I will just leave this here

I pre-sell grills a few grills. My typical pre-sale is a working Weber gas grill for $60.00 to $120.00 Usually for a camp or a secondary grill where the primary is charcoal.

We agree on a budget, grill type, acceptable condition and time frame.
I think you need to "dumb" it down step by step. How do you find a person to buy a grill that does not yet exist? Or do you post pics of a done grill and promise to give them one like it? Do you have a bunch of in-stock ready to restore? Sorry for being thick on this. I do understand short selling stock;-)

Pre-sales account for nearly 1/3 of my work. I keep a pretty active social media presence dedicated entirely to my grill hobby. With a few hundred followers or so, it’s not unusual for someone to message me wanting to put their name at the front of the list when they see something they like in progress. If we can’t come to terms on that particular grill, I offer to let them select a different grill from my queue and then build it to their tastes and budget. The power of social media is real...and terrifying at the same time. I can review metrics and interactions on each post to see what my audience likes and tailor my message to continue to grow my audience and potential customer base at the same time.
Can you share the link where you have this active social media presence?

Can you share the link where you have this active social media presence?
Absolutely. Everything I do is on Facebook. I started by creating a Facebook page from my main identity. On it, I publish “as-is” photos of each grill as I acquire it along with a little back story blurb to go with it. I also regularly post pics and updated stories as a project is in progress. And I always post the finished product on my page for my followers to see and have first crack at before hitting the facebook Marketplace and local Facebook garage sale sites. This generates an “insider” feel for these followers even if it is only an hour or two of a head start. They like and comment and my exposure grows. It is really all about providing a steady stream of content when it comes to social media. You have to post regularly and you have to interact with those who comment and show interest if you want to grow your reach and audience. I recently documented the process of curing and smoking my own bacon in a series of posts. I was just trying to generate some early season activity through my page and it turned into a surprisingly high interaction piece and buzz generator of likes and comments. I picked up several new followers out of it that I wasn’t expecting in any way. Another thing I do is to always add a bio and directive to each ad I post. It reads verbatim...”I repair, refurbish and restore Weber grills as a hobby. See The Weber Guy here on Facebook to learn more about me and to see additional examples of my work. While you’re there, maybe even give me a follow if you like what you see.” I actively pick up a few new followers with each grill I post and sell by doing this. And it costs me nothing. I’ve never paid for an ad or listing. I’ve never tried to sell on Craigslist. I am 100% tied to Facebook for everything I do and it has paid off remarkably.

https://www.facebook.com/WeberGuyNY

Last edited:
Absolutely. Everything I do is on Facebook. I started by creating a Facebook page from my main identity. On it, I publish “as-is” photos of each grill as I acquire it along with a little back story blurb to go with it. I also regularly post pics and updated stories as a project is in progress. And I always post the finished product on my page for my followers to see and have first crack at before hitting the facebook Marketplace and local garage sale sites. This generates an “insider” feel for these followers even if it is only an hour or two of a head start. They like and comment and my exposure grows. It is really all about content when it comes to social media. You have to post regularly and you have to interact with those who comment and show interest if you want to grow your reach and audience. I recently documented the process of curing and smoking my own bacon in a series of posts. I was just trying to generate some early season activity through my page and it turned into a surprisingly high interaction piece and buzz generator of likes and comments. I picked up several new followers out of it that I wasn’t expecting in any way. Another thing I do is to always add a bio and directive to each ad I post. It reads verbatim...”I repair, refurbish and restore Weber grills as a hobby. See The Weber Guy here on Facebook to learn more about me and to see additional examples of my work. While you’re there, maybe even give me a follow if you like what you see.” I actively pick up a few new followers with each grill I post and sell by doing this. And it costs me nothing. I’ve never paid for an ad or listing. I’ve never tried to sell on Craigslist. I am 100% tied to Facebook for everything I do and it has paid off remarkably.
I just followed you. Really nice work on the page and grills. Now I finally understand. Maybe I'll consider something like that some time down the road after I move so it is local.

I just followed you. Really nice work on the page and grills. Now I finally understand. Maybe I'll consider something like that some time down the road after I move so it is local.
I hope you give it a try. I’ve found that I enjoy the hobby even more by having an audience to share it with. Going in, I never could’ve imagined how much of a positive effect a social media presence would have on the financial side of things, but I am thankful for how well it has worked out for me thus far.

I think you need to "dumb" it down step by step. How do you find a person to buy a grill that does not yet exist? Or do you post pics of a done grill and promise to give them one like it? Do you have a bunch of in-stock ready to restore? Sorry for being thick on this. I do understand short selling stock;-)
I get referrals or repeat customers from grills or parts I sold. I also try to develop a dialogue with respondents of ads that don’t get the advertised grill. Just ask them if they ever had a Weber. If the answer is yes usually I can help them out.

I have had some luck pre-selling mixers like this. Some know last year I bought a Kubota diesel tractor from a guy in WI near MKE. Well, his wife asked me what "I do". Explained my business and gave her a card. Well she belongs to a FB baking group who all have KitchenAid machines. So far now I have had quite a bit of business from members of her group LOL. Just finished one this week and will be delivering it tomorrow up to Delavan. So who knew buying a tractor would lead to increased mixer business LOL

I get referrals or repeat customers from grills or parts I sold. I also try to develop a dialogue with respondents of ads that don’t get the advertised grill. Just ask them if they ever had a Weber. If the answer is yes usually I can help them out.
@BPratt touches on the edge of an important aspect of social marketing here with referrals. You're not just reaching the initial person that interacts with you when someone likes and comments on your post or page. Their list of friends that they regularly engage with will see that interaction and then have the opportunity to learn more about or engage with you as well. This continues to expand your reach much like branches on a family tree to possibly grab you new followers and/or potential customers as you go.

Last edited:
It’s a Webber, they last forever!

Actually, it is much better looking than most Summits I have seen, but who knows what lurks in the firebox. I just thought the advertising premise was funny. Wishful thinking!

It looks pretty good. If it is rehabbed, it would be a good deal, but I can't tell if it was just cleaned up or had a full rehab done on it.

Can you post a link to the listing?

Sorry, I missed that. That does look like a well done restore. He should be able to get his price for that. I would have liked to see SS grates though.

OK, I should have specified Solid rod stainless grates. And the ones in there look to be compromised. If you look at the second from the left slat, it appears to suffer from a broken weld like a lot of those grates do.

I beleive you are correct, but a grill like that deserved better IMO.
Here ya go, Bruce. I’m almost done with this Platinum C. I’m not sure if it deserved all these shiny new bits, but it’s got all brand new parts including the cook box and complete lid along with the suggested grates.

Attachments

• 18F9C131-9F8F-405F-8E7B-F173301A147A.jpeg
    18F9C131-9F8F-405F-8E7B-F173301A147A.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 18
  • 689E5C35-2DC6-4101-BB63-B5A7A8177BDA.jpeg
    689E5C35-2DC6-4101-BB63-B5A7A8177BDA.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 7C5A51A1-A892-4C99-97A1-16711B59DBFE.jpeg
    7C5A51A1-A892-4C99-97A1-16711B59DBFE.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 6CE91427-8E00-4CA7-A18D-D405E80DDC96.jpeg
    6CE91427-8E00-4CA7-A18D-D405E80DDC96.jpeg