Just picked up a couple Redhead grills

Weber wood slats were made from cedar. You can get new cedar at many locations, but you will likely have to search through a lot of junky pieces to find decent ones. You will also have to plane or sand down to the correct thickness in most cases.
Perfect, thank you

I think some of the early ones were made from Redwood, but cedar seems to have replaced those fairly early on when they started cutting down on using Redwood lumber.

I think some of the early ones were made from Redwood, but cedar seems to have replaced those fairly early on when they started cutting down on using Redwood lumber.
Thank you

I've heard teak and maple but I trust you know what you're talking about. Haven't been able to get a clear answer.

I'm excited to be getting some new Stainless tomorrow. Should be getting my RCPlaneBuyer flavorizer bars and new burners from Weber which I have since learned here are just going to be my backup burrners and keep my original burners cookin. 9mm 304 SS grates from QuliMetal shouldn't be far behind. I think I am going to change the wood on my 2000. Feels like kind of a shame because it's in such good condition but I can use the wood on other project grills. Sucks I'm going to be pretty busy for the next couple weeks before I go on vacation for 2 weeks so I won't get to working on my 2000 for a bit unless I can sneak in sometime. Have to make a decision on my wood and how I'm going to finish it. The grill is in such good condition I wouldn't call it a restoration. It's more of just a freshening up project. I'm kind of torn on changing the wood. I want to change it to something I like better but on the other hand it seems like a shame to change out original wood in excellent condition.

Perfect, thank you
They were only made from cedar at the very beginning, which was 1985. By the 90's they were definitely made from soft maple. I know this because I have a friend that worked there during this time period as a quality control manager. You can also kind of tell by the weight of the wood, cedar is really light and maple is a lot heavier.

I'm excited to be getting some new Stainless tomorrow. Should be getting my RCPlaneBuyer flavorizer bars and new burners from Weber which I have since learned here are just going to be my backup burrners and keep my original burners cookin. 9mm 304 SS grates from QuliMetal shouldn't be far behind. I think I am going to change the wood on my 2000. Feels like kind of a shame because it's in such good condition but I can use the wood on other project grills. Sucks I'm going to be pretty busy for the next couple weeks before I go on vacation for 2 weeks so I won't get to working on my 2000 for a bit unless I can sneak in sometime. Have to make a decision on my wood and how I'm going to finish it. The grill is in such good condition I wouldn't call it a restoration. It's more of just a freshening up project. I'm kind of torn on changing the wood. I want to change it to something I like better but on the other hand it seems like a shame to change out original wood in excellent condition.
Do whatever you want, it's your grill. I doubt that the original wood on any grill at this point is really in good condition though. The handles are usually really bad, warped and cracked.

They were only made from cedar at the very beginning, which was 1985. By the 90's they were definitely made from soft maple. I know this because I have a friend that worked there during this time period as a quality control manager. You can also kind of tell by the weight of the wood, cedar is really light and maple is a lot heavier.
Great information thank you! So my (1993) Gen. 2000 probably has maple then.

Grey wood, if it is real wood and not Durawood, is simply painted wood, but I don't know what kind of wood is under the paint. Likely, something inexpensive.

Buddy, unless you have yourself a grill from the 80's there's pretty much no way it has cedar or redwood.
This makes me think I should look closer at the wood on the side table I swiped off of a roadside 80’s Genesis 1 w/out the thermometer. The Z bars looked in good shape, that’s the only reason I grabbed it.

Those grills came with a center burner that had two rows of slits run, one down each side - aftermarket replacements are one row down the center --- I'm not sure what real Weber ones will be...... but let us know. I'm betting that weber is just running with the B/C tubes in the 1000-3000 and just swapping out the 1" longer crossover tube..... (I would have to guess they know to do that)

My neighbor still has the originals in his 1000...... thats the only reason I know about them.

20240613_171429~2.jpg20240613_171805~2.jpg@Jim Weber Here is the update.
I just received my Weber burners from Weber and you were absolutely right. Center burner has a single row of slits on the top only instead of slits on each side like the originals. I will keep them for backups and use the originals on my restoration. Thanks again for the heads up.

Someone else asked about the Weber brand replacement burners and cross tube size so here is a pic of that also 13.5" long. Looks perfect. Anyone know if you can purchase the cross tube by its self?

Also my SS RCplanebuyer flavorizer bar came today. I'm definitely impressed. The workmanship is very nice the fitment is absolutely perfect and they weigh about 15 lbs. Solid investment.

Back