I will just leave this here

Wolf for $200

From the ad, "This overpriced piece of crap needs a complete rebuild."
The wife probably forced him to put the grill up for sale and he complied but really doesn't want to get rid of it.

Finally got around to installing the new burners and bars on the work redhead. Only did a quick scrape down, as this one will be getting blasted once I get my other two 13 bar boxes back from blasting.

$56 on Amazon, Hongsco is the manufacturer. The stainless isn’t the thickest. But for a once or twice a month grill, should be the ticket!

Attachments

• IMG_6900.jpeg
    IMG_6900.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6901.jpeg
    IMG_6901.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 5
Speaking of Q's... I came across the following 2 photos from a recent review on the official Weber-Stephen website. The reviewer left 1 star, citing safety issues with their particular Q model.

Does anyone know which Q model this might be, and what may have failed? In the second photo, it's rather obvious the user/owner of the grill did not follow basic protocol of where to use a grill, but fortunately they had a spigot & hose nearby. It appears the photos were taken shortly after the incident, as the area is still wet and the scorched walls indicate the situation was serious.

I like the design and concept behind the Q, but I've had nagging concerns about the use of a plastic/composite frame with these grills.

Q-fire-0.jpg

Q-fire-1.jpg

Scott, those grills are fine as long as they are in decent condition and kept relatively clean. It is hard to determine the problem on that grill, but the damage is isolated to the right side. I am guessing it was some kind of leak of gas from the regulator to the burner.

Those are great grills. However, they are very tough to rehab and flip for a reasonable profit. I do 80% of my grilling on Q200.

I thought it would be a nice little grill to keep. Also my 22 year old daughter just asked if I’d teach her to grill because she misses my cooking! So I’d been looking for a little 2 burner spirit for her. But think this could be a great little until for her to learn on. It’s pretty clean inside. The burner tube needs a little attention, kind of uneven flame. But I’d think this should be pretty easy to spend a couple hours on and have a nice little, extremely portable grill.

I thought it would be a nice little grill to keep. Also my 22 year old daughter just asked if I’d teach her to grill because she misses my cooking! So I’d been looking for a little 2 burner spirit for her. But think this could be a great little until for her to learn on. It’s pretty clean inside. The burner tube needs a little attention, kind of uneven flame. But I’d think this should be pretty easy to spend a couple hours on and have a nice little, extremely portable grill.
Semi-portable. It takes two hands to carry one, which is the only complaint that I have about the Qs.

Perfect grill for that purpose. My daughter just moved into a new apartment and I set her up with a Q100. I still have to hook up a propane cylinder or a 20lb tank to it though.

You can seriously clean one of these up in less than a half hour. Remove the burner and hit it with a pressure washer, wire brush it and rinse it out. Then let the grill dry for a while and you should be good to go. Just don't directly spray the valve orifice. you likely won't need to do any real scrubbing at all.

Speaking of Q's... I came across the following 2 photos from a recent review on the official Weber-Stephen website. The reviewer left 1 star, citing safety issues with their particular Q model.

Does anyone know which Q model this might be, and what may have failed? In the second photo, it's rather obvious the user/owner of the grill did not follow basic protocol of where to use a grill, but fortunately they had a spigot & hose nearby. It appears the photos were taken shortly after the incident, as the area is still wet and the scorched walls indicate the situation was serious.

I like the design and concept behind the Q, but I've had nagging concerns about the use of a plastic/composite frame with these grills.

View attachment 94511

View attachment 94512
I think I can tell you what happened. The owner left the grill unattended.

I wasn't being critical. It's a risk and you know it when you take it. If you're comfortable in taking the risk and you run to the store with the grill running on a wooden deck up against a wooden wall with a wooden patio cover and you come home and the patio is up in flames...well, you screwed up.

These Qs were designed to run from a 14oz or 1lb canister of propane and will run out of propane after an hour or so. If someone hooks up a 5 gallon tank to it, well, now it can run for a lot longer and if you forget about it during a burn-off, it can get hot enough for the screws to melt the plastic legs that support the grill.

I suspect most of us leave a grill unattended for brief periods of time. I was thinking more in terms of the grill being within 10 feet of a vertical wall or building, and in a semi-enclosed area (surrounded by wood). It's also possible they didn't check for leaks beforehand or misused a tank adapter. If it was their first time using the grill, then that was definitely the wrong spot for a test flight..."initiation by fire."

There are pieces of a regulator laying on top of the grill, and I've read several recent reviews complaining about faulty Chinese regulators with some newer Q and Spirit series grills. A few of those involved gas leaking at the end of the control valve and igniting, similar to these photos.

I see plenty of used Q models for sale on CL and FBM, and have been thinking about getting one, particularly the 2800 or 3200 (dual burners). I've also considered the Napoleon TravelQ Pro and Broil King Porta-Chef.

Back