If it’s stupid, but it works, it ain’t stupid

Greg in Utah

TVWBB Pro
Out of boredom, and because I had leftovers in case in case of a disaster, I decided to cook a 4 pound chicken on my SJ Hybrid. ( SJ with the bail from an SJ Gold)

90A932FA-4D25-4732-A562-3F25D8970AE6.jpeg

I lined the charcoal grate with 1 layer of unlit Kingsford Comp, and poured 1/3rd of a lit chimney over these. ( vents wide open ) Cooked direct, bone side down until the breast temp was 145. Flipped and started watching until the thermapen said 160 and the bird got pulled.

50 minutes total cooking time.

5BF9A4D3-F1ED-4722-A3CA-E8F9D82A2D6E.jpeg

It was stoooopid good. Chicken cooked directly over the coals has a charred, smokey flavor that makes it more interesting IMHO. Lime juice is a great addition.

I have new respect for my Smokey Joe. In the past, it got the call for burgers or maybe pork chops. Now I’m going to try longer cooks.

Nailed that one, Greg!! Great chicken cook on the SJ! Don’t know until you try....now you know!

R

Bird looks great, nice cook. I'll have to get my smoky Joe (used as the base to my mini WSM) out and give it a try, that is when we can us charcoal again sometime in the fall.

Several years ago, I broke my leg, just below the knee. Two months in hospital. When I came home I was pretty much confined while undergoing therapy. Someone, I believe it was my son, bought me a little Smoky Joe and I'd sit out front, me and that little grill, and cook up some really tasty food, chicken, burgers, dogs etc. When I saw your great looking chicken it stirred up some memories.

Back