Keep your gas grill clean...you've been warned!

I use a 2" metal putty knife on everything....every one of my rehabs as well. I find my flavorizer bars don't need cleaning very often.

I do gotta get on this. I also noticed that I have so much droppings that it is completely blocking the small gap between the flavorizer bar and the cookbox on the top (north) side of the grill

Yes, clean the grill. Super heat to over 500*, let cool, then remove every part and scrape them and the insides of the firebox with metal putty knife or equivalent. For non-stick grease pans, use a plastic putty knife. Every two months to 3-4 times a year is not unreasonable.

My credentials include grill on a wood deck with wood roof 4' overhead and didn't burn the house down in 13 years. Had some small grease fires, but sold the house at a nice profit

Before I got my Ranch Kettle, I used to pre-grill hamburgers and brats at home on my Genesis Silver for HS football game concessions. The last game I did on the Silver was homecoming so I had about 200 Sam Club frozen 1/4# burger patties. So much grease was rendered from those awful pucks that I filled the grease tray three times. By the time I was finished, there was so much carbonized meat goo in the bottom of the grill, the grease couldn't drain and started to burn violently. Thankfully, closing the lid choked enough oxygen that I didn't have to resort to my kitchen fire extinguisher. It smoldered for a good 45 minutes. All of the flavorizer bars were glowing.

PSA: If this happens to you, fight the urge to get the garden hose out. You may put out the fire or you may create a burning oil slick flowing downhill to whatever is in its path.

saw this on FB genesis group and thought I'd share.

It isn't clear if this was a grease fire that spread or a gas line leak, but WOW.

1689279101867.png

edit: the video won't share, but it is on the Weber Genesis Club Group on FB

I watched the video on a larger screen and my guess at this time is a gas leak seems more likely than a grease fire causing a gas leak.

The flames appeared suddenly at the 5 second mark with no black smoke or any indication of a grease fire before the frames broke out.

I tried to go on FB to look at it. not gonna join a club. Maybe it's on YouTube? A gas leak is pretty rare event. Also on a RING video it's hard to know where the start really is because they take so long to respond

I tried to go on FB to look at it. not gonna join a club. Maybe it's on YouTube? A gas leak is pretty rare event. Also on a RING video it's hard to know where the start really is because they take so long to respond

Here's a few screen shots of 2-3 seconds.

1689287565067.png
1689287636483.png
1689287701252.png
1689287773029.png

aftermath: Looks like the cook box melted

1689288007292.png
1689288139414.png

Last edited:

Back