KBB on Sale @ Lowes

IMO start-Up charcoal grilling requires very little dollars, however, in the long-run it appears to be more expensive than the pellet, gas and electric grills due to the pellets, propane and electricity that keeps them running goes further than charcoal and thus saving dollars.

Last edited:
I looked into fuel costs some time ago. If cost is a key factor, it may be cheaper to cook indoors. ( yeah, what fun is that )

I recall the fuel cost from least expensive to most expensive:
Electric
Natural Gas
Pellets
Propane
Charcoal

Fuel cost is part of the total cost of good food and not all fuel can deliver the same flavor.

I picked up a couple of these at Wally World for $9.97 each. I like B&B lump, so I thought I'd give their briquettes a try.
Polish_20230403_233356976.jpg

And to make matters worse, they're now performing the common practice of "shrinkflation". The price of the 20lb twins was $21.98, while the 16lb twins they're selling now are $19.98. So while the price appears to be less, you're actually paying more per pound than before...
Brian. Good point. Not only is inflation whacking us but shrinkflation is adding to the misery. Packaged sausage went from 160z to 12oz and will prolly go smaller.

I picked up a couple of these at Wally World for $9.97 each. I like B&B lump, so I thought I'd give their briquettes a try.
View attachment 68568

Better late then never. This charcoal sells for under $10 all the time at Academy Sports if they are available in your area. It is superior to KBB, specifically in less ash & longer burn times, excels for low & slow.

I looked into fuel costs some time ago. If cost is a key factor, it may be cheaper to cook indoors. ( yeah, what fun is that )

I recall the fuel cost from least expensive to most expensive:
Electric
Natural Gas
Pellets
Propane
Charcoal

Fuel cost is part of the total cost of good food and not all fuel can deliver the same flavor.
Please complete your analysis of C/G/F into a pivot table, along with graphs, lol!

Better late then never. This charcoal sells for under $10 all the time at Academy Sports if they are available in your area. It is superior to KBB, specifically in less ash & longer burn times, excels for low & slow.

I do have an Academy Sports locally, which is where I buy B&B lump. So now I have a single source for all my charcoal and smoking wood needs. Order online, drive up, and they bring it out to the car. Now, if they would just put in a meat department...

I do have an Academy Sports locally, which is where I buy B&B lump. So now I have a single source for all my charcoal and smoking wood needs. Order online, drive up, and they bring it out to the car. Now, if they would just put in a meat department...
No meat at Academy, Lol, however these two sites deliver really good products:

Kingsford Professional is basically wood char + a starch binder + a tiny bit of borax so the briquets release cleanly from the pressing machine. I've not used it much for barbecuing but have used it some for grilling. I've not used it enough to have an opinion about flavor differences.

Hi Chris,

What are you using in the Smokey Mountain these days? I have always stocked up on the Kingsford professional when Costco has their spring sales but I missed it this year. I hate the smell of the original Kingsford as it is starting up.

Hi Chris,

What are you using in the Smokey Mountain these days? I have always stocked up on the Kingsford professional when Costco has their spring sales but I missed it this year. I hate the smell of the original Kingsford as it is starting up.
I'm still burning down the remainder of my stash of Kingsford Original. I've got several bags of Kingsford Professional that I may start using. When those are gone, not sure what I'll do. :confused:

Back