It's raining Skylines!

Yah, I just spend the second day on my skyline today. I got most of the parts cleaned up now minus the hood, end caps and cook box. I have decided I will break out my set of black knobs and igniter button for this build. I am also considering using the black end caps from the same grill the knobs came from and using them on my skyline making it an almost total black out. I am definitely going to do the red on the kettle on the name plate too. It should really stand out with the total black out. I will still have the Durawood side table and swing table. It would have been nice if I could have used the black lid handle as well, but it came from a Silver B with the newer rounded hood and hence corresponding end caps. No way to use the handle without changing the hood which would obviously destroy the skyline theme.

Bruce,
I have been saving a black Silver tool end cap and handle end cap. If I EVER get my slats done I have been planning on doing exactly what you are describing. It looks like we may have established a new Skyline standard with black knobs and trim and that red kettle:eek:!

Maybe you could consider trying the Krylon Fusion for plastic paint and painting black an older Silver handle that would fit on the Skyline hood. I think if done right it will last a long time. Key is THOROUGH cleaning with xylene or something similar. If you are using the gray durawood slats, the original Skyline gray handle is also a good choice.

Not my grill, but one with that handle:

29lodc9.jpg

Jon

The silver B I have out on loan has some firebox failure but, when it gives up the ghost I’m keeping the blue hood!!
I do realize that has not one cotton picking thing to do with Skyline restoration but, I just thought I’d throw that out there!

That is a two burner. I guess they were not limited to just the Genesis 1000 grills.

I have a nice Silver C sitting in my garage. I was contemplating just dropping the skyline hood on that, but then, I remembered that I couldn't directly move the wire basket over which is a must for for a Skyline IMO.

I have a nice Silver C sitting in my garage. I was contemplating just dropping the skyline hood on that, but then, I remembered that I couldn't directly move the wire basket over which is a must for for a Skyline IMO.

Bruce,
Are you talking about the condiment rack or the wire basket on the bottom? I am not sure I understand why you couldn’t use the condiment rack on a Silver C frame. The wire shelf on the bottom would be different in length, but you could eventually find a Silver or a Gold one that does fit.

Jon, I am talking about the wire basket on the right side. I would have to take a look, but I don't think it would be a direct move over to a Silver C frame....unless it went to the far right. I was thinking still in front of the control panel....but after looking at a photo of a Silver C I had done previously, I think you are right. If the hole in the frame on the left side isn't present, that could be remedied easy enough.

Now you got me rethinking the Silver C Skyline conversion again. I don't know.
I am leaving on a 10 day vacation tomorrow, so, I have time to think about it.

Yah, not my choice. Wife is driving the show. If it was me, we would be heading west. But, I am planning to have fun anyway.

Jon, I am talking about the wire basket on the right side. I would have to take a look, but I don't think it would be a direct move over to a Silver C frame....unless it went to the far right. I was thinking still in front of the control panel....but after looking at a photo of a Silver C I had done previously, I think you are right. If the hole in the frame on the left side isn't present, that could be remedied easy enough.

Now you got me rethinking the Silver C Skyline conversion again. I don't know.
I am leaving on a 10 day vacation tomorrow, so, I have time to think about it.

Bruce,
I did use an original Genesis extended frame (not a Silver) only because I wanted the 13 bar firebox. I do think that even though the area under the firebox is a different length that from the control panel to the end of the side burner is the same. I wanted my condiment rack in front often control panel instead of in front of the side burner, too,so that I could have a right side swing table. All I did was drill another hole on the other side of the frame leg and then add an angle bracket to hold the condiment rack. Here is a picture of that again that might make it clearer:

f2pkhv.jpg

I would think that would also work on a Silver C frame.

Last edited:
OK, I see how you did that. Looks great. I am anxious to get back and get to work on mine.

Bruce,
I did use an original Genesis extended frame (not a Silver) only because I wanted the 13 bar firebox. I do think that even though the area under the firebox is a different length that from the control panel to the end of the side burner is the same. I wanted my condiment rack in front often control panel instead of in front of the side burner, too,so that I could have a right side swing table. All I did was drill another hole on the other side of the frame leg and then add an angle bracket to hold the condiment rack. Here is a picture of that again that might make it clearer:

f2pkhv.jpg

I would think that would also work on a Silver C frame.

Nice work around Jon and to spare you from another PM thanks for the part number.;)

It's still raining. I just aquired one that I didn't know I was interested in until I joined this place. More to come😀

Back