It's HOT !

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Four days in a row, 90*+. Finally, expecting rain and 80s on Wednesday.

After three hours working in the yard, I'm beat.

I know how you feel Steve. This past week we've had three days over 100 and very windy the rest were in the mid 90s. I was working in the garage cleaning up my WSM so I can sell it and it was miserable. It's a west facing garage and when the sun started beating in I gave it up.
At least we don't have the humidity like some do which makes it feel much worse.

H635444559456214212100044951_Arizona_Its_a_Dry_Heat.imgopt1400x60[1].jpgere it's a

I've been in that 'dry heat'...I think it was 110-120* in Scottsdale back in the day (before global warming).
Like you I have a western facing garage-they heat up late in the day.
Drink lots of water all day long. Stay cool

At some point whether or not the heat is "dry" doesn't make a darn bit of difference...it's just plain HOT!;)

We're supposed to get temperatures close to 90 as well as possible rain in a couple of days...it'll be interesting to see what the heat indices are.

I'm fine all the way up to 100. Once it gets over that it's just miserable. The A/C really can't keep up anymore and gets hard to sleep. Its seems like it gets hot and stays hot until late at night. Eventually I kind of get used to it, but it's miserable until then. The worst was when we had this massive drought with record days over 100, many over 110 and then the drought ended all at once. All the lakes in the area almost down to nothing filled in a few days and then floods.

Geez we're only in the mid 80's and I am drenched from sweating just washing our cars in the shade no less

Hit 101 today for about 2 hours then dropped down to 97. Dogs wouldn't go outside unless they had to go potties then right back in.
Going to be a s*** Summer... again.

Geez we're only in the mid 80's and I am drenched from sweating just washing our cars in the shade no less
You must be absolutely THRILLED with the current forecast!

Upper 80s and low 90s with high humidity and occasional rain for the next 6-10 days. Not all that unusual for places like St. Louis and the Ohio River Valley (they can be wretched in the summer), but definitely above normal for the Upper Midwest.🤬 I was thinking about grilling some chicken thighs tomorrow night, but now the air fryer is looking like an attractive option...

Last edited:
You must be absolutely THRILLED with the current forecast!

Upper 80s and low 90s with high humidity and occasional rain for the next 6-10 days. Not all that unusual for places like St. Louis and the Ohio River Valley (they can be wretched in the summer), but definitely above normal for the Upper Midwest.🤬
One of the reasons I spent a shade over $10k 18 mos ago on a totally new top of the line super high efficiency HVAC system. Furnace 99% forget the AC rating but highest efficiency unit in my size. Furnace is 50k btu smaller than what they took out yet is so efficient that even during the worst of our polar vortex periods it has never needed more than 63% output to maintain 72 deg in the house, The new AC unit has the new type compressor that can stage in output and fan speeds from a high of 36k btu down to 3600 btu and maintain humidity levels without over cooling the house.
The control system is connected to the internet and the systems use weather forecasts, actual temps and humidity outside, what's called for inside and is able to adjust output and fan speeds to keep everything comfortable. We also had a totally sealed direct vent gas fireplace installed in place of the drafty old wood fired one. Even that unit is 83% efficient. Made by same company that makes BroilMaster grills. Even has remote control.
So yeah I can cocoon in comfort when needed :D

The weather people here totally missed most of June.. We had some early warm days in the first week of June, and the predictions were for high temps and no rain the rest of the month.

It never got over 95 and then last week it was below 90 all week and we got a lot of rain.

Suppose to get near 100 this week, but that's just an Oklahoma Fourth of July. I'm sure the media will be issuing dire warnings for us to stay indoors and protect ourselves from the heat, with detailed instructions as we've never lived through an Oklahoma Summer.

Its just another summer.

The control system is connected to the internet and the systems use weather forecasts, actual temps and humidity outside, what's called for inside and is able to adjust output and fan speeds to keep everything comfortable.

Larry, how well does it run if it loses it's Internet connection? And do you have an ironclad guarantee that the remote servers will be maintained basically forever? Are you on a free grace period? What's the monthly charge like?

While I don't disagree that on the surface these are all desirable capabilities, personally, I do not trust the state of current implementations in the least. I would be willing to bet that your energy usage and patterns will be [aggregated and] sold, and there's no way that a one time charge would be sufficient to maintain the back end systems. I also fully expect that some time down the road that the back end services that your control system depends on will no longer be available. In that event, what's the fix? Change your control system? At who's expense? Run without connectivity (see disaster recovery above?) Actually, that's another good one. What's the SLA on the back end systems?

Our new refrigerator has WiFi capability & a control app. I categorically refuse to connect it, for a whole raft of reasons (not the least of which is that it's a FRIDGE, it does not need to be connected.)

Been so dry here and super windy that I did the dishes and put the sponge in the rack when done and I came back an hour later the sponge was completely dry and stiff as a board. Don't even dry the dishes just put the in the dish rack and 5 minuets later put them away completely dry.

It still runs near perfectly. It simply reverts to the other non optional thermostat function then. The company (Heil) has 2 version for the same HVAC system. One internet connected and the other only connected to sensors in the AC unit outside that measure ambient conditions (temp, humidity and barometer). With the internet it can "anticipate" a little better is all and gives you remote capability.

Dogs know best. My lab has learned to head to the air conditioned room in the garage rather than the porch with shade. I'm easy, when she wants the AC she gets it....

Back