I will just leave this here

The snag for me is cost of parts to refurb them, and when those are factored in, I'm not sure I could turn a profit, even on the ones I have collected for free. The buyers market doesn't seem that strong out here.

The snag for me is cost of parts to refurb them, and when those are factored in, I'm not sure I could turn a profit, even on the ones I have collected for free. The buyers market doesn't seem that strong out here.
With the amount of nice grills you come across for free, or next to free I would probably agree your market may not be suited to you turning much of a profit. Where I do think you could make money is collecting all those grills and selling the parts on eBay. You would probably need someplace besides your garage and backyard to keep them all though 😉

With the amount of nice grills you come across for free, or next to free I would probably agree your market may not be suited to you turning much of a profit. Where I do think you could make money is collecting all those grills and selling the parts on eBay. You would probably need someplace besides your garage and backyard to keep them all though 😉
If shipping was reasonable.

A control panel was $23 to ship to the east coast and an x000 manifold was $22.

It seems to me that older grills in pristine condition are like restored classic cars. Most of the people I interact with just want a good, clean, name brand grill at the lowest price. The only way I can get over $250 is for a newer Genesis or Genesis II.

Yep, I am afraid my dream of restoring golden oldies like that and at least making some return on the megaton of hours is probably a pipedream. No question, it seems at least, that to actually turn a profit in flipping grills you need to stick with easy to fix up bread and butter basics that you can sell very reasonably.

$329 is a VERY FAIR price for that gorgeous grill. What piece of junk could you buy new at one of the big box stores for that pirce? The only thing I can think of is that maybe if you had a place where people could touch and see one, maybe it would make a difference. Here in this part of Indiana we have "Covered Bridge Festival" in the fall where the roads are lined with people hawking all kinds of stuff. If I can get a few grills done this summer and can't sell them with online ads, maybe lining them up at that would bring the right kind of buyers.

Yep, I am afraid my dream of restoring golden oldies like that and at least making some return on the megaton of hours is probably a pipedream. No question, it seems at least, that to actually turn a profit in flipping grills you need to stick with easy to fix up bread and butter basics that you can sell very reasonably.

$329 is a VERY FAIR price for that gorgeous grill. What piece of junk could you buy new at one of the big box stores for that pirce? The only thing I can think of is that maybe if you had a place where people could touch and see one, maybe it would make a difference. Here in this part of Indiana we have "Covered Bridge Festival" in the fall where the roads are lined with people hawking all kinds of stuff. If I can get a few grills done this summer and can't sell them with online ads, maybe lining them up at that would bring the right kind of buyers.
I agree 100% $329 is an excellent price. Unfortunately it will take the right buyer. It took 6 months for me to sell that Genesis 5 and that was my most time consuming Weber restore by a huge margin. The Genesis II's that I get deals on and clean up are by far the easiest, sell the fastest and most profitable. Unfortunately I have only been able to snag a few. But rescuing old Silvers from the dump and giving them a new life are more rewarding.

unless I can find cheaper parts, selling an x000 for less than $150 will end up a loss, and unless its beautiful and perfect I don't see getting more than $250.

here's an example of parts and prices, and this list doesn't account for wood, or refinishing the wood.

$3513 bar flavorizer
$40grates
$40burners + crossover
$9igniter
$12paint
$8casters
$144total

I suppose if I had a stash of parts from clearance sales it would be different.

The lack of wood makes a Silver B more viable I think yet the parts prices are pretty close to the list above.

Last edited:
I count my blessings to have such a strong market around me every time I see discussions of price on here. I sold this grill just a couple of weeks ago for $200 within 10 minutes of posting it. It's nothing special at all. I paid $40 for the grill and my parts were nothing more than a few consumable cleaning supplies, a new igniter and a set of stainless GBS grates that I grabbed on clearance for $15 from HD a couple of months back. Had it been peak season, I could've easily asked for and received another $50 from the sale. I get $400+ on a very regular basis for 1000 series pieces and I have the Platinum C that I'm working on now already pre-sold for $600. I don't know how some of you folks can do it and not get discouraged by such low numbers.

Attachments

• w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I count my blessings to have such a strong market around me every time I see discussions of price on here. I sold this grill just a couple of weeks ago for $200 within 10 minutes of posting it. It's nothing special at all. I paid $40 for the grill and my parts were nothing more than a few consumable cleaning supplies, a new igniter and a set of stainless GBS grates that I grabbed on clearance for $15 from HD a couple of months back. Had it been peak season, I could've easily asked for and received another $50 from the sale. I get $400+ on a very regular basis for 1000 series pieces and I have the Platinum C that I'm working on now already pre-sold for $600. I don't know how some of you folks can do it and not get discouraged by such low numbers.
Where do you live, Tom?

I still don't understand how you "pre-sell" a grill. Please explain. I got $650 for a rare Genesis 5 after about 6 months and that was to a fellow forum member that drove from NC to VA to get it.

I pre-sell grills a few grills. My typical pre-sale is a working Weber gas grill for $60.00 to $120.00 Usually for a camp or a secondary grill where the primary is charcoal.

We agree on a budget, grill type, acceptable condition and time frame.

I still don't understand how you "pre-sell" a grill. Please explain. I got $650 for a rare Genesis 5 after about 6 months and that was to a fellow forum member that drove from NC to VA to get it.
Pre-sales account for nearly 1/3 of my work. I keep a pretty active social media presence dedicated entirely to my grill hobby. With a few hundred followers or so, it’s not unusual for someone to message me wanting to put their name at the front of the list when they see something they like in progress. If we can’t come to terms on that particular grill, I offer to let them select a different grill from my queue and then build it to their tastes and budget. The power of social media is real...and terrifying at the same time. I can review metrics and interactions on each post to see what my audience likes and tailor my message in such a way to continue to grow my audience and potential customer base at the same time.

Back