looking for dedicated smoker, what do you recommend?

Jim Mathews

TVWBB Member
I currently have a gas grill for when I'm in a rush, a 22.5 inch kettle that's usually used for my rotisserie accessory or pizza kettle, and a 26.75 inch kettle that I use 90% of the time, for everything from slow-cooking ribs to grilling steaks. I do OK with ribs, haven't had great success with long cooks for brisket and pulled pork. Looking for something that's a dedicated low-and slow unit. I can go up to a BGE or Kamodo Joe, but would rather not spend that much if I don't have to. Thinking about the WSM of course, I also like the Pit Barrel Cooker. I'd consider a pellet smoker, I'd consider anything really. I'd like something that I can leave alone for long enough to leave for baseball practice, and not worry that the temp is going to spike.

I saw a big Kamodo Joe at a store last night, it looked pretty cool.

I smoke occasionally on weekends, we do entertain quite a bit, I'd like to smoke more if I had something on which I could get better results.

Thanks in advance.

I use the WSM22 and am very happy with it. Not super expensive and they can be found on Craigslist. The key is to use it and learn how it handles. Always good results as long as I do my part right. When I have had problems is when I screwed up. Practice makes perfect. You already know the great quality of Weber products so keep that in mind. Good luck with your decision.

The Summit Charcoal looks very nice. After that, I'd recommend a pellet grill myself. I like my Webers, but for long smoke sessions a pellet grill is hard to beat. Nothing to do but wait for your food to be done after it's started. Last Spring I was hoping the new secret grill coming from Weber was going to be them finally making a pellet cooker.

Jim, one additional thought, if you are smoking meat only for the purpose of the final product then maybe a pellet smoker would be your ticket, but if you want to smoke meat for the pleasure that the process gives you, then something like a WSM is the way to go. I look upon my smoking as a hobby and a way to please others. Part of that is to learn the mechanics of smoking and grilling different meats and other things also. The fun is in the learning and trying new things. If I just wanted to throw a brisket on and take it off and serve it when it is done, why not just go to a BBQ joint and get your finished product. I would rather go on the adventure of learning how my smoker works and how different techniques work as an ongoing process. I have been doing this for 3 years now and am still learning. It is fun and keeps my mind active. That is my long winded opinion for what it is worth. Good luck with your decision.

Jim, one additional thought, if you are smoking meat only for the purpose of the final product then maybe a pellet smoker would be your ticket, but if you want to smoke meat for the pleasure that the process gives you, then something like a WSM is the way to go. I look upon my smoking as a hobby and a way to please others. Part of that is to learn the mechanics of smoking and grilling different meats and other things also. The fun is in the learning and trying new things. If I just wanted to throw a brisket on and take it off and serve it when it is done, why not just go to a BBQ joint and get your finished product. I would rather go on the adventure of learning how my smoker works and how different techniques work as an ongoing process. I have been doing this for 3 years now and am still learning. It is fun and keeps my mind active. That is my long winded opinion for what it is worth. Good luck with your decision.

This exactly.

Pellet cookers work exactly as advertised, but for myself and anyone else who views cooking as a participatory entertainment frankly they're really boring. To each their own, but IMO you won't do yourself a better turn than by tinkering with the 'human element' of fire management.

FWIW I'm sure if you're in the mood to buy a new cooker you will end up buying one, but with a 22" and a 26" kettle you are already more than equipped to cook nearly anything for almost any amount of folks you're likely to be feeding.

I agree with Bob and Darren. I like to be part of the process. If this changes at some time I would definitely consider the pellet pooper. I have a couple of friends with them and they love them, but they would rather set it and forget it. I'm still kind of new to the charcoal/smoking process so the novelty might wear off at one point, probably not though.

Pat, I have been doing this for 3 years now and the novelty and fun is still there. Just look at all those on the forum who have been doing this far longer. There is always something new to learn and it is just plain fun. I have often said, the day I stop learning is the day I should be dead. Learning is FUN. For some things, the set it and forget it thing is the smart move but not this. It is fun and enjoyable. I am always meeting people that want to talk about BBQ. I just found out that one of my long term clients is doing a whole hog this Sunday. Never knew he was into Q and never knew he had built a pit in his backyard. The fun is in the sharing. I doubt that you will ever give up on this Pat. Anyone who reads your posts knows that.

I agree with Bob and Darren. I like to be part of the process. If this changes at some time I would definitely consider the pellet pooper. I have a couple of friends with them and they love them, but they would rather set it and forget it. I'm still kind of new to the charcoal/smoking process so the novelty might wear off at one point, probably not though.

I imagine the first discussions amongst carpenters sounded similar to this thread when the power miter saw first came out. "You're not doing yourself any favors Sonny if you can't hand cope those corners. You gotta feel that wood to really get to know it first." At least until the power tool adopters got all the contracts since they did the work in 1/3rd less time.

I was afraid it would cause a stink on here to even suggest a pellet cooker, I should probably just sell it and start going to BBQ joints and ordering like suggested. Instead, I'll continue to focus more on food prep than cook monitoring. Things like what seasonings and prep methods to try, etc. I'll enjoy that I can happily use my smoker 365 days a year in 0 degree weather or 105 degree heat without having to freeze to death or sweat my tail off standing over it. I'll also enjoy that my family argues about ever going to a BBQ joint and would rather have my cooking.

There are so many choices because there are different desires. If someone is looking for a dedicated smoker, a pellet grill should at least be discussed. If it didn't make great food, I don't think they would win competitions and constantly have all the old schoolers trying to get them banned. I have numerous grills and like them all for different things. I did just buy a slow n sear for my kettle to do some smoking there. Not that you can't without it, but I love gadgets and I only get grief about where to store cooking gadgets, never about actually buying them.

