KISS SPOG butt and Adobo bacon

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Sunday I made a Keep It Simple Stupid butt using Salt Pepper Onion Garlic powder only.
Waited for the rain to stop first.

IMGP2879.JPG

Hickory and apple wood for smoke.
No therm probes, all vents open, foiled dry pan, on the 14.5" WSM.
She ran a steady 250-275 using Coshell minioned with Kb hickory briqs.

IMGP2882.JPG

First peek 2.5 hrs in, added a couple small beets.

IMGP2886.JPG

refreshment.

IMGP2887.JPG

Six hrs in I wrapped it in butcher paper and let it go another 2 hours.

IMGP2895.JPG

IMGP2917.JPG

First time doing anything with beets, they tasted okay, but were chewy.
Pulled pork, slaw, and beans were spot on.

IMGP2932.JPG

Had the same for lunch the next day.

IMGP4008.JPG

After an 8 day cure this 3 lb. slab of belly was ready for some smoke.
For the cure I used 3 TBS. Morton's TQ, and 1 TBS Penzey's Adobo seasoning consisting of garlic, onion, black pepper, Mexican oregano, cumin, and cayenne red pepper.

IMGP4012.JPG

I used a single row snake with Kingsford hickory briqs with small hickory chunks on top.
Smoked for 4.5 hours.

IMGP4017.JPG

I was surprised at how much the adobo flavor stayed with the bacon even after a good rinse. I'm sure the taste on bacon isn't for everyone.
I did add a little organic cane sugar and black pepper before smoking.

This morning's you know what.

IMGP4020.JPG

Yay!, spring starts this weekend!

IMGP2943.JPG

Thanks for the visit!

I like the way you did the PP sounds like it was spot on, got one coming up next week so I may give your technique a try. Also the bacon, I want to try something outside the box also. Not sure what I'll do yet, but something different.
Spring has sprung here too, we have a lot of flowering plum trees and some huge white flowering trees that are in everyone's yard that I have no clue what they are. We have to wait for the flowers to fall before we can grill again as the stinky flowers get into everything we cook outside when the wind blows.
Sorry. I'm done venting now.

The shoulder and pork belly look wonderful Bob. Like your KISS approach on the butt and that Penzey's seasoning sounds right up my alley. Photos are phenomenal!

Looks good all around, Bob.

Your adobo idea got me thinking: what about a chipotle bacon?

Oh yeah, I'm really liking the adobo bacon idea...
the photo of smoked bacon looks AWESOME!

And only salt pepper onion and garlic on your butt... That also sounds interesting.
Geezus Bob, you are an experimentalist...
Think I'm gonna try your adobo schtick next bacon-go-round...

by the by... Nice coozie, but what's in the bottle?

The pulled pork and bacon look amazing, Bob!

And I'm a big proponent of applying KISS theory to most aspects of life.

Wow Bob - you put on a clinic for cooking pig there. Simple always seems to be better for pork - that butt looks great - love the color. Any idea what temp you were running with the single row snake for the belly?

Regards,
John

Man those are some beautiful cooks. I envy those who get to eat your cooks. So, is that squirrel a red squirrel turning gray or a gray squirrel turning red? You photos are a work of art

Bob those pics and food are outstanding. The pulled pork looks fantastic and I always love your breakfast shots. Yummy!

Back