Instant Pot, What a Machine

My first attempt at Hot and Sour soup. Not quite as good as my favorite restaurant but pretty darn good for my first attempt.

FOMuOcS.jpg

And with practise you'll get more adventuresome too!

Looks good to me :) By the way, post the recipe in the Odds and Ends Recipe forum ��

The recipe I used was very similar to this one. I used both shiitake and Baby Bella mushrooms-all traditional vegetarian though. Next time I'll try some chicken or pork strips.

Don't know if I posted this earlier but sous vide a steak with the Ultra
http://www.instantpottips.com/sous-vide/instant-pot-sous-vide-steak/

Thinking about trying this weekend. One steak per bag. Unfortunately, I like med-rare and wife likes med-well (how anyone could eat med well I don't know :confused: ) but it's a small challenge to try to get both done at the same time.

Figure I'll do both at my temp then take mine out and up the temp/leave her's in for say another 10-15 min?

Anyone tried to do two levels of doneness to arrive cooked at the same time?

edit--I had posted earlier but I'll leave it in this post.

Last edited:
Don't know if I posted this earlier but sous vide a steak with the Ultra
http://www.instantpottips.com/sous-vide/instant-pot-sous-vide-steak/

Thinking about trying this weekend. One steak per bag. Unfortunately, I like med-rare and wife likes med-well (how anyone could eat med well I don't know :confused: ) but it's a small challenge to try to get both done at the same time.

Figure I'll do both at my temp then take mine out and up the temp/leave her's in for say another 10-15 min?

Anyone tried to do two levels of doneness to arrive cooked at the same time?

You should see what my wife makes me do a steak. You'd cry. When I do steak I start hers like 30 minutes before I even let the rest of our's touch the grill. Yeah it's that bad

I'd sous vide both to the same temp and just reverse sear hers for another minute or two on each side.

have you figured out the temp & seasonings yet? Maybe roast some garlic next time you have the oven on & squeeze some of that in there, or I keep thinking bail or rosemary but haven't tried that.......and salt......and pepper. Or EVOO infused with fresh garlic (I have a jar of that in my fridge I was playing with on potatoes earlier this week).

For the temp - how you gonna do that? I was thinking 115F for an hour or two or ?, then sear to your finished temp, or you could take it to 125 (or whatever your desired doneness) , then chill in the fridge for ~15 minutes & then sear?

I wonder how chicken would be, marinated/sous vide cooked with lemon/pepper/basil/etc..... Jucier?

......i'm still not on the sous vide bandwagon but I have cousins who sing its praises

Instapot Accessories: I got the glass lid so I can store the pot in the fridge like a normal stock pot, and I just got a 2nd inner pot.

Good idea.

So far I've done prime rib steaks (130o S&P & gran garlic), spares, chicken soup, basmati rice, chick peas for hummus and the piece de resistance: cheesecake :D !

Everything turned out perfect.

Back