Just picked up a couple Redhead grills

I consider myself cheap as well. I think a lot of my friends do as well...hahaha. For a one or two off personal grill, I find that totally acceptable. But for rehabs, if you go as far as deep cleaning the cook box, it just doesn't make sense for me. Rehabbing and flipping is more of a monetary thing and my time and health are well worth the price of blasting. I do have scars and many healed over wounds. Of course, you may not be as careless as I tend to be.

I consider myself cheap as well. I think a lot of my friends do as well...hahaha. For a one or two off personal grill, I find that totally acceptable. But for rehabs, if you go as far as deep cleaning the cook box, it just doesn't make sense for me. Rehabbing and flipping is more of a monetary thing and my time and health are well worth the price of blasting. I do have scars and many healed over wounds. Of course, you may not be as careless as I tend to be.
That makes perfect sense

Blasting a cookbox or about anything (on a scale that makes sense) would require a cabinet and VERY large air compressor. Plus all the material, electrical hookup (240) to run that large a compressor (looking for huge volume more than pressure here). The stuff don't come cheap. Even doing 7 or 8 a week, it would not make financial sense. Better off taking them to a business that does blasting on a commercial level. Save time, headaches and $$$$

Yah, I have seen them in blasting, all covered in a space suit looking thing with dust all over the whole room. Getting away from the mess is one of the big reasons I take it to someone else. And yah, I would have to do a lot of grills to make it worth while.

I've done sandblasting but it's been quite a few years now since I have. Everything you guys say makes sense. Hope you know that my questions are always genuine and sincere. Just curious to learn your guys's process. I appreciate the acknowledge and experience that you guys share here.

I'm new here. I've been doing teardown rebuilds of newer Weber barbecues Genesis and Summit for a while now. I'm excited now to start working on some of the older stuff. I picked up two so far and I have my eye on a couple more. This Genesis 2000 is like a Time capsule. I haven't cleaned it yet. I just got it from someone who had it in storage for many years. Other than the dirt and dust it looks to be in perfect condition with very little use. Even though everything in the cook box looks to be in great condition I ordered new burners from Weber and 9mm 304 stainless grates from QuliMetal and new stainless flavorizer bars from RC. The bbq is an excellent condition I just need to clean it. I kind of want to sand down the slats and stain them a more desirable color than the orangish finish from the factory but I might just leave it and keep this one period Correct because it is in such immaculate condition. Maybe I'll play around with the stain on the slats and types of wood on my other upcoming rebuilds. Maybe on the Genesis 1000 behind on the right.
I'm excited to be here and talk to some knowledgeable experts.View attachment 93092
I need to work on getting it cleaned up before the new parts get here. I got a new propane line installed today because the old one had an obsolete connection. Fired right up and got up to temperature very quickly.

I would be interested to know what everyone is paying for sand blasting of a cook box. A guy I know had 4 wheels done this spring at one of the local fabrication shops, and blasting was $75, which sounds spendy, but actually pretty reasonable. I have a bead blast cabinet at my work that I can fit a cook box into, I just wish I could do it on the clock, that would be awesome! But I have a guy who owes me a lot of favors that did the cook box on my S330, then I touched it up in the blast cabinet.

It is a very satisfying process, using a blast cabinet. But I have sandblasted in the past, and it plain sucks. Even in the astronaut suit, you get dust and sand everywhere, and it is a total mess.

I would be interested to know what everyone is paying for sand blasting of a cook box. A guy I know had 4 wheels done this spring at one of the local fabrication shops, and blasting was $75, which sounds spendy, but actually pretty reasonable. I have a bead blast cabinet at my work that I can fit a cook box into, I just wish I could do it on the clock, that would be awesome! But I have a guy who owes me a lot of favors that did the cook box on my S330, then I touched it up in the blast cabinet.

It is a very satisfying process, using a blast cabinet. But I have sandblasted in the past, and it plain sucks. Even in the astronaut suit, you get dust and sand everywhere, and it is a total mess.

I did a cookbox, 2 pairs of lid end panels, an entire 1000 frame including the frame rail for the flip up table and the small front apron that covers the manifold and it was about ~120.

I did a cookbox, 2 pairs of lid end panels, an entire 1000 frame including the frame rail for the flip up table and the small front apron that covers the manifold and it was about ~120.
That seems pretty reasonable to me and I'm pretty frugal. Still too much for the typical flip in my area but for myself and as gifts not bad at all.

There is no known cure. Once a Weberholic, always a Weberholic. I know several have used the twelve step process with some success, but it never goes away completely.
AI Generated, but hey, if it helps a suffering Weberholic, it’s worth it:

### The 12-Step Process to Cure Weberitis

1. **Admit Your Addiction**:
- "Hi, my name is [Your Name], and I'm a Weberholic."

2. **Find a Grilling Buddy**:
- "Join a support group for fellow grill enthusiasts who can help you stay on track and not buy that 5th Weber kettle."

3. **Turn to a Higher Heat**:
- "Seek the guidance of the Grill Master Above to resist the temptation of online grill deals."

4. **Inventory Your Collection**:
- "Make a fearless and thorough inventory of all your grills. Yes, even the ones hiding in the shed."

5. **Admit Your Shortcomings**:
- "Confess to your significant other and grill buddies the exact number of grills you own."

6. **Become Ready to Let Go**:
- "Be entirely ready to part with grills that haven’t been fired up in the past year."

7. **Ask for Help**:
- "Humbly ask your grill buddies to help you sell or donate excess grills. No hoarding allowed."

8. **List the Grills You’ve Wronged**:
- "Make a list of all grills you’ve neglected or left in disrepair and be willing to make amends."

9. **Make Direct Amends**:
- "Repair and refurbish those neglected grills, then find them new homes."

10. **Continue to Inventory**:
- "Keep a continual grill count and when you find yourself slipping, promptly admit it."

11. **Seek Grill Balance**:
- "Strive to maintain a balance between collecting and actually grilling. Remember, it’s about quality, not quantity."

12. **Spread the Message**:
- "Having had a grilling awakening, share this 12-step guide with other Weberitis sufferers. Help them find the balance between flame and frame."

Remember, the journey to recovery is a slow roast, not a flash in the pan!

Back