It gets a little hard when folks get there late…

You're right, it takes planning and experience to be able to get three or four dishes done at the same time and on the table.
There's a show on FoodTV with Robert Irvine called "Dinner: Impossible." The premise is that he shows up to a venue with 2 sous chefs, is given a premise & timeline for dinner, along with a couple of curveballs along the way. While it looks like he really knows foods, he's even better at the organizational & timing aspects.

I was brought up to be timely for work, church,or a family function. Then when I the military I hand a strong Cheif Master Sergent, and being early was burnt into my being.
But I do have freinds that "as I say" will be late to there own funeral!!! .
But I would way early for this meal heck I would set the table and whatever was needed to make dinner possible. Great cook Larry. A good Rib roast is way up on my list, and this looks very good.

Truly habitually late people are very frustrating to be around or do anything with. Truly habitually late people are so reliably late that you could bet your paycheck on them being late and be rich in short order. They always have an excuse like the traffic. I know 2 people that are truly habitually late. My older brother and a friend that I shared many interests and activities with. Eventually, both became so frustrating to be around that I stopped putting myself in positions where their lateness meant anything to me, and eventually stopped doing things with either. You know they're habitually late when you stop asking or listening to their excuses, and eventually they stop offering excuses. Mind you, it took many years for me to get to that point with these two. Everyone thinks it's funny until one day you realize this guy really doesn't give a crap about anyone else waiting on him and you have wasted a meaningful part of your life waiting on them and even missed out on things because of this disrespectful person. Habitually late people aren't funny and I no longer wait for them.

I've started to implement a policy with the worst habitual latecomers. I just start without them. meetings, leaving for events, whatever it is. I just decided that its fine with me if it's awkward for them when they show up late. Obviously that's easier to do with some than others. Somebody who shows up right as dinner is being served is awful. That disrupts everything!
Same here. At my house, we are planning to eat around 1/2 hr after we tell everyone to arrive. Most are on time though, as they know that we feed them well, and the food doesn't last long. ;)

Everyone thinks it's funny until one day you realize this guy really doesn't give a crap about anyone else waiting on him and you have wasted a meaningful part of your life waiting on them and even missed out on things because of this disrespectful person. Habitually late people aren't funny and I no longer wait for them.
How true
It only takes three strikes with me now, learned that lesson long time ago.

Yes, it’s irritating but, this is a season for compassion and loving your brothers amid all their faults, the product all ends up in the same place anyway. Granted, the initial presentation was less rare than I wanted but, it was delicious regardless. The gathering was still pleasant.
I just need to be more specific when offering the invitation! That has now become MY cross to bear.
And a happy New Year to all! NYD will be more buffet style!

Yes, it’s irritating but, this is a season for compassion and loving your brothers amid all their faults, the product all ends up in the same place anyway. Granted, the initial presentation was less rare than I wanted but, it was delicious regardless. The gathering was still pleasant.
I just need to be more specific when offering the invitation! That has now become MY cross to bear.

You are a tolerant gentleman. I'm sure the meal was still great.

As for being you cross to bear, only if you want it. In my many situations with those I mentioned, they put that cross on me, but I eventually tired of the weight. Life is short, my time is shorter. I won't allocate it to waiting for people that disrespect my time over and over again.

Bearing the cross isn’t that hard, you (I) just need to tip the arrival times in my favor, easy enough.
Im a little surprised that this seemingly mild complaint has grown into an almost…
”Get off my lawn” grumpfest.

I understand and can accept that things happen to cause a person to be late. Flat tire, traffic accident, or what ever. But to be late just because you don’t care, or you feel it is not that important is in my book one of the most disrespectful gestures a person can do. It is not that hard to be on time

If I tell you something's going to be ready at X:XX..... It'll be ready.

I have no idea how people who can't manage that hold down a job. That kind of responsibility and punctuality carries over into all aspects of your life.

If I tell you something's going to be ready at X:XX..... It'll be ready.

I have no idea how people who can't manage that hold down a job. That kind of responsibility and punctuality carries over into all aspects of your life.
Yeah, LOL. My brother wanted to be a fireman before he became a LA Co deputy sheriff. My elderly mother made jokes about being late to fires. My other friend was a charter pilot for a while. Neither occupation seems tolerant of tardiness.

Generally if I tell friends of long-standing that things will be ready at XX:00 that means cocktails.
As this guy does not drink, I said DINNER is at 5:00, come early for appetizers and chat, he arrived at 4:58, “We” were not terribly pleased. Grand daughter was, she is not much of an “early” eater even though I had told her parents what the plan was, they were here at 2:30! It was still a grand day!

My philosophy is “Never penalize the punctual”. If an event (dinner, meeting, anything) is supposed to start at a set time, that when it starts at my house. If you’re late, you miss out on everything that started on time.

My philosophy is “Never penalize the punctual”. If an event (dinner, meeting, anything) is supposed to start at a set time, that when it starts at my house. If you’re late, you miss out on everything that started on time.
When my wife and I married 36 years ago, we told everyone that the wedding would start at promptly at 2:00pm. We were told that "weddings never start on time"; even our photographer, who'd done hundreds of weddings, said he'd never seen one start on time.

I said "mine will." They all laughed.

We started at 2:00. Not 2:01, not 2:02, but 2:00. And yes, a bunch of people arrived late because they didn't believe me.

New years dinner at MIL was same as always.
Cold ham...done early and sliced completely and put on a platter. Where it sat for 30 minutes.
Undercooked or under heated sides /rolls because were rushed at last minute.

Too many people in kitchen trying to help........but no plan from start. Just letting different people do different things in a chaotic manner.

Its not hard to keep things warm until everything is ready.

Back