Just picked up a couple Redhead grills

I really like it down there in Arizona.
Our besties have a stunning place in Rio Verde that they just finished having built for them.
I would really dig a place down there too for the winter but maybe more so on the Scottsdale side of things.
Our other house in Cali doesn’t really have much better winters than Sequim and the summers suck compared to here.
We actually spend most of our time here because of the weather, nature and lack of people/traffic.
Maybe I’m just tired of California.
I dunno.
I explored all over the State of Arizona before building in 2020. Trilogy Vistancia ⛳ area of Peoria is my favorite. Quiet and not too busy or peoplie. Very well kept up. I do like the weather here year round though and it's not for everyone. When I retire I'll be here full time.

Washington does have some beautiful areas though also I spent a lot of time hiking deep in the mountains. I really like the Oregon coast also but it's just a little too cold there for me.

Last edited:
It looks like wide open area in Saddlebrooke.
Its a HUGE development --- I believe phase 1,2 and 3 are built out and they are working on 4 --- and there is still plenty of land for 5,6+++++
Its strange that is such a large development but still have to go 15-20 miles to stores..... well, 1/4-1/2 of that is just driving OUT of the development.

Its a HUGE development --- I believe phase 1,2 and 3 are built out and they are working on 4 --- and there is still plenty of land for 5,6+++++
Its strange that is such a large development but still have to go 15-20 miles to stores..... well, 1/4-1/2 of that is just driving OUT of the development.
I'd imagine they will build stores closer once the housing population can support it?

I think upside down is relative to what you prefer. It is true that some Weber grates were designed to be used specifically one way (And maybe yours are a set of those; I am not sure.). Other sets are clearly reversible. If you like the side you chose, no reason not to keep using it!
Ooh interesting. Thank you

I think upside down is relative to what you prefer. It is true that some Weber grates were designed to be used specifically one way (And maybe yours are a set of those; I am not sure.). Other sets are clearly reversible. If you like the side you chose, no reason not to keep using it!
Yea, they advertise the “triangle up” side of the grates for cooking “things like fish”.

After cleaning up many pairs of Porcelain enameled cast iron grates and seeing how the coating flakes off. I'm working on switching all my grates to stainless. Am I crazy or is this a real thing?

Also what is the point of the coating? Seems like good old-fashioned seasoned cast iron would be great?

After cleaning up many pairs of Porcelain enameled cast iron grates and seeing how the coating flakes off. I'm working on switching all my grates to stainless. Am I crazy or is this a real thing?

Also what is the point of the coating? Seems like good old-fashioned seasoned cast iron would be great?
There was a period where weber was putting a HEAVY coat of porcelain on the grates that crack-rust-expand and then flake horribly. I don't know when they switched out to the thinner coat of porcelain, but those grates actually hold up very well. I'm sure the thin porcelain still cracks, but on a much smaller scale where the grease can still protect it - but more importantly it doesn't separate from the base metal. Most of the problems come from extended periods of no use --- I don't know which is worse - (grease) dry or heavily dirty - but eventually some rust will form, but that can easily be removed and the grates re-seasoned. Those grates on that grill are fine and should last you a long time if you take care of them --- keep them greased and rotate and swap side to side occasionally and you'll be fine. I've been running the same style grates on my spirit for the last 8+ years with no issues whatsoever. As I keep trying to tell everyone ---- DON'T burn off the grates at 500++!!!!! Scrape them once the grill reaches ~350ish and everything comes off really easy and you can spread the grease across the grates. Burning it off removes ALL of that protective grease/oil. Best habit is to brush the grates at the end of the cook to knock crap off and spread the greases --- this has been working well for my WSM and kettle with plated grates..... and I've actually made the mistake of scrubbing them HARD with a SS scrubby and can see copper plating under the chrome.

I'm always surprise to see just how bad SS rod grates can get --- obviously they require some amount of care to keep them looking good too - so I don't see you buying any real benefit by swapping out perfectly good CI grates.

Last edited:
There was a period where weber was putting a HEAVY coat of porcelain on the grates that crack-rust-then flake horribly. I don't know when they switched out to the thinner coat of porcelain, but those grates actually hold up very well. Most of the problems come from extended periods of no use --- I don't know which is worse - (grease) dry or heavily dirty - but eventually some rust will form, but that can easily be removed and the grates re-seasoned. Those grates on that grill are fine and should last you a long time if you take care of them --- keep them greased and rotate and swap side to side occasionally and you'll be fine. I've been running the same style grates on my spirit for the last 8+ years with no issues whatsoever. As I keep trying to tell everyone ---- DON'T burn off the grates at 500++!!!!! Scrape them once the grill reaches ~350ish and everything comes off really easy and you can spread the grease across the grates. Burning it off removes ALL of that protective grease/oil. Best habit is to brush the grates at the end of the cook to knock crap off and spread the greases --- this has been working well for my WSM and kettle with plated grates..... and I've actually made the mistake of scrubbing them HARD with a SS scrubby and can see copper plating under the chrome.

I'm always surprise to see just how bad SS rod grates can get --- obviously they require some amount of care to keep them looking good too - so I don't see you buying any real benefit by swapping out perfectly good CI grates.
Okay thank you! Great information.

Stainless is the "real deal" Assuming you're referring to REAL stainless. Like RCPlanebuyer (Dave Santana) and the old original Weber grates (heavy 3/8" rods 304SS solid.) These are totally indestructible and only require a good brushing, steam blasting or scraping (whatever is your preferred method). And I've placed CI and good stainless grates on the same grill side by side. Cooked on both same time same temp. Give me SS ANY DAY of the week. There is no difference at all in quality of the cook, stick resistance or anything.
This group has the CI forever stainless haters, but here to tell ya, side by side cooking gimme SS all day ANY day

Stainless is the "real deal" Assuming you're referring to REAL stainless. Like RCPlanebuyer (Dave Santana) and the old original Weber grates (heavy 3/8" rods 304SS solid.) These are totally indestructible and only require a good brushing, steam blasting or scraping (whatever is your preferred method). And I've placed CI and good stainless grates on the same grill side by side. Cooked on both same time same temp. Give me SS ANY DAY of the week. There is no difference at all in quality of the cook, stick resistance or anything.
This group has the CI forever stainless haters, but here to tell ya, side by side cooking gimme SS all day ANY day
I just purchased the QuliMetal 9mm 304 SS for my 2000 and I think they will be great.

I would have bought grates from RCP with my Flavorizer bars if I could have. But I'm happy

Unless you don't care for all the upkeep they need. But the last set I used was in my Wolf. Constant headache to care for them. Seasoning/re-seasoning, take them inside in inclement weather or for the winter. Total PIA. yeah they cooked nice, but no nicer than the drop dead simple care from the ones Dave made for me.

Back