It gets a little hard when folks get there late…

Especially if it was overcooked to begin with. The #1 mistake people make with a ham that's already fully cooked is taking it to 160 when 120 is all it needs.
When it's not a big crowd, I've taken to slicing off what's needed and warming it in the microwave. Why heat the whole ham to 120 when you're only going to eat two or three slices?

My relatives, age 84 to 95 do the same. Maybe one day i will learn. Cause it took a lot of effort to eat that many sandwiches, and make jook, rice porridge with ham..

My sister in law was 1.5 hrs late to her own altar. I was my brother's best-man and he was freaking out. That was about the 100th time she had been late to something...I consoled my brother by reminding him that his future wife was not at all fit for this convention we call 'time'

Anyone else got worthless relatives who want to take home containers of leftovers......that others paid for?

My wifes cousin and his wife/kids often joins our holiday meals at her moms because his parents live 1400 mi away. This isn't a cousin they never see, her brothers work with him got him a job with them. So one of them sees him everyday. My wife usually pays for most of the food for the holiday meals... In addition to helping cook it all at her moms.
...... Her cousin's family always wants leftovers to take home...... Even brought their own containers before and filled them without even asking..... Her cousins wifes dad moved to town and they asked if he could come too.
...... My wife's mom grudgingly said yes........ He was a POS nobody liked...... And he took home leftovers too.

Come the next holiday..... The cousin's wife threatened that if her dad couldn't come.too they wouldn't come. Their kids are my wife's moms Great nieces and nephews, so she wants to see the kids. That said , she said nope sorry. Don't want him here. They still come without him now

Last edited:
Funny stuff, family. On my wife's side, the family always makes a ton of food for get togethers, holidays, birthdays etc.. The expectation is people will get leftovers. Heck, when my wife and I throw a family party, we won't let them leave without their full share. My wife and I couldn't possibly eat all the leftovers and theyd get tossed out.

But once in a while there's something that's in high demand and limited leftovers. For years it was my smoked, glazed ham. I'd inject it with a rub mixture, score it and smoke it for hours, then glaze it. The family loved it. One Thanksgiving, my wife had made containers of leftovers for all, including the ham. My mother (RIP) asked to get a bit extra to put in some of her cooking during the week. She was in her mid 80s and living by herself. So my wife certainly obliged. Mom got a bit more than the rest. Sometime during the time people were getting ready to leave, my brother's girlfriend (the brother that's always late) snagged my mom's ham container and put it in her bag (everyone got a bag of containers). My mom was asking where her ham was just before she left. My wife, being none too shy, a professional engineer, manager and part-time bully, she tells everyone we're going to check all the bags and find out where it went. I had to get a Scotch. I was somewhat entertained. I watched as my wife searched for the missing ham. Reminded me of when Bogart searched the ship for the strawberrys. Well, the strawberrys.. uh eh.. ham was discovered in the girlfriend's bag and given back to mom. We didn't see that girlfriend for about 3 years after that. LOL :ROFLMAO:

We've had a particular few ask for leftovers. It was a bit annoying, but not a huge deal. When we entertain we always go overboard on the food, and we are eating leftovers for weeks, not to mention the space it takes up in the fridge. Of course some is frozen for another time, but we get tired of the same thing each night. We went to Sam's and bought leftover containers and now as we are cleaning up (a few help out), we fill the leftover containers and divide them up. Saves us from having our fridges filled up with large foils pans and dishes the next day. Only rule I have is no special orders. You take what you get and you don't get upset. I'm not spending the evening trying to figure out what each individual wants and trying to keep track.

With the price of food these days, you guys must be millionaires. lol

Why cook so much extra?

Why cook so much extra?
1) It's the way I cook, if I'm cooking for more than g/f & I.
2) Our guests nearly always thoroughly enjoy what I make, if not completely raving about what comes out of my smoker.

I bought a case of take-away containers 2 years ago...... and that's about two thirds gone. :)

Why cook so much extra?

When I my extended family travels to my place it is rare. They like to host due to convenience of kids, grandkids, dogs, etc. I always bring wine and a side dish or dessert or cappuccino, and will often be sent home with food.

But when they do come here I smoke enough meat for 2x to 3x the number of people coming and send everyone home with few ribs, at least a pound of pulled pork per person or smoked chicken or all of the above.

Anyone who's not family? Well they might get something but no guarantees :D

Feeding my family and friends does not happen seven days a week, when I am lucky enough to have a “gathering of the clan” I want to do a good, fun, delicious feast!. I send leftovers home for people to enjoy another day and, it relieves stress on the poor generally over filled fridge!

Back