Ling Cod…who knew?

Richard S

TVWBB Pro
So I started a new job recently at a local Food Co-op. The store is incredible. It’s like a Whole Foods but smaller. Lots of great produce, meat and fish. One of the best things is that I can shop for dinner after work and just grab a few items (with my employee discount) and head home.
I have made excuses for years to not eat fish because it is hard to find fresh and wild options. Well…I no longer have that excuse! So I have been experimenting and trying to eat a little less meat.
This is just a simple Ling Cod seasoned with olive oil and lemon pepper. I didn’t get the crust I wanted but it was delicious. And only about $6 for the filet! I need to work on my fish grilling game but should have plenty of opportunities!2E4954A7-D064-4F05-92F9-9CF52C0065EE.jpeg

Looks great. When I was fishing for a living we ate Lingcod and other rockfish multiple times a week. One of the things I miss about living on the Oregon coast l, fresh seafood.

It’s one of the things I am a bit jealous of you “Coast dwellers” but, then I find a nice piece of Lake Superior whitefish and remind myself the “Mitten ain’t bad!”!

Ling used to be a substitute for cod, plaice or haddock for fish 'n' chips. It was considered a cheap cut. We loved it. Now it's de rigueur.
It was the same with monkfish. Until these arty-farty tv chefs got their hands on it you couldn't give it away. Now it costs a king's ransom! :mad:

Last edited:
So I started a new job recently at a local Food Co-op. The store is incredible. It’s like a Whole Foods but smaller. Lots of great produce, meat and fish. One of the best things is that I can shop for dinner after work and just grab a few items (with my employee discount) and head home.
I have made excuses for years to not eat fish because it is hard to find fresh and wild options. Well…I no longer have that excuse! So I have been experimenting and trying to eat a little less meat.
This is just a simple Ling Cod seasoned with olive oil and lemon pepper. I didn’t get the crust I wanted but it was delicious. And only about $6 for the filet! I need to work on my fish grilling game but should have plenty of opportunities!View attachment 34216
Richard, did you grill that Cod on the top grill on a WSM?

Ling used to be a substitute for cod, plaice or haddock for fish 'n' chips. It was considered a cheap cut. We loved it. Now it's de rigueur.
It was the same with monkfish. Until these arty-farty tv chefs got their hands on it you couldn't give it away. Now it costs a king's ransom! :mad:
Just a heads up this Ling Cod is different then the Ling Cod you are familiar with. This Ling cod is native to the West Coast and runs from Alaska down into California.

Funny you posted this we are painting my sons room and I found this poster he made for a class project. I think he was in second grade but in the photos he was 4.

My cousin and uncle both have charter boats in Depoe Bay Oregon. My cousin is the only licensed paraplegic licensed captain in the US.

Of course I caught the biggest Ling Cod that trip!

DE076384-C39A-479B-8E2C-B7150DB8D12D.jpeg

ABA4395B-D61C-4C58-BACD-9CF6FA102A55.jpeg

14D09FE9-99A3-4DB1-B1FE-8016FC170B65.jpeg

25A099AC-0E07-4E03-ACE0-1FC0AA713909.jpeg

Don't ever throw away that poster. So precious. Lings are terrific if you can get one. They pull down pretty strong at the bottom and let up as they come up. In the Bay Area, I would catch one ling and 5-10 rockfish per outing, if I was lucky. They are delicious. The biggest ones I ever saw were in Alaska. You could fit a soda can in their mouths, easy.

Don't ever throw away that poster. So precious. Lings are terrific if you can get one. They pull down pretty strong at the bottom and let up as they come up. In the Bay Area, I would catch one ling and 5-10 rockfish per outing, if I was lucky. They are delicious. The biggest ones I ever saw were in Alaska. You could fit a soda can in their mouths, easy.
Got these off of Bodega bay, Salmon too. One of my most favorite fishes to eat.
1628280451844.jpeg

Last edited:
Ling Cod is my absolute favorite fish. Even more so than Halibut or Walleye. Glad to hear you went with a light seasoning and let the fish shine through. Looks like you nailed it. And only 6 bucks!

Back