It's raining Skylines!

Thanks Jeff. And just in time for Halloween - a couple hundred bucks of new KingKongs for the family costumes.
Y2lvcGf.jpg

I like the look of that 520! All of them together look really good!!!!
Guess I will have to get married again and invite you to the wedding to get that one as a wedding present. :)

That skyline looks real familiar ;) Nice fleet love the matching covers. I have a Kong for my genesis 2000, great cover

That's a dandy Skyline patio queen. I'll see how the Kongs last over the winter. Weber CS gave me a part number for the Skyline 520 and of course I buy Kong version, put it on and its about 8" too long. I have a neighbor who says she can "hem" it however. Nice price on the Kongs, plus each cover came with 2-3 piece set of wire brush, tongs and/or cheap temp probe. Makes for great stocking stuffers lol! "Gee thanks, Uncle Tony, TONGS." And thanks again for talking me into buying that first Skyline this summer.

And thanks Bruce for the parts!

Strong work! I picked up a Kong cover for a silver B (on loan to the kids) two years ago, with the tongs, thermometer and brush too, it’s been outside for most of that time and aside from a little tree spooge, it looks great.
I didn’t share the tongs, they are pretty good for a “gimme”!
I really want a “Skyline”(3200, NOW!), you guys are killin’ me!

Made a stupid mistake today working on the skyline.

I am done with most of the work, but I realized I had not redone the logo yet. I blacked it out yesterday with some Rustoleum HH ultra in preparation for this morning which was supposed to be sunny, about 55 and NO RAIN, low humidity. So, I got out today and sanded the blacked out emblem so the kettle logo and WEBER stood out nicely. Then, I went and sprayed some of my red high heat paint into a cap and used a Q-tip to paint the kettle logo red. After three or four coats, it looked good and went to spray some of the clear gloss HH over the whole emblem to get the gloss look to the logo and rest of the emblem. I did three good coats and decided on one more final coat. I picked up the can and sprayed and immediately realized I had grabbed a can of HH black ultra. Well damn. I stripped all the paint off again and resprayed the entire emblem again with HH ultra. I was really proud of how good I did the red kettle logo and then I went and ruined it.

But, hopefully I can sand the face clean again and start all over with the red on the kettle and then finish it off again with the clear gloss.

It really made me mad when I did that, but I have made far worse mistakes when working on my grills. At least this one was easily fixable. It just takes a long time to do the whole process. It isn't delaying my finish really. I am waiting for the SS rod to arrive so I can fashion a new axle for the wheels and that won't be here for 5 or 6 days.

Oh yah. Another mistake I made today. I was spraying the cook box with HH flat black and finished one can. I grabbed another and the spray nozzle for some reason was not attached to the can. It was inside the cap, but not attached. So I attached it and proceeded to continue spraying the cook box. Well, it obviously wasn't the correct nozzle. It shot out paint like a spray gun. I had several runs on the paint. But at least they were on the lower part, side. With flat paint, they are not very noticeable. So, I kind of lucked out there. I used the nozzle from the empty can it worked fine.

Last edited:
That's a bummer Bruce, sorry to here that you had to do a redo on the logo. Can't wait to see that skyline masterpiece I'm sure you're making. My misfortune for the day was I missed a skyline in nice shape by a couple of hours 10 minuets from my house.....for $35:(

Bruce,

I think all of us who have worked on these old grills can totally relate! It seems when I am not doing something wrong to a grill I am injuring myself:eek:. Yeah, you do have to go back and start over sometimes. That persistence is why your renovations always looks so sharp, so stay encouraged.

Maybe I will still have a chance to finish mine at least close to when your Skyline is done. We need to photoshop a picture of everybody's Skylines into one big panorama display! I am starting to think the "Bruce Effect" is going to hit old Skylines being listed for sale;). That's a good thing if it improves their value. We've come a long way on this board from Skylines being referred to as the grill with the "weird pinstripe" on the hood! I think it is kind of fun to collaborate on restoring them, and I have enjoyed each person's individual take even as we have shared using a number of common elements.

