Just put brisket on

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well, today is first time for a brisket (flat). Got my mustard and rub on it and it's in the smoker on "smoke" setting P2. Right now holding between 180 and 195. Hoping to serve that bad boy this evening about 430 to 5. Figure I will wrap it in brown paper at 150 to 160, then later the foil over that to about 200. It's about an 8lb flat choice grade I figure about noon, a slab of backs will go on on the third rack, the brisket is on the 2nd rack (middle)
1663422673020.jpeg
1663422689960.jpeg

I have a front row seat for this as I am interested in how this cooker does with a big dense peice of meat. What kind bark,color,smoke ring,etc. Not took mention tenderness,and taste.

I don't understand the part where you're trying to cook a brisket in 8 hours at 185 degrees. .....

Unless it's got a programmed high temperature cook after the smoke.....

A really high temperature cook

But if it's just the flat it might cook pretty quick

I've cooked a 10 lb brisket in 9 hours.....at 275F

Well so far internal temp has risen 50 deg. Now at 102. I plan on increasing temp to 235 to 250 in the next hour or so. At this rate of temp rise I think it will work. Like I said. It's my first so be gentle. I'm learning :D

One advantage to the pellet grill is the ease of adjusting temperatures, may as well take advantage. Generally I think starting at lower end of the temp range to get smoke flavor/smoke ring and to begin bark formation is a good idea, and I think increasing temperature to finish the cook and help set the bark is a good idea too. I think it's Larry's first brisket of any kind on his new pellet smoker.... just guessing here, he'll let us know in a bit...

One advantage to the pellet grill is the ease of adjusting temperatures, may as well take advantage. Generally I think starting at lower end of the temp range to get smoke flavor/smoke ring and to begin bark formation is a good idea, and I think increasing temperature to finish the cook and help set the bark is a good idea too. I think it's Larry's first brisket of any kind on his new pellet smoker.... just guessing here, he'll let us know in a bit...
You just said smoke flavor and bark in the same sentence while discussing a pellet pooper. I’ll sit back and see how this goes. I’ve never been impressed with either off a pellet pooper. We shall see, though.

My concern is his serving window time is pretty tight...... I mean it will get done when it gets done and it will be good, hopefully, but when you've got a deadline to meet you got to have a good idea of exactly how long it's going to take to cook, rest, etc.

My concern is his serving window time is pretty tight...... I mean it will get done when it gets done and it will be good, hopefully, but when you've got a deadline to meet you got to have a good idea of exactly how long it's going to take to cook, rest, etc.
He's no rookie.

It's my first actual attempt. I made one attempt before on my Wolf a number of years ago. Sadly it went in the garbage so it never made it to the table :( So in reality on this cooker, this meat, I am a rookie
I now have the ribs on the 3rd rack, brisket has hit 155 and I think it's "stalled" a bit. I have the grill now set to 255 as well and I am hoping to wrap in brown paper by 2. And the ribs wrapping them by 3. Though I think I may be cutting all this too tight? I have my ThermoPro 829 on the meat. So I'm not lookin I'm cookin

Back