Just picked up a couple Redhead grills

@Jim Weber I'm going to try to pick these up when I get home from vacation unless you want one. I'll offer $50 each. The one in Redmond isnt far. They are on Offerup
View attachment 94646View attachment 94647
I'm particularly interested in seeing the condition of the top of the Skyline lid as that's the Achilles heal of that particular model. The red lids almost always look good unless they are chipped or dented. Those both look like winners though, hope you get them!

I'm particularly interested in seeing the condition of the top of the Skyline lid as that's the Achilles heal of that particular model. The red lids almost always look good unless they are chipped or dented. Those both look like winners though, hope you get them!
Screenshot_20240629_213712_OfferUp.jpg
Thanks Steve! Me too. Honestly lid looks promising. Probably not as much sun fade here with all the rain year round

Yeah, it's always hard to tell from a picture. You know the trick of cleaning the lid up with 000 or 0000 steel wool and simple green ?
I used rubbing compound and then wax. That worked very well.

You're the expert though I'll definitely give it a shot.

I have plenty of that steel wool and Simple Green by the gallon

I used rubbing compound and then wax. That worked very well.

You're the expert though I'll definitely give it a shot.

I have plenty of that steel wool and Simple Green by the gallon
I don't know about expert, what you do sounds good too but the steel wool really shines when you're doing the inside of the lid after you razor blade scraper it. I always apply wax to lids and control panels as a finisher and use steel wool again on those surfaces. The same process works well on tank panels and even frames sometimes.

I don't know about expert, what you do sounds good too but the steel wool really shines when you're doing the inside of the lid after you razor blade scraper it. I always apply wax to lids and control panels as a finisher and use steel wool again on those surfaces. The same process works well on tank panels and even frames sometimes.
Thank you Steve I will happily take your advice anytime!

If I get both of these I'll have five Genesis 1000s up for restoration. Of the five four of them have wire racks on the bottom. Wood slats is by far one of my favorite things about these old grills so I'll have to purchase some Z metal for the bottoms of some of these.

If I get both of these I'll have five Genesis 1000s up for restoration. Of the five four of them have wire racks on the bottom. Wood slats is by far one of my favorite things about these old grills so I'll have to purchase some Z metal for the bottoms of some of these.
You know, I used to feel that way about the wire racks too but I've come to embrace them. Those grills still have slats and those wire racks are so easy to restore compared to bottom tables. The Skyline grill in particular has to keep it's wire rack, it's one of only three parts that separate it from a Genesis 1000 LX.

You know, I used to feel that way about the wire racks too but I've come to embrace them. Those grills still have slats and those wire racks are so easy to restore compared to bottom tables. The Skyline grill in particular has to keep it's wire rack, it's one of only three parts that separate it from a Genesis 1000 LX.
Yes I agree and I do like the wire racks but wood working is my thing. I like to build furniture and refinish old furniture. So I'm drawn to the wood aspect of these. So many great things about these 13 bar Webers though.

I'm definitely going to make one of my 1000s into my daily grill also
The whole reason I got into this was when I went to look at new grills. I figured mine was 25 years old and I deserved a new one. Well I was pretty disappointed at what I found and it wasn't about the money. The new Genesis models at the time were not even close to the same quality as what I had. That's when I decided to fix mine up and how I found this forum.

The whole reason I got into this was when I went to look at new grills. I figured mine was 25 years old and I deserved a new one. Well I was pretty disappointed at what I found and it wasn't about the money. The new Genesis models at the time were not even close to the same quality as what I had. That's when I decided to fix mine up and how I found this forum.
That's awesome Steve! With the experience I've had working on the newer ones I totally agree with you 100%.

You have collected enough of these now where you have enough parts to make yourself an extra nice one to keep for yourself and use on a regular basis. I hope when you do you make a nice restoration thread on it for us all to enjoy!

Absolutely I will. Maybe different than how I did my last one. Hard to string together all the progress pics spread throughout this thread.

Is it better to just wait till I'm finished and then post everything?

Now I don't want to go back to work. I just want to work on my Webers

Is it better to just wait till I'm finished and then post everything?
It's up to you. I've restored grills that I never posted anything on, which I think happens a lot here too. What I really like doing though is starting a thread on a restoration at the very beginning and following through with it till the end. I enjoy everybody else's involvement in the project and sometimes you pick up tips along the way that you didn't think of so it's a win win.

Okay you guys better start posting all your restoration projects. I'm happy to share mine but I want to see what you guys are building. Anything from a simple deep clean to an extremely high level build. It's all interesting to see.

Back