Jim, whatever choice you make, if you like the food, that's what matters most. I haven't felt limited in life or cooking due to a lack of highly developed fire management skills.

What Darren, Enrico, Bob, Pat G & Serge say.
Get yourself a WSM & have fun. If not, you could get the Slow 'n' Sear gizmo for your kettles. It gets some very good reviews. I have one, but have yet to use it. But as you state you want a dedicated smoker, get the WSM.

I would take a WSCG over a ceramic cooker, because it's more user friendly and doesn't weigh a ton. Plus it will never crack and backed by Weber's awesome customer service. That said, for brisket and pork butt you would probably be more than satisfied with a 22.5 WSM and save a lot of money. A 22.5 WSM plus an ATC (if you want one) is still cheaper than a WSCG or Kamodo Joe and you will be able to sleep all night.

I'd say WSM of course but the Pit Barrel cooker might be intriguing if I were you. I would think it'd be a little more set it and forget than the WSM and you are still cooking on charcoal.

Last edited:
Shane, you didn't create any kind of a stink or problem. This site is built on respect and friendship among people of differing opinions on the topic of BBQ. Obviously, since this is a site that is centered on Weber products, most of us have a built in bias for the Weber products. There are people here that use all kinds of different cookers including pellet smokers, Kamodo type cookers, stick burners, and so many more than I can name. All of them can make great BBQ. The important thing is that you are happy with what you are using. Like many here, I love all my gizmos and accessories while others won't use them and think just the basics are all you need. All thoughts are welcome here. We love to discuss these things here not to mention different cooking techniques. That is what makes us better cooks. I happen to enjoy the process. That includes both the fire control as well as the gizmos. We have a good time with it and joke about it. It is just fun. This site gives me a lot of pleasure in my life. Many things give me pleasure including my wife of 39 years, my daughters and my grand daughter. We have many threads that have people not in agreement but we don't get upset about it. Remember, we can all just agree to disagree. Just have fun and don't sweat the small stuff. I for one welcome your opinion and welcome it. I may not agree with it but you make me think and that is a good thing. My sister and I have very different opinions on politics but we just agree to disagree because the relationship is much more important. Keep chiming in as that makes all of us think. Sorry for the long winded rant. I do that some times.

I imagine the first discussions amongst carpenters sounded similar to this thread when the power miter saw first came out. "You're not doing yourself any favors Sonny if you can't hand cope those corners. You gotta feel that wood to really get to know it first." At least until the power tool adopters got all the contracts since they did the work in 1/3rd less time.

I was afraid it would cause a stink on here to even suggest a pellet cooker, I should probably just sell it and start going to BBQ joints and ordering like suggested. Instead, I'll continue to focus more on food prep than cook monitoring. Things like what seasonings and prep methods to try, etc. I'll enjoy that I can happily use my smoker 365 days a year in 0 degree weather or 105 degree heat without having to freeze to death or sweat my tail off standing over it. I'll also enjoy that my family argues about ever going to a BBQ joint and would rather have my cooking.

There are so many choices because there are different desires. If someone is looking for a dedicated smoker, a pellet grill should at least be discussed. If it didn't make great food, I don't think they would win competitions and constantly have all the old schoolers trying to get them banned. I have numerous grills and like them all for different things. I did just buy a slow n sear for my kettle to do some smoking there. Not that you can't without it, but I love gadgets and I only get grief about where to store cooking gadgets, never about actually buying them.

Jim, whatever choice you make, if you like the food, that's what matters most. I haven't felt limited in life or cooking due to a lack of highly developed fire management skills.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. I found this board because of the Heatermeter and have stuck around because of the awesome ideas and I really like my Webers too. I just prefer my pellet pooper for low and slow. Heck, I'd had an electric, gas and pellet smoker before I even new Weber made the WSM. I'm sorry if my response bothered anyone. I just immediately thought a pellet grill might be in the OPs interest based upon his description. A heatermeter or bbq guru ATC with a slow n sear (for moisture) on Jim's kettle might get him closer to what he's looking for as well.

Shane I doubt that anyone was bothered by your thoughts. I also have a couple of HM's myself. Saves me a lot of sleep. About the only thing we don't talk about here is politics and that is probably for the best.

Coming to 'The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board' and suggesting a ceramic smoker is probably not going to get much traction. LOL. Having said that, I recommend any size WSM for great results.

I'd say WSM of course but the Pit Barrel cooker might be intriguing if I were you. I would think it'd be a little more set it and forget than the WSM and you are still cooking on charcoal.

You can use the WSM as a PBC. All you need is the expandable cooking rack accessory. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FDOOP72/tvwb-20

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

When I have the time, I do enjoy the smoking/fire management process. I truly do. But I have 3 little kids, and next spring/summer they will be on 3 different baseball teams, and other activities year round (karate, scouting, basketball), so I am a bit more pressed for time. So I was thinking that if I had more of a set-it-and-forget-it cooker, maybe I'd smoke more often. And eating is my favorite part.

Can someone tell me about the slow-n-sear thing? How good is it? When I smoke on my 26.75 inch kettle, I do the firebrick wall, bank charcoals behind the wall in a fuse/Minion method, with a water pan over the charcoal on the coking grate. I can keep 250 for between 4-5 hours, with some spikes that are larger than I like. Will the slow-n-sear let me do a lot better than that?

Interesting that no one suggested a heavy ceramic, as those do seem o have a cult following. And I always come back to the Pit Barrel Cooker. That thing just looks right to me.

Back