Keep your gas grill clean...you've been warned!

So is that basically an air fryer?
More of an Infrared cooker, but also convection. There is a circle of gas jets between the outer wall and inner pot that radiates heat inward toward the food. The other nice thing besides making great turkey is you get all the drippings in a pull out cup underneath to make gravy. That does not happen with oil frying. Check out the reviews. Almost 5 stars.

I love fried turkey. The key is to put the turkey in the empty pot fill with water until it covers the bird, take out turkey and mark water line. Don't put more oil than the line and it will not overflow. The price and left over oil got was a lot so I got one of the Big Easy oil less turkey fryers and used it for many years. It was really fantastic. Crispy skin, juicy turkey, and done outside and fast. Over the years we used it, it paid for itself in the oil I saved. Sold it when we moved.
View attachment 46827
You need to find another one, stat! LOL

I keep 2 of these at all times (tho mine are older than your pic). In fact, one of mine is showing its age, so I have been on the lookout for another one. Over the years, I think I have bought about 6, including gifts for family members.

The Big Easy makes awesome chicken wings and for parties, I usually have both cooking wings at the same time.
Besides the Thanksgiving turkey, I also like to smoke a turkey breast, finish it off in The Big Easy, then slice and vac seal.
Voila - lunch meat!

Well, first of all friends don't let friends grill on gas grills. LOL Seriously, after reading all these posts about gas grill fires I had to chuckle. Why?
Because every summer if it gets dry in our forest they outlaw charcoal grills in favor of the much SAFER gas grills. These post show what a bunch of BS that these laws are. A well maintained charcoal gas grill is much safer than a gas grill in all situations IMO. I carry a small Napeolon gas grill in my RV because of these laws. Never have used it in the forest though. I just put it out front of the RV & hook up the tank when the law drives by that is what they see. When they go home for the evening I get out my charcoal grill, put it behind the RV & fix some real BBQ. And I have not set off one forest fire yet. You know what they say there is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak. Some laws were made to be broken & these posts show that. Gas grills should never be used in a dry forest. PERIOD.

Yep, learned my lesson on this VERY early with my Genesis (original). Sadly though I occasionally forget and have had a few small small grease conflagrations. But, bottom line I never let them get bad enough to fuel a large fire. The carbon on the bottom pull out drawer will fuel a really good fire though if allowed to build up. And not only that it smells nasty as well
Same here. At the very least, slide out the grease tray and scrape the crispy bits down the hole. They make great little wicks for a good fire.

Well, first of all friends don't let friends grill on gas grills. LOL Seriously, after reading all these posts about gas grill fires I had to chuckle. Why?
Because every summer if it gets dry in our forest they outlaw charcoal grills in favor of the much SAFER gas grills. These post show what a bunch of BS that these laws are. A well maintained charcoal gas grill is much safer than a gas grill in all situations IMO. I carry a small Napeolon gas grill in my RV because of these laws. Never have used it in the forest though. I just put it out front of the RV & hook up the tank when the law drives by that is what they see. When they go home for the evening I get out my charcoal grill, put it behind the RV & fix some real BBQ. And I have not set off one forest fire yet. You know what they say there is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak. Some laws were made to be broken & these posts show that. Gas grills should never be used in a dry forest. PERIOD.
I get where you are coming from, gas grills can flare up and be scary, but I think the real danger for starting fires in dry conditions, is with sparks that fly away from the grill. Whenever I use a chimney or move around coals there are embers that fly away to wherever. A grease fire in a gas grill will not have the same spreading potential, IMHO.

Tragic, tragic event that happened here recently: some people had a gender reveal party during hot dry windy conditions that sparked a fire and ultimately caused a fireman to lose his life. They are being criminally charged. That's hard to come back from. Have a care is all I'm saying.

I've never gotten to the point that I've had a grease fire I couldn't easily extinguish in a minute. Again, simply clean out your gas grill after 5-7 uses, depending on the amount of accumulated grease and carbon in the belly of the beast. Works every time!

Many if not most of us have both gas and coal grills. I love coal grilling but I simply cannot get the quantities, consistency, and time efficiency out of a kettle like I do from my Genesis ii 435 or 310. This is obvious.

Yep, cleaning out after every rib, chicken and cooks like Brisket are good ideas too. The low and slow coupled with fatty meats dripping for hours just deposits fuel all around your grill for that next time you fire it up on high. It then is hot enough to ignite all grease and get one heck off fire going.

I have had a fire even on a pristine clean grill. Too much refreshing beverage and lack of attention is the downfall. Yeah of course clean is better but it can happen even on one perfectly clean especially with a load of something like chicken thighs or a fatty steak. Yeah pay attention to what you do. It's just like driving but we forget that sometimes

I get where you are coming from, gas grills can flare up and be scary, but I think the real danger for starting fires in dry conditions, is with sparks that fly away from the grill. Whenever I use a chimney or move around coals there are embers that fly away to wherever. A grease fire in a gas grill will not have the same spreading potential, IMHO.
Well, when it comes to sparks & embers flying I don't have that problem. I have not used a charcoal chimney for a few years. So, I don't spread hot embers around. I put as much charcoal I need in the charcoal grill & use a propane torch, let it light lightly. And let it come up to temperature.
Jealous Devil & Quebracho lump charcoal are two top charcoals that you can put a torch onto & not get sparks. There are ways around the charcoal sparkler show. You just have to buy good quality charcoal over junk. And as far as a fire in the forest I would not want to be around a gas grill in dry grass up next to a RV trailer hooked up to a 20lb propane tank. That is pretty much what Chris A said in the original post. It was all they could do to get near it let alone control it. But the fact is; whether its a dirty gas grill or a charcoal grill that starts a fire its the human operator to blame. And when it comes to fires in the forest I don't see the fire guys checking to see if a gas grill is clean. Do you?

When the conditions are right it doesn't take much to start a fire. A cigarette tossed out a car window. A lightning strike. A piece of glass acting like a magnifying lens. A spark from a lawnmower or weed whacker or ORV. A steel jacketed bullet hitting a rock. Nobody is going to check on what you do, they just assume you are a responsible adult and will do the right thing.

I clean mine plenty in the summer but they get wrecked in the winter. I grill 4-5 times a week and I don't give it a full clean between the end of November and April. I also use my charcoal a bit more in the summer than winter so winter is hard on my gasser. My grills would last much longer if I didn't have this problem

Also i see grilling on reached out grills at rental houses something of a sport. No matter how wrecked the grill is I buy some good steaks and go for it. Nothing better than a perfect ribeye cooked on an absolutely reached char-broil. Anyone can cook at home but the away game is a thrill.

I clean mine plenty in the summer but they get wrecked in the winter. I grill 4-5 times a week and I don't give it a full clean between the end of November and April. I also use my charcoal a bit more in the summer than winter so winter is hard on my gasser. My grills would last much longer if I didn't have this problem
The trick is to find the motivation on one of those warmer winter days to give it a good "mini clean". Scrape and wipe everything down. Same thing happens with the car. Gets much more attention in the warmer weather;-)

Went on vacation to Tahoe, a grill of some kind was advertised but when we got there it was disgusting, I had brought my Libman to clean it but decided it was a waist of time.

Back