I will just leave this here

There are already way to many forums and sub-forums here for me to keep up with.
I simply try to always click on "New Posts" and just read from there.

I guess I was figuring that this section would be a place to show before and after and the documenting the process to get there. Then broken down by grill type. The “subcategories” I suggested we’re only so that someone interested in restoring say a Jr. would be able to go to one place to see what others did and went through for that type of grill.

I am not married to any particular list and can see making them broader than I proposed as long as it is not so broad that you have to wade through a bunch of grills not really like the one you are interested in.

I was NOT thinking of this section as a place to post questions, opinions or observations which is the vast majority of what we currently post in the regular gas grill section. I would expect to continue to do that. But if I completed a restoration documented with before and after pictures, I would put it in the new section. Subcategories would just make it easier to find threads about a particular type of grill as they accumulate, but there may be better ways.

Chris: I guess I am in the boat that thinks adding too many sub forums would make it complicated. It seems like a great idea, until I start thinking it over and reading other peoples concerns. If we do add some sub-forums, I say do it sparingly. The search function is a great way to pull threads of any particular category into one spot.

Fingers crossed this one finds a new home in my backyard on Saturday.

ap8lrix.jpg

Fingers crossed this one finds a new home in my backyard on Saturday.

ap8lrix.jpg

I currently have 4 or 5 red head 700/900/1000 series that need restoration.
Seeing that no one in KC desires the older models right now,
I would certainly entertain breaking down the entire grill and shipping to you, or
anyone else for cheap. Shipping would likely be the deal breaker as it always seems to be
these days, but I will still extend the offer to anyone searching for an older red head.

Dave, I agree I've been looking for a 1000-3000 LP for my daughter for about 9 months and nothing within 200+ miles of here. A few NG models but that's it. Did see a couple of derelict's for $150+ which would require at least another $150 to get up to presentable. For that amount of money it sure wasn't worth it.

Seems even up here the rehab candidate grill market is drying up. I am seeing plenty of the $100-$300 grills though. The market for rehabbed grills also seems to have dried up. The whole market just isn't what I expected for this time of year.

While I do believe the market has its ups and downs, the disappointing results a number of you have been posting about lately is certainly depressing. I am trying to remind myself that even the big box stores probably don't sell a grill every day. It is not a regular purchase item. On the other hand, the advent of so many resale platforms (CL, OfferUp, FB Marketplace, etc.) - while a great way for us to sell and advertise for nothing - has also made it easier and probably driven down prices for those who are looking to buy. We don't have much platform to educate potential buyers, so our well restored classic Weber may just look like an older, costly grill to many buyers when compared to the 2-year old cast-off NexCharMasterForgery fake stainless cast-off being offered for $50.

I think our regular flippers are just in a dry spell, but I admit I am worried that, like Stefan, I might not be able to sell the grills I am hoping to complete at prices high enough to recover my cost, let alone anything for my time & effort. If that happens, I will have a lot of crow to eat:eek:, since to my wife this hobby is just a time and money drain that she would much rather see redirected elsewhere... If I flop with selling off my inventory, then I will content myself with being a collector and occasionally sell one to make room for another unusual one I find. I am personally not interested in just grinding out average Silver B's to make $25 each. For me it is the joy of seeing something beautiful come out of something ugly - even if it is once in a while something as crazy as the Sunbeam "The Judge" that I did last year.

That one has it's issues, but bottom line is the hood is there and that is the critical part. Too bad they don't show a photo of the top.
For free, I hope someone can make use of it before it winds up in the scrap yard.

I think the more time passes the more rust in the frames of the Genesis Silver. The 1,2,3 and 5000 series from what I have seen have serious frame rust issues by now pushing 20 years or more. The Silver and Gold are not far behind. As years pass the Silvers will degrade more and more. Yes there are still bunch out there but they get slowly get more difficult to restore.
Get a 1000 series and guarantee when loading or unloading from the truck one of the frame pieces will break due to rust. Happened to me.
I never had an interest in Weber 3xx.
Thinking that just like the thousands series the Silver series going to be the same in a few years and maybe somehow it does affect restoration and selling.

Or just find a 2005 Platinum SS frame and create your "Lifetime" grill. I have pretty much decided that I will be doing that with my SS platinum when I get around to rehabbing it. I love my 1000 and it is a solid grill, frame and all, but I just keep thinking I need to treat myself to the best. I already rehabbed and sold one SS Platinum and got a good return for it, but, now I am thinking it is my turn. In fact, I have a group coming over Sunday for dinner and I am going to press that grill into service even though it still has duct tape holding one leg in place...hahaha. I cleaned out the grease pan, scraped the sides of the cook box, brushed the burners and fired it up using the original SS stamped grates. It got over 650 in 15 minutes. I was shocked. It was still rising. I turned all three knobs down to medium and let it go for another 20 minutes to burn off all the remaining gunk and it was still at 580. It is a Platinum C with the extra burner as well.

If I make it my grill, the only things I will have to replace will be the igniter and a set of SS rod grates. But, I can swap over my RCPlanebuyer grates from the 1000 there. Then I will remove the back and side cabinet panels, doors and bottom tray and fab in a couple SS cross members in their place. Drop in a wire basket from another grill and I have a grill that will outlast even that brand new Silver C in the box. For under $150 all in.

Last edited:

Back