Just picked up a couple Redhead grills

I have found very few lids that have the fade problem other than black lids. The other seem to be pretty much immune to the "Weber Fade".

One thing about most of the red lids is that most of them have tiny black specs in them if you look close. It is normal and comes that way out of the factory. Sometimes more evident in one red lid vs another..

Also started working on my 2000 today. Made some decent progress. Disassembled 100% frame is in excellent condition so I went over it with rubbing compound and then put a couple coats of wax on it and then put the cart back together. Finished cleaning and grinding the inside of the cookbox and started on the outside.
My QuliMetal 304 SS 9mm grates showed up today. I'm very happy with them. Test run great fit.View attachment 93700View attachment 93701View attachment 93702View attachment 93703

How long did it take you to clean / grind / wheel that cookbox ?

I have mine sand blasted now, but I started out with the angle grinder and wire cup brush. I did quite a few that way. And it is tough dirty work. I will also warn that it is somewhat dangerous. Those angle grinders with the wire cup brushes can have a life of their own, especially if you use one that has the locking on off switch. I did the grinder dance in my front yard a few times.

I have found very few lids that have the fade problem other than black lids. The other seem to be pretty much immune to the "Weber Fade".

One thing about most of the red lids is that most of them have tiny black specs in them if you look close. It is normal and comes that way out of the factory. Sometimes more evident in one red lid vs another..

Ive got a blue one that seems to have some white specs in it... but I haven't really cleaned it up yet other then a 6" x 6" spit shine.

Once I do Ill report back with pics.

I actually enjoy it.
Seeing the transformation process and bringing it back to like new from whatever condition it's in.

I definitely don't have Bruce's experience.

I have mine sand blasted now, but I started out with the angle grinder and wire cup brush. I did quite a few that way. And it is tough dirty work. I will also warn that it is somewhat dangerous. Those angle grinders with the wire cup brushes can have a life of their own, especially if you use one that has the locking on off switch. I did the grinder dance in my front yard a few times.
How much does it cost to sandblast lid caps and cookbox?

Josh, I think you would get the job done a lot quicker with an angle grinder and wire cup brush. But, yah, the drill and wire brush are definitely safer.

I had kickback from my angle grinder with a flap disk doing SS Flavorizer Bars last week. I caught the outside right edge and it flung it out of my hands, past my face, and onto the ground. I think the pain in my thumb I have is from that incident. Made me glad to be wearing my face shield at that moment, and I’m much more careful and deliberate with my motions since then.

I had kickback from my angle grinder with a flap disk doing SS Flavorizer Bars last week. I caught the outside right edge and it flung it out of my hands, past my face, and onto the ground. I think the pain in my thumb I have is from that incident. Made me glad to be wearing my face shield at that moment, and I’m much more careful and deliberate with my motions since then.
Yep, exactly John. Kickbacks and losing control are very real issues. Then when it hits the ground with a locked on/off switch, it spins around in circles at 10,000 RPMS (Angle grinder dance). I still use mine on rust on frames and other parts along with cooking grates, but the sandblasting has been a huge game changer for me.

My DeWalt impact has some give to it so it will rattle instead of binding up. Pretty safe and easy to control.

I should be able to finish today or get very close to finishing everything including repaint and assembly. I'm going to stay with the original wood for now clean it up but I will be replacing all the wood when I get back from vacation.

Back