Just put brisket on

Sorry no photos. I totally forgot. Here is the "rubdown" :D
First off the brisket. It seemed to "stall" at about 155ish. So I assumed might be a good time for the brown paper. So out it came, brown paper wrap and back in. Temp climb was painfully slooooow. So I bumped temp up to 220. Still painfully slow and time getting short. (I had a target "sit down" of 430 to 5pm. Knowing I needed at least a 30 minute rest meant I had to pull no later than 415. So bumped temps yet again to 290 and did foil over the brown paper. Temp finally made it to 185ish (depending on where in the roast I temped it). So, I pulled it. then a short bit later pulled the ribs.
Bottom line my flavors were nothing short of incredible! Absolutely spot on for smoke and smoke ring. But, beef needed more hours at lower temps. I was not prepared for how long actually an only 8lb flat would take. In the end it had gone on at 180, (temp holding from 175-190. at 830 am. I started getting "nervous" as 230 approached and it was stalling out. So this is when I started to "push it". Sadly I also had the slab on and they did not benefit from this, (even though I had them on the top rack). So the brisket while delish was a bit rubbery (though not dry). Everything was VERY juicy and nice but all the proteins were a bit on the "rubbery" side (ribs not so much) but not my best work :(
If I had it to do over? I would not have slept in so late. My original plan was to be "up" at no later than 630am, and get the thing on the smoker by 7. As it was I slept in til nearly 830, rushed up, stuck coffee on, and was prepping the brisket while the smoker started, I got the binder on it, the rub, and it went on around 845ish.
So while not my best work, I learned A LOT from the experience. I am not discouraged. I think the brisket would have done well to get more to 180 without a "push" and THEN a wrap of brown paper until 195 or so then finished in paper and foil and a longer rest than 35 minutes.
I will be taking that experience to the next level :D
I am wondering as well if I can take the left over (not sliced) brisket, put the jus in a paper and foil wrap and get it back on low/slow and bring it up in quality a bit?

Another thing I noted, very solid temp control. Whatever I set the dial to, the thing held rock solid really no more than +- 10. Hell, I can't get my $1200 so called convection oven to hold +- 50 degrees! And here a $200 appliance using wood as fuel can hold +-10! Says something about LG "quality?".

Briskets can be a pain.
I’m running everything a little hotter these days, 250-275 I have had meats take forever at lower temp and I just wasn’t getting the results I wanted.
I need to do a brisket soon but freezer is full of pork butts.

Been there done that way too many times myself. It's called low and slow for a reason; every time I do that, I end up pushing the temps and the end result isn't what I wanted. I finally learned to get it going way earlier than I thought was necessary and let the brisket sit in the cooler for a couple of hours and success, moist tender brisket and no stress on me.
Got to give you credit Larry doing a brisket and ribs at the same time is something I would be afraid to try.

Thanks all. I learned a lot. I know the next time will be far better. I got thrown by the cut being only 8lbs and thinking "it can't POSSIBLY take that long". But it really did take (need) FAR longer than I would have ever thought. I think had I not had to push the brisket my ribs would have been far better as well. But sadly they were along for the ride

So today (this AM) I will throw on another slab o' ribs and not pushing them either! But, wondering if I take some of the jus from the brisket, and rewrap it with some of that, put it on say at 180 and let it go rest of the day, will it "soften up" a little or is it futile (resistance is futile) :D I would like to see if I can get it a little nicer to eat for my wife.
BTW these are the rubs I used. Recommended by one of the meat cutters at our little Cattle and Cream store in town. I gotta say rub flavors were awesome! I used the Swine Life seasoning on the pork and the Killer Hogs AP on the beef. Great premade rubs
20220918_095818.jpg

A reheated brisket will still cook so yes, it’ll become more tender on your reheat and heat through. And adding a little moisture will help it remain tender and not toughen up. However, too much liquid will turn it to mush so be wise and don’t over moisten it.

A reheated brisket will still cook so yes, it’ll become more tender on your reheat and heat through. And adding a little moisture will help it remain tender and not toughen up. However, too much liquid will turn it to mush so be wise and don’t over moisten it.
OK thanks for the advice. I will post back tomorrow how this worked out, but I gotta go get my slab on :D

Well I've had it on (wrapped as described earlier) sitting around 200 to 210. Took it off still wrapped of course. Poked it with my instant read. It's only gone up to 155. I'm just keeping it wrapped and resting. I guess I will see what it's like soon. Will follow up, stay tuned

Well the brisket was quite a bit better this evening than last. Still very juicy. It actually could have gone longer but I was feeding 2 95 year olds tonight and I had to call it quits a little before 430 so I could let the slab rest, crank the heat up to 430 and throw on some fresh picked corn from TJ's farm in Belvidere. Nice family they grow a nice product. Oddly enough my ribs though REALLY tasty were still not cooked quite enough. COuld have used another 60 to 90 minutes

One more step up in the learning of new equipment.
It is great you giving us real issues that could pop up on any grill.
And for your first true brisket you did good as you were able serve it and eat it.
Congrats

Took me a little over 15 hours to finish 3 briskets for a wedding Saturday night, pulled it off with 30 minutes to spare, used the sons PB5, done a great job. you can never pinpoint a length of time it will take to finish a big hunk of meat

Later today I plan on doing a cleanup in the grill. I'll post up some photos so people can see how the Smokehouse pellets perform in re to ash left behind, and how the grill performed from 2 long cooks with no cleanup in between (except for wiping down the grates while hot)

If I had it to do over? I would not have slept in so late. My original plan was to be "up" at no later than 630am, and get the thing on the smoker by 7. As it was I slept in til nearly 830, rushed up, stuck coffee on, and was prepping the brisket while the smoker started, I got the binder on it, the rub, and it went on around 845ish.
Well at least you got to sleep until 8:30!😬

Back