Making Pulled Pork for my Greatest Critics... My Family

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have been working for over a year and a half to figure out exactly how my family likes pulled pork the best. I have learned through many cooking sessions a homemade rub that they really like. I have learned they like a spritz that is very little acv and mostly apple cider, they LOVE it double foiled to soften the bark, they like it more shredded then pulled, a little more of the spraying liquid and a lot more of the rub mixed in, and served on a lightly buttered lightly toasted brioche bun. I know that these specifics may not be seen as best practices for some of us here, but for my Biggest Critics it's perfect.
I mastered this for the first time about two weeks ago on an 8 lb shoulder. Everyone had in for lunch leftovers until it was gone. Then on Monday when my wife, son, and daughter brought me home a 11 lb pork shoulder and asked for me to do it the exact same way, I thought can I do it again...

So after some great guidance for this forum in this thread
https://tvwbb.com/threads/any-advice-for-first-cold-weather-long-cook-of-the-year.84573/
I was ready to go for it last night during a cold, windy night with snow flurries.

Here it the big shoulder ready to go on.
IMG_20201201_221655.jpg

Here it is at 1 am after being on the pit for 2 hours, it just barely fit. IMG_20201202_114916.jpg
Here it is at 9 am before it got wrapped. IMG_20201202_114933.jpg
Unwrapped for dinner. IMG_20201202_175920.jpg
Bone pulled right out and still steaming after a 4 hour rest.
IMG_20201202_175926.jpg
And pulled to the point that I would call it shredded. IMG_20201202_175933.jpg
And served simply with some chips and pickle.
IMG_20201202_175945.jpg

This shoulder was so good!!! But the best part was watching all three of my kiddos eating two sandwiches each. If I was making Pulled Pork for myself this is note exactly how I would prepare it, but for my Biggest Critics, My Family, I Will keep making how they love it.

But the best part was watching all three of my kiddos eating two sandwiches each. If I was making Pulled Pork for myself this is note exactly how I would prepare it, but for my Biggest Critics, My Family, I Will keep making how they love it.

This!

I will give my kids a hard time when they complain about something I make that they don't like. It's more about teaching them manners than my little bit of hurt feelings. When they're older, I want them to be appreciative when they may have a good meal in front of them, even if it isn't their favorite. But when I make something they like, they don't hesitate to let me know it's good. And that keeps me going and wanting to try new and different things. You're enjoying the journey, and your family is also reaping the benefits. Keep up the great work!

That looks really good, Michael, and if you're pleasing the family (and yourself), then that's the only "best practice" that matters. FWIW, I'd have at least three sandwiches if you put that in front of me! :)

R

They may be your biggest critics but they sound like your biggest fans also. Why do I feel a lot of love in this story? Great job. (y)
Yeah you got that right!!! My son said last night as I put him to bed, thanks for making the pork shoulder. That is why I had to go for it last night even with the wind. After rain on Monday night, I could not let him down...

Great job! Glad you figured out the secret.
Ron,
I think you got the right phase there, it was not that they ever said the didn't like the pork I made, I just become the only one that would eat it for leftovers, or my son would pick out all this pieces without bark, because those were too hard. I keep making changes to try to get it to where everyone fully enjoyed it. After seeing it go so fast for leftovers and then asking me to try to recreate it, I knew I cracked the code!

I have been working for over a year and a half to figure out exactly how my family likes pulled pork the best. I have learned through many cooking sessions a homemade rub that they really like. I have learned they like a spritz that is very little acv and mostly apple cider, they LOVE it double foiled to soften the bark, they like it more shredded then pulled, a little more of the spraying liquid and a lot more of the rub mixed in, and served on a lightly buttered lightly toasted brioche bun. I know that these specifics may not be seen as best practices for some of us here, but for my Biggest Critics it's perfect.
I mastered this for the first time about two weeks ago on an 8 lb shoulder. Everyone had in for lunch leftovers until it was gone. Then on Monday when my wife, son, and daughter brought me home a 11 lb pork shoulder and asked for me to do it the exact same way, I thought can I do it again...

So after some great guidance for this forum in this thread
https://tvwbb.com/threads/any-advice-for-first-cold-weather-long-cook-of-the-year.84573/
I was ready to go for it last night during a cold, windy night with snow flurries.

Here it the big shoulder ready to go on.
View attachment 19011

Here it is at 1 am after being on the pit for 2 hours, it just barely fit. View attachment 19012
Here it is at 9 am before it got wrapped. View attachment 19013
Unwrapped for dinner. View attachment 19014
Bone pulled right out and still steaming after a 4 hour rest.
View attachment 19015
And pulled to the point that I would call it shredded. View attachment 19016
And served simply with some chips and pickle.
View attachment 19017

This shoulder was so good!!! But the best part was watching all three of my kiddos eating two sandwiches each. If I was making Pulled Pork for myself this is note exactly how I would prepare it, but for my Biggest Critics, My Family, I Will keep making how they love it.

This!

I will give my kids a hard time when they complain about something I make that they don't like. It's more about teaching them manners than my little bit of hurt feelings. When they're older, I want them to be appreciative when they may have a good meal in front of them, even if it isn't their favorite. But when I make something they like, they don't hesitate to let me know it's good. And that keeps me going and wanting to try new and different things. You're enjoying the journey, and your family is also reaping the benefits. Keep up the great work!
Jim,
It drives me nuts when I work to get dinner made, and then they pick because they don't like that.... I was worried that pulled pork was going to get that way which is part of why making this turn around makes me so happy!

Michael

Every meal we prepare on our Webers will not always turn out the way we / they want, but if we keep at it we can find a sweet spot
that will satisfy our Greatest critics.

Now slide me a plate of that pulled pork goodness extra potato chips please.

That's a great story Michael, family first is the way Barb and I have done it too. Listening to comments and preferences and making adjustments that's the sign of a caring parent. Great Job!
Now cooking in the cold with snow flurries....well I'd have to think about that some. :unsure:

Back