Just picked up a couple Redhead grills

I know you're a relative newcomer, I've been around awhile and gotta tell you over the years the incredible work I have seen some of these guys turn out is nothing short of miraculous. Honestly I think Weber should be hiring them or at least buying some of these restores for a display of some type in their own facilities
I wish I would have known of this place long ago. I would have loved to have seen how many great projects have been completed over the years here. I'm late but I'm glad I'm not too late. Glad I can still have a part of some of these builds and get to know some of these Craftsman here. I'm glad I'm still able to find project Weber's out there to work on. Also people nice enough here to give advice and help me find and acquire some of the hard to get parts. I'm learning more things here everyday and the kind and generous nature of the people here is a pleasant surprise. I am new here and feel like I've been welcomed like an old friend and I am thankful for that kindness.

Getting ready for my next build. I just ordered another set of QuliMetal 9mm 304 SS grates. I Also just messaged RCP for another set of flavorizer bars. While I was re-reading his ad on Craigslist it Said Grates also. I thought he wasn't doing grates anymore. So my question is should I send back my QuliMetal grates when they arrive and get RCP grates? This will be my third set of QuliMetal grates and they look fantastic and flawless. I haven't priced out RCP equivalent grates but I assume the price would be similar.

I just re-read RCP's ad again and it's unclear if he is selling Grates.

Last edited:
For the money I don't think you can beat those Qulimetal 9mm grates. One of the things that separates those from the ones Rcplanebuyer makes is the lack of a third support rod in the middle of the grate. It's not a huge thing, but that extra support is just another place for grease and carbon to collect and makes it slightly more difficult to keep clean. I would just message RCP and ask him if he's still making/selling grates. If he is they will be quite a bit more expensive than the really nice Qulimetal ones.

For the money I don't think you can beat those Qulimetal 9mm grates. One of the things that separates those from the ones Rcplanebuyer makes is the lack of a third support rod in the middle of the grate. It's not a huge thing, but that extra support is just another place for grease and carbon to collect and makes it slightly more difficult to keep clean. I would just message RCP and ask him if he's still making/selling grates. If he is they will be quite a bit more expensive than the really nice Qulimetal ones.
I will atleast price them out from RCP. QuliMetal Grates are $110+tax

My last set of grates from RCP were $160 landed in NY (early 2023). He was getting rid of the last few sets he had at a break even price according to his email and was not planning on doing them anymore due to the high cost of materials and lack of interest in them at the reflected regular pricing. Don’t get me wrong, Dave’s grates are the best without question, but the 9mm QM’s I bought on sale for less than $60 are the next best thing. If you’ve never had Dave’s grates, you’ll never know what you’ve been missing and the QM’s will impress. If you’re lucky enough to have a set of the RCP’s, you’ll never want to go back to anything else.

Perfect! Thank you for the info!!
I'm very happy with my QuliMetal 9mm 304 SS and this will be my third set. I'm not sad to have them. I'm not sure there would be any reason to pay more. There isn't anything I would change about them. Not having the extra support bar in the middle that Steve mentioned makes sense though. I think the combo of RCP flavorizer bars and QuliMetal Grates will hold up for the long haul. I definitely don't want to skimp especially in the cook box. Would have been cool to have both from RCP though.

Well I guess that's what I get for being late to the game.

When I bought my RCPlanebuyer grates, I bought them away from eBay, they were much cheaper that way.
It's been close to a year now, I had no idea he wasn't going to make them anymore 🤔

Yah, anyone wanting anything from RCPlanebuyer needs to contact him through one of his CL adds. He can save a lot on Ebay fees and will pass some of that on to you.
I just messaged him for another set of flavorizer bars on CL. We'll see what the price difference from eBay is because I just ordered a set of flavorizer bars from him on eBay a couple weeks ago. I wasn't here than and didn't know there was another/better way to buy from him other than eBay.

So I just heard back from RCplanebuyer.
He's only charging me $84.50 all in for his 13 flavorizer bar set through Craigslist. Where as a couple weeks ago I purchased a set from him and off eBay before I knew any better for 117.99 all in. So the savings through his Craigslist ad is quite significant.

RCPlaner is currently not making grates. The metal cutting shop that cut and chamfered the bars went out of business. Unfortunately in CA many small fabrication shops have not survived. Those rods are heavy so needs local cutting facility as he is geared up for sheet metal and freight for pallets of 3/8 rods shipping would be insane

Craig’s list is best way to make contact.
I just special ordered a pair of SS drip pan rails for my 2000 rebuild from him

RCPlaner is currently not making grates. The metal cutting shop that cut and chamfered the bars went out of business. Unfortunately in CA many small fabrication shops have not survived. Those rods are heavy so needs local cutting facility as he is geared up for sheet metal and freight for pallets of 3/8 rods shipping would be insane

Craig’s list is best way to make contact.
I just special ordered a pair of SS drip pan rails for my 2000 rebuild from him
I can't wait to start seeing some pics of your progress! I know you're almost done!

Couldn't pass up Ribeyes on sale!
20240627_111418~2.jpg
Best Ribeye I have ever had is on my Weber gas grills. I have perfected it over the years. What is the best way to cook a Ribeye? Opinion?

Back