IMPS #130 - Beef Chuck Short Ribs - First Time on New 22.5 WSM

MickHLR

TVWBB Fan
Finally got around to smoking some beef short ribs on my new WSM yesterday. Beef ribs come mainly in two IMPS cuts, the #130 are the chuck ribs, above the brisket area. They are ribs 2-5 and come 4 ribs to a rack. The IMPS #123A short ribs are in the short plate area behind the brisket, and are ribs 6-8...and come 3 ribs to a rack normally.

I know a lot of people use mustard to bind your rub. But, personally, I like to use Tabasco sauce. It just seems to give anything that faint hint of spice on the end that I like.

IMG_7813_zps9n9zdaep.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And, by "rub" consists of the same thing I use for brisket...salt and pepper.

IMG_7815_zpsp5dzbtvh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

WSM set to 250* with the Auber temp controller. Put them on at 10:30am. I'm used to smoking beef ribs at 275*-300* on a stick burner, but turned down the WSM to 250* as a test. It took 8 hours, and I'm used to doing them in 6 - 6 1/2 hours, but that was fine. They turned out well.

IMG_7816_zpss0ade1lq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now, it's time to sit back and enjoy some adult beverages and wait.

IMG_7819_zpsos3agqvu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

4 hours in, and starting to look good.

IMG_7827_zpsrxib59xl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The next pic is at the 6-hour mark. I started spritzing with an apple juice and apple cider vinegar mixture at this point. They still felt a little too resistive when poking them at this point...and I wanted them to feel like butter.

IMG_7828_zpsz3ztx5zl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

At the 7-hour mark...spritzing again.

IMG_7831_zpsugzn69bq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pulled them at about 8 hours.

IMG_7837_zpshu1hjwqb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

55126bce-869d-4be6-8dc6-e6a58ba2e0c5_zpsdyndctyc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

They turned out pretty good!

IMG_7841_zpsaextd75b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mick, that is one gorgeous cook. Absolutely amazing. Those short ribs are spectacular and that plate shot is as nice as it gets. Love your grilling area. That is my goal someday.

Beautiful ribs Mike. Very nice pavilion too, love to build one like that but it's almost as big as my whole backyard.

Mick
Those chuck short beef ribs look killer.
I can see water in your water pan along whole cook.
I couldn't remember from previous posts if you love water in your WSM OR it is only this time

Mick
One more question: you don't tim at all the meat side (despite the hard fat I can see on it).
Do you suggest to leave it on site?

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I do love my patio, and spend a LOT of time out there...whether I'm grilling, smoking meat, listening to music, sipping on some bourbon, or just occasionally watching TV. :) It is also a good place to congregate when we have people over, and a fire in the chiminea makes the evenings pretty enjoyable year around down here. And, it allows me to smoke and grill in any kind of weather...which is the most important thing about it. :cool:

IMG_7835_zpssfxjiqr6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey Enrico, why are you asking me questions about beef short ribs, when yours looked spectacular last week?? LOL!! As you know, I'm still a newbie with the WSM, and still learning how to use it...but so far I've used water in the water pan every time. I've done brisket, pork butt, pork shoulder, spare ribs, baby backs, chicken, and now beef short ribs...all with water in the pan. After I read this scientific article on humidity and cooking, and watching an Aaron Franklin video where he explained how it was important to put a water pan in his stick burner, I started using a water pan in my stick burner. http://www.scienceofcooking.com/why_is_humidity_important_in_cooking.htm The article seems to state that the more humidity, the juicier the meat. And, since the WSM is designed to use a water pan, I figure the Weber designers thought it was useful, so I use the water pan. I've had no issues using it, and that may be one reason I have no temp fluctuations to speak of...I don't know. But, until I can find a good reason not to put water in the pan, I'm going to put water in the pan, regardless of what anyone else does. ;) And, I don't foil it or anything like that. I just fill it full of water, and when I get done, I just empty it out in the wooded area behind the house, rinse it out, and it's ready to use next time...no problems.

Also, I did trim some of the fat off those ribs...just a little. Did you trim yours last week? There were a few places where it was a little too thick and hard, so I trimmed that off. But, all the fat that I left on them just rendered into the meat, and I think gives it the buttery feel you look for in beef ribs and brisket. I use my Thermapen on the ribs...not for checking temps, but for testing the feel of the needle end going through the meat. And, when I'm cooking beef ribs, I know how I want it to "feel" before I take them off...kinda like a brisket. I want that tip of the Thermapen to almost fall into the meat, with very little force. If it takes much force when sticking the end of the Thermapan in the meat, it will be too chewy when eating it. And, to me, when it's too chewy it's undercooked. I don't turn them, I don't foil them...I just leave them bone-side down for 6-8 hours, as long as it takes to get that right feel.

I actually think beef short ribs, whether from the chuck area or plate area, is one of the easiest meats to barbecue...and they are most definitely one of the tastiest. It's by-far my favorite. The only drawback is finding them, even in Texas. And, I guess you could say the price is a drawback...but I think they're worth every penny. One other thing I always tell guests, if they've never eaten my beef ribs, brisket, or shoulder clod before, is that I will not provide them any barbecue sauce, until after they try them. Then, if they still want sauce, I will begrudgingly give them barbecue sauce. And, I've never had anyone ask for sauce, after tasting...for me, beef just doesn't need it, just like a good steak doesn't need steak sauce. For my taste, all beef needs is just salt and pepper...but then again, I'm from Texas. :cool:

WOW!!! Mike you did fantastic on the cook looks delicious. That pavilion is to die for, I wish we had the room to do something like that.
Great pics and the plated pic tells the story on that cook.

Wow that pavilion is bigger than my whole place, way to get after those short ribs Mick, two thumbs up.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It is fun to get outside, throw some meat on the smoker, and just relax. I've worked hard smoking meat my whole life...now, I let the WSM and Auber do it for me, while I kick back and take all the credit. :wsm:

Back