Kettle fried chicken

It works really well, Rusty.
Bob’s method is sound, I might experiment withthe dry wet dry method using buttermilk for the “wet” stage. I used the spray duck fat instead of PAM. I was a little pressed for time but about 40 minutes was close. I will keep trying this project!

A couple of days ago, my wife and I did wings and several large thighs using Louisiana Chicken Fry as directed on the box. I grilled them on a Performer using the Vortex. I carefully cleaned and oiled the grate before grilling the chicken. There was no sticking. I flipped the parts after twenty minutes. They were finished at thirty minutes. I used no oil (spray or otherwise). The chicken was quite crispy.

This chicken was a homerun! My only reservation, is that it could use a bit more seasoning. Next time, after battering, we’ll sprinkle a modest amount of Weber’s Kick N Chicken rub before rolling in the dry mix.

This is a SUPER way to do chicken! Thanks for the information to all and especially the original poster!

Keep on smokin’,
Dale53:wsm:

Bob i want to try your method, sounds great. Robert i added some more chyane pepper to the dry and wet for a little more kick.
What i really like is even a few days later i will reheat under the broiler and the meat is still moist.

Kevin;
We ALWAYS do more than immediately needed. I, too, found the chicken great after re-heating. This, I believe, will be my "go to" in the future. I can hardly think of a better paring than chicken parts, a Weber Kettle, and a Vortex. That is a combination made in heaven!;)

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
I am with you this is THE BEST way i have ever found to do chicken, i am amazed how moist the chicken is after it is cooked or reheated. I have not tried to do this with breast meat yet,but that is the next test.
Kev.

We made it again last night using a base of real mayo and dry seasoning. Came out okay but I still need to go a little hotter and longer.

We also tried the LA on some bone in pork chops, using mayo as a base and dry seasoning. Those I thought were excellent, the coating kept the chops very moist.

Next up Bob's version of shake & bake I think that might be the way to go with the JJ and a vortex..:cool:

Tried this method, Sunday, on the 18" kettle (drip pan in the middle and coals on three sides) with bone-in thighs and legs. I also used a whole chimney load of Western lump remnants for heat. My wife dipped the chicken pieces in whole buttermilk, and then she dredged them in a homemade flour mixture. (no mayo)

I wasn't sure how long to roast the chicken, so I pulled the pieces between 180° & 190°. Maybe I shouldn't have done it, but due to lack of grilling space, I placed the first batch in a vented pot while the last batch cooked. At mealtime, I was concerned the first batch would be soggy, but honestly, it resembled KFC in texture, and it was the hit of the meal!

I really like this method, and I may try the mayo slather next time along with Bob's method of using a shake & bake bag.

As for the Western lump, even after heating the entire chimney load, plus at least an hour or so in the grill, I still had a half chimney load left after I gathered the cooled leftovers.

I plan on getting some more of this lump as soon as the price drops.

I really like this method, and I may try the mayo slather next time along with Bob's method of using a shake & bake bag.

To be clear, I don't use the shake 'n bake breading, even though it might be fine to use.
I shake the pieces up in a plastic bag with Andy's seasoning/breading.

Last edited:
To be clear, I don't use the shake 'n bake breading, even though it might be fine to use.

But, to be honest, that’s what this whole style of cooking is really doing. I’d say if someone likes the shake and bake product, this is the method for the grill!
I like the buttermilk slant, I so that from time to time on the stove, why not here?

I plan to do some thighs for dinner using mayo and will hold off with the oil spray until I see if it needs it.
Hoping the mayo provides the needed oil.

I will do this sometime this week, I have mayonnaise but, no buttermilk! I will “enhance” the Andy’s mix I have and see if there’s more gusto.

You should try some Honey Butter on that chicken. I got hooked on drizzling honey on fried chicken eating at Browns in Chicago. Place on the north side does it even better by drizzling it with honey butter.
Last time I did KFC I warmed a stick of butter in the micro ( with a few squirts of honey and a pinch of salt) till it was liquid, then used that to baste the chicken.
Really good crust and great taste.:)

Tim

Right. I couldn't think of anything else to call the method at the time.

Not sure if this is available in other areas, but there is a good breading product called House-Autry that's popular around here.

EDIT: Shoot, we accidentally gave away all the chicken leftovers from Sunday's dinner to a friend of the family. Meant to hog it all to ourselves. :cool:

Last edited:
I did the mayo thing on 4 thighs yesterday, used a 50/50 mix of Andy's and House Autry (as mentioned by Rusty) and Duke's mayo. They didn't need any extra oil spritzing.
The skin was bite through tender but not crisp and the breading didn't stick well on a couple of them. I tried to crisp it up by going direct over hot coals.
Thinking about it, you have fat under the skin and you're putting oil (main ingredient in mayo) on the outside, so I think it will not get very crispy.
I'll go back to lightly water dampened, coated with dry breading, and a light spritz of oil. Your results might differ from mine.

I did the mayo thing on 4 thighs yesterday, used a 50/50 mix of Andy's and House Autry (as mentioned by Rusty) and Duke's mayo. They didn't need any extra oil spritzing.
The skin was bite through tender but not crisp and the breading didn't stick well on a couple of them. I tried to crisp it up by going direct over hot coals.
Thinking about it, you have fat under the skin and you're putting oil (main ingredient in mayo) on the outside, so I think it will not get very crispy.
I'll go back to lightly water dampened, coated with dry breading, and a light spritz of oil. Your results might differ from mine.

That's the exact results we got with the real mayo. When we used the light mayo the first time the results were better the breading stayed on and the skin was crispier.

That's the exact results we got with the real mayo. When we used the light mayo the first time the results were better the breading stayed on and the skin was crispier.
A quick check on light mayo shows the main ingredient is water, then oil, so my theory and your results make sense.

That's how I usually do mine, either right out of the brine or Styrofoam container (after defrosting) and into the bag.
Usually enough liquid on them to help the breading stick.

Tim

Back