that I just like to eat.

I've met Gary many times and you couldn't meet a nicer guy. His attitude should be construed as humor.
And he has a point about following his guide. You can get a LOT of conflicting information with a simple question here and on other boards. By maintaining a single source curriculum, you can turn out quality BBQ in five lessons without second guessing whether you should use water in the pan, foiling or if the vents are right. You do the five lessons, get your confidence up there and, after graduation, you make your improvements to the next cook ... For life. And besides, if you slightly deviate during the five lessons (and who doesn't?!), who's to know?

Gary's five step plan was originally on his personal website. The book really fleshes it out but the main points were there. I came to BBQ by way of that website having first started with a Smokey Joe and doing some decent BBQ on that. I doubt I'd have a WSM is it wasn't for what became Low & Slow.

Ditto what James said. That's how I learned and still learning.

...You can get a LOT of conflicting information with a simple question here and on other boards. By maintaining a single source curriculum, you can turn out quality BBQ in five lessons without second guessing whether you should use water in the pan, foiling or if the vents are right. You do the five lessons, get your confidence up there and, after graduation, you make your improvements to the next cook ... For life. ...

I agree with this. I've been BBQ-ing for YEARS but until I read the book and followed the directions never had the complete confidence I do now.

Many thanks to all for your opinions and insights. I think I'll do the 5 step program sounds like a way to get a good basic foundation. Looking forward to my first project. Many have mentioned beginner recipes on this forum where are they located I would love to take a look at them also.

When I started smoking on the WSM, I started with the recipes at this site.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html

Having never read any other books, I've found these recipes incredibly easy to follow, and have never had a bad result. Like many poeple have already stated, they serve as great foundations, which you can tweak and customize as you see fit. Hope this helps, and have fun!

Gary's book is a good source of information, especially for a new cook. I learned quite a bit from it, though I did not follow his entire plan.

I cooked several brined and marinaded chickens per recipes in the book, and learned about those processes.

I agree the tone/attitude should be taken tongue-in-cheek. Lighten up and laugh at yourself dangling all those wires out of your WSM. The book and experience has made smoking lots less stressful. I no longer obsess over temps and vent %. It's more set it and forget it, and it works great.

Back