Lockhart Style Sausage.

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I've been wanting to make some sausage in style of those Lockhart joints. (Kreuz, Smitty's, Black's). They a made in a distinctive C-shape. They are uncured sausages, and use bull flour binder which is an old school binder made from various types of flour like oats, wheat, corn, rice, rye.

20240127_122453.jpg

Hunk of flat from the freezer.
20240127_135808.jpg

Mixed up with brisket fat.
20240128_094309.jpg

Ground up using a 10mm plate.
20240128_104344.jpg
Mixed with the seasonings.
20240128_120016.jpg
My worksheet.
20240128_111828.jpg
Sausage linked up.
20240128_114718.jpg
Links tied up.

20240128_130712.jpg
Cooking it up on the kettle at 250 to 275.
20240128_131620.jpg
Finished links.
20240128_131743.jpg
Sliced.

Looks great! How was it, you happy?
I thought it was great! It's been forever since I've had the actually thing, and when I had it, it was at Lockhart Smokehouse(owned by the Schmidt family) in Dallas and not at one of the original places. Kreuz and Smitty's use some pork. I opted not to. Black's supposed uses all beef (I've seen conflicting things). They might use a finer grind. I don't know if I nailed it or not, but it was really good. The only other thing is they use a smaller diameter casing. I used what I had. It was very labor intensive to tie the ends. I'm glad I did a small batch for that reason alone. If I did it every day I'd be faster at it, I guess. I also normally use cure in my sausage. I think it gives a prettier presentation. The Lockhart places don't as far as I could tell so I chose not to.

I've been wanting to make some sausage in style of those Lockhart joints. (Kreuz, Smitty's, Black's). They a made in a distinctive C-shape. They are uncured sausages, and use bull flour binder which is an old school binder made from various types of flour like oats, wheat, corn, rice, rye.
Gorgeous links, Dustin! Been a minute since I've made any. Love the "C" shape.....what length were your links? 6"?

Rich

Making sausage is on my to-do list this Spring. Yours by the way look great. I do have a couple of questions. What was the total weight of the meat and fat that you used. Also, would you mind providing providing the seasoning ingredients ratios in your response. My eyesight is not very good any longer and I can’t read the %’s on your worksheet. Thanks in advance.

It was 2057grams or about 4 1/2 pounds or meat and fat. I tried to hit about 70 lean 30 fat, but I was probably to the lean side. In this case I used all beef because it was what I had. A mixture of beef and pork (with less pork) is more typical. I based mine off Blacks which is mostly beef. It might be everything but the hog casing.

I used 2% salt, 1% black pepper, .35% cayenne pepper, 4% Bull binder, 10% water. Those are percentages of combined meat and fat. I normally use cure#1 in sausages at .25%. Cure#1 is mostly salt so I generally reduce the amount of regular salt to compensate. This recipe was adapted from one by Bradley Robinson of Chud's BBQ and a fellow who posts by the handle "TheHojo" on BBQBrethren. I just took out the cure from his recipe but left my salt the same as I like slightly less salt than some others. If you like less spicy or more you can change the cayenne level easily.

Bull binder is hard to source. I got mine from:

It was 2057grams or about 4 1/2 pounds or meat and fat. I tried to hit about 70 lean 30 fat, but I was probably to the lean side. In this case I used all beef because it was what I had. A mixture of beef and pork (with less pork) is more typical. I based mine off Blacks which is mostly beef. It might be everything but the hog casing.

I used 2% salt, 1% black pepper, .35% cayenne pepper, 4% Bull binder, 10% water. Those are percentages of combined meat and fat. I normally use cure#1 in sausages at .25%. Cure#1 is mostly salt so I generally reduce the amount of regular salt to compensate. This recipe was adapted from one by Bradley Robinson of Chud's BBQ and a fellow who posts by the handle "TheHojo" on BBQBrethren. I just took out the cure from his recipe but left my salt the same as I like slightly less salt than some others. If you like less spicy or more you can change the cayenne level easily.

Bull binder is hard to source. I got mine from:
Thank you very much for the breakdown on the percentages. It is greatly appreciated.

Back