Just picked up a couple Redhead grills

What's the trick to getting the underside of the lid spotless ?
Mine doesn't even compare.
View attachment 93783
I definitely don't have the tricks. This is my first old school Hood rehab.
That porcelain enamel paint is pretty strong. I went over it with a wire wheel on my DeWalt impact gun to get the major of the cooked on grease then I used a scotch bright pad to get rid of the last little bit of haze. Then I hand buffed with automotive rubbing compound followed by a coat of car wax.

Also soaking parts and simple Green works well as a degreaser for me but I'm sure some people here have better options.

Last edited:
Word of caution. NEVER use ScotchBrite pads on any finish that is going to "show" i.e. the lid, control panel and so on. It leaves scratches in it. They're awful products to use. IDK why or how they can scratch up porcelain but they do. Use steel wool and a degreaser like Simple Green (or whatever you like), but NEVER NEVER use ScotchBrite

Zep degreaser products are my new go to. It is a a buck or two more than simple green in a gallon. I have a bunch of SS grates on a long-term (6 days) soak right now, in Zep Heavy Duty Citrus Degreaser, they look like I will be able to just rinse them off and be ready to go.

Also the Zep 505 is fantastic stuff, it cuts the carbon build up quite well.

View attachment 93777
@Jim Weber
Old school double side slit center tube.
Good call using the old ones. They're actually in really good shaped too
I wanted to make sure you didn't make the mistake of "I'll put NEW stuff in so that it will be BETTERer" - going on just the 'looks' of things....
There IS 'something' different about those old burners that just makes them last --- I haven't dug into it too deep, but I have to think it was a much better grade of SS. The coolness of the dual flames in undeniable! I'm not sure if it makes any real difference functionally or cooking wise - maybe minimal at best --- but its nice to keep them while you can.

I wanted to make sure you didn't make the mistake of "I'll put NEW stuff in so that it will be BETTERer" - going on just the 'looks' of things....
There IS 'something' different about those old burners that just makes them last --- I haven't dug into it too deep, but I have to think it was a much better grade of SS. The coolness of the dual flames in undeniable! I'm not sure if it makes any real difference functionally or cooking wise - maybe minimal at best --- but its nice to keep them while you can.
I appreciate it!

Ok, I was humbled so I took matters into my own hands, 45 minutes later, I'm done, thank God 🙃
New razor blades work wonders, thank guys, i needed a swift kick in the a**
View attachment 93788
Wow 45 minutes well spent!! Looks incredible!

This place is motivating and the knowledge and experience here is priceless. I have to say the good attitude and kindness to all here is refreshing and quite a surprise also.

Thanks, it did look great. That's why it was so easy to sell. You can do the same thing if you want to. Just take a look at the work @Bruce turns out. He's making money on his grills and he lives in rural Wisconsin.
Yah, but I would be very hard pressed to get $500 for grill like yours, even as well as you rehabbed it.

So I'm new to this old school Weber rehabbing. Discovered something cool today that you guys probably already know but here goes anyways. I picked up a run-down redhead a couple days ago and it had a piece on it that I didn't know existed. This piece is exactly what I needed. The left side flip up table on my 2000 has a slide arm to raise it up and down. I took a left side non-slide arm table off of another grill and converted it to a right side flip up table for my 2000 but when you stick the arm peg in the hole on the back leg in the down position to lock it in place it pulls the table too far back. And doesn't match the angle of the left side table with the slide arm. UNTIL NOW!!!20240620_104430~2.jpg20240620_104447~2.jpg20240620_105921~2.jpg20240620_105744~2.jpg

Last edited:

Back