Instant Pot, What a Machine

Thats a good lesson. Now you'll never make that mistake again. Experience is a wonderful teacher ;)

I've found if I make a mistake, I'll remember to do (or not do) something the next time. If it's just written down as part of a recipe, I usually forget to do (or not do) that thing.

It's being delivered today but can't use it till Christmas :(

Looks like we are going to have some instant pot cheesecake with Christmas dinner. Woo-hoo!

Just delivered. This thing is big: heavy sucker at 15 1/2 lb ! You've really got to make sure you've got the room to store it cuz this is big.

Can't show it as I'm not supposed to know :D . But it's in the box
0MRSOm6.jpg

Last edited:
That looks similar to what I got. It's a box in a box with a bunch of packing material around it.
Well done IMO to protect from damage.

Tim

Ya know, I know the 8 qt would be too big (2 of us) BUT I've got a 7 qt slow cooker that just holds 5 lb of short ribs so I probably could have handled it's "hugeness".

I'll still have to move my bread mixing cambro downstairs though to make room for the IP in the cupboard.

Something else: it can sous vide :D Other than swirling the water, getting heat from all-round will do it. Whoo hoo!

I had no Idea they came out with an 8 qt. When I bought mine the 6 qt was it. Time to upgrade ( I cook for 5-6 ) and hand that down to one of my boys.
I like that sous vide idea Len, any info on how that works?

Tim

Found out online. IIRC you set the temp where you want, set a timer and you're good ( food in bag etc).

Here's a quote:

• Easy sous vide cooking. It sounds fancy, but the Instant Pot makes it easy. With a generally hands-off approach to cooking, the Ultra is taking it one step further. Cooking sous vide in the IP doesn’t require a circulator to keep the water moving while cooking which is the trick to sous vide in the first place. Instead, it holds the water at the proper temperature for desired cooking within a five degree range, making it pretty precise and pretty failproof.
Can't find the specific link right now but if you google for "sous vide in an instant pot", there are lots of references.

Not sure if all I.P. will but I know the ultra will.

This is a link that describes it. Other links are contained therein

http://www.instantpottips.com/sous-vide/instant-pot-sous-vide-steak/

Always wondered:

Note that many restaurants have been using this method of cooking for decades: this isn’t a new fad that’s suddenly hit the scene. Restaurants can prepare a number of steaks at different done-ness and keep them ready in their sous vide baths until an order comes in. Then they’re snatched from the bath, given a beautiful finish with some searing, and served to your table.

Last edited:
Good link Len:)
I have the duo, and it reads like it can do, but I will upgrade to the ultra.

Tim

I hope you guys are happy. I just put an Instant Pot on my Christmas list. The sous vide capability pushed it over the top. Just being able to set a specific temperature and have it hold that, sous vide or not, gives it an enormous advantage over virtually any crock pot I've seen. It looks like now I can retire the dimmer box I made to control the temp in my slow cooker. Assuming Santa is feeling generous.

My mother-in-law makes a delicious braised brisket similar to this. Very common in Jewish families, not sure how my Lutheran mother-in-law got started with this, but it was a Christmas Eve dinner tradition for many years. A brisket flat seasoned with Lawry's Seasoned Salt and paprika, topped with rings of sliced onion, browned under the broiler, then water added and covered with foil and braised until tender, mushrooms added at some point during cooking. Refrigerated overnight. Brisket sliced cold, back into the liquid, foiled and heated through in the oven. No ketchup sauce up front or corn starch slurry at the end...but a very delicious way to enjoy brisket. Wish I had some now.

Last edited:
My mother-in-law makes a delicious braised brisket similar to this. Very common in Jewish families, not sure how my Lutheran mother-in-law got started with this, but it was a Christmas Eve dinner tradition for many years. A brisket flat seasoned with Lawry's Seasoned Salt and paprika, topped with rings of sliced onion, browned under the broiler, then water added and covered with foil and braised until tender, mushrooms added at some point during cooking. Refrigerated overnight. Brisket sliced cold, back into the liquid, foiled and heated through in the oven. No ketchup sauce up front or corn starch slurry at the end...but a very delicious way to enjoy brisket. Wish I had some now.
Good to know Chris. Tks. Now I won't be as cautious about trying it this way.

To continue (rather than start a new thread in a smoker forum ;) ): I did 4 lb of spares today. Did the "meat" setting at 20 minutes. Let it sit on the "warm" setting for 50 minutes (sides weren't ready and I wanted to make sure the ribs were done).

Well, they were fall-off-the-bone (not my first choice). Then some whiskey bbq sauce and under the broiler she goes. They were good BUT next time I'll do it for 15 min and try not to do the "warm" cycle.

Four pounds of spares in 20 minutes! Priceless :D

FYI.

Back