Last edited:
Strong work! I picked up a Kong cover for a silver B (on loan to the kids) two years ago, with the tongs, thermometer and brush too, it’s been outside for most of that time and aside from a little tree spooge, it looks great.
I didn’t share the tongs, they are pretty good for a “gimme”!
I really want a “Skyline”(3200, NOW!), you guys are killin’ me!

Keep looking, Timothy, it is out there! Treasure hunting definitely takes patience and the ability to strike when the opportunity arrises.

Yah, my Skyline is going to be a little unique compared to what I have seen so far. Nothing as unique as the White Sox logo, but some definite obvious modifications.

There's a 2 burner Skyline in your area that I noticed a few days ago.

https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-natural-gas-grill/6702907940.html

Not exactly a steal at $100, but it looks to be in decent shape. It's an NG model though.

That one has potential if you can use the natural gas or if you have an extra LP manifold to swap out. I think he will have to come down some, but the Bruce Effect may be taking a toll!!! I would love to get a two-burner (as if I need one!:rolleyes::eek:)

That one has potential if you can use the natural gas or if you have an extra LP manifold to swap out. I think he will have to come down some, but the Bruce Effect may be taking a toll!!! I would love to get a two-burner (as if I need one!:rolleyes::eek:)

Its interesting about the propane vs nat gas in GA you can't give them away if its nat gas.

I dont see very many NG grills around me either. I do live in a relatively rural area though and NG isn't available for a lot of people. Still, I know many homes that I have picked up grills from had NG but they still run propane. I think it is partly a matter of it being more versatile to not be tied to a hose. I think they put wheels on them for a reason...most people tend to want to move their grills around. If you have the room and a great location, then I think NG would be ideal. But for most, propane is a better option.

I think the other big reason people go propane is that they don't have the required natural gas connection outside. Most would never consider getting it added either (heck, I'll bet a large percentage of people don't even know it's an option).

I'm just now considering adding a gas outlet on my deck now myself after a few decades of just using propane. I've never lived in a house that already had the gas connection available outside.

I wonder how many people really do move their grill regularly. I never do in normal usage, just for cleaning the deck and stuff like that. I guess some people keep them in a garage and thus wheel them in and out. I think I'm too lazy to move it every time I want to use it!

I think the other big reason people go propane is that they don't have the required natural gas connection outside. Most would never consider getting it added either (heck, I'll bet a large percentage of people don't even know it's an option).

I'm just now considering adding a gas outlet on my deck now myself after a few decades of just using propane. I've never lived in a house that already had the gas connection available outside.

I wonder how many people really do move their grill regularly. I never do in normal usage, just for cleaning the deck and stuff like that. I guess some people keep them in a garage and thus wheel them in and out. I think I'm too lazy to move it every time I want to use it!

My grandfather lived in a house that he had converted to NG.
When he did, he had lines run outside for his Silver B on the deck and the patio.

When he passed and we sold the house, we didn't need another Silver B, so we left it for the buyers of his house, a young family, giving it to them as a gift.
They seemed appreciative, but about a week later, it was on the front lawn with a free sign and there was a gigantic stainless monstrosity with an LP tank on the deck (not a Weber).

I remember thinking that it was just crazy to me that they would give up a great grill with NG connection for an LP grill when the NG connection was in the perfect location on the deck.

I have to use propane in my current location, but when I buy my own place I will probably add an NG line outside.

I actually have a line out in the yard...somewhere. There was an old sunbeam pedestal grill out there that I removed when we bought the place. I don’t remember just exactly where the thing was but, I think I’ve put my patio over where the line used to be.
I’m going to hold out for the 3200! No rush, I’d need to find a home for the recently refurbished Genny first and, I’m not quite ready for that.

Back