I will just leave this here

Man, get two of us together and we're dangerous. Nothing's more fun than a road trip with a buddy. If we're chasing down a grill or two, so much the better!

I thought all Summit Platinums had a smoker box and rotisserie burner? Why doesn’t the Weber emblem have Summit Platinum on it?
I don't remember enough about that line but I think Platinum referred more to the esthetics than the contents. Could be wrong as only Summit I ever bought was my 450 1st generation.

I thought all Summit Platinums had a smoker box and rotisserie burner? Why doesn’t the Weber emblem have Summit Platinum on it?
For second and third generations, There are 400 series and 600 series or silver, gold or platinum. 4 or 6 main burners. All have side burners. Some have a rotisserie burner.

I don’t know why there was so much variation in the mid 00’s timeframe. Probably marketing.

Good eye on that. I am surprised they sold the Platinum version without the smoker box and rear infrared. I might guess that the owner managed to get a replacement hood at some point. A generic badge would make sense at that point even though it looks to have been put on crooked🤪!

Good eye on that. I am surprised they sold the Platinum version without the smoker box and rear infrared. I might guess that the owner managed to get a replacement hood at some point. A generic badge would make sense at that point even though it looks to have been put on crooked🤪!
The badge makes sense, I received a new replacement hood last month with a new style badge for my platinum 6 burner. Looking further, my Summit Platinum is a D6, and I see they also have an A6, probably without the additional accessories.

For second and third generations, There are 400 series and 600 series or silver, gold or platinum. 4 or 6 main burners. All have side burners. Some have a rotisserie burner.

I don’t know why there was so much variation in the mid 00’s timeframe. Probably marketing.
I think this is how it works for second generation Summits

A = no side burner
B = with side burner
C = with side burner and smoker burner
D = with side burner, smoker burner, and roti burner

A Summit A4 is a 4 burner model with no side burner.

A Summit D6 is a 6 burner with side burner, smoker burner and roti burner.

Summit Silvers came first, with the pressed SS grates. Golds next, slightly up market with the SS rod grates (not in all models/markets),
then the Platinums, which had the full SS rod grates, frame, sides and floor.

A = no side burner
B = with side burner

Summit Silvers came first, with the pressed SS grates. Golds next, slightly up market with the SS rod grates (not in all models/markets),
Thanks for the info. I had a few over the years and noticed the variation.

A = no side burner
B = with side burner

Wow, so that old piece of junk I have is a D4 Platinum I guess. Who knew? I still have no desire to do anything more than pilfer the grates and maybe the frame. That SS monolith style is so overplayed and overdone. Does nothing for me. Perhaps when it first came out but not now. Which isn't really fair to the Summit, in a way, given that the thing is the real deal (in that it weighs about six million pounds). Perhaps if I were further along with this hobby I'd be tempted to fabricate a fix for the fire box, but I'm not and I won't.

If my friend wants it, great. If not, I've promised Samuel the side tables.

Wow, so that old piece of junk I have is a D4 Platinum I guess. Who knew? I still have no desire to do anything more than pilfer the grates and maybe the frame. That SS monolith style is so overplayed and overdone. Does nothing for me. Perhaps when it first came out but not now. Which isn't really fair to the Summit, in a way, given that the thing is the real deal (in that it weighs about six million pounds). Perhaps if I were further along with this hobby I'd be tempted to fabricate a fix for the fire box, but I'm not and I won't.

If my friend wants it, great. If not, I've promised Samuel the side tables.
Is the firebox on your summit rotted out? I mean, did you take a close up look to confirm that it is? I'm just wondering because I don't think we can automatically assume that yours is toast. There have to be some survivors out there.

Is the firebox on your summit rotted out? I mean, did you take a close up look to confirm that it is? I'm just wondering because I don't think we can automatically assume that yours is toast. There have to be some survivors out there.
How can I tell. I looked down there and it looked rough to my untrained eye. But I don't know what I'm looking at.

I just don't feel motivated to restore a grill that won't last. Will it cook better than a Genesis? I'm guessing the answer is no. I don't care about the rotisserie burner. Don't care about the smoker box either.

I just don't feel motivated to restore a grill that won't last.
Definitely has its weak firebox issues, but most of the rest is 304 stainless and will outlast most any grill - even a classic Genesis.
Will it cook better than a Genesis? I'm guessing the answer is no.
I can’t say there would be a huge improvement, but four burners in the same square inch space as the Genesis has only three should yield more power and more even grilling.
I don't care about the rotisserie burner. Don't care about the smoker box either.
Wow. Well I admit that I think both have their place. The rear infrared makes up for the disadvantages perceived by those who are regular rotisserie users. It can also help with cooking pizza on your grill. At least that’s what I have heard.

The smoker box may not do a lot, but it helps. Having its own burner underneath is a welcome control to properly using the smoker.

I guess you know how I feel about that Platinum Summit! I wouldn’t feel the same about a Silver or Gold and definitely not about any current third generation Summits.

Definitely has its weak firebox issues, but most of the rest is 304 stainless and will outlast most any grill - even a classic Genesis.

I can’t say there would be a huge improvement, but four burners in the same square inch space as the Genesis has only three should yield more power and more even grilling.

Wow. Well I admit that I think both have their place. The rear infrared makes up for the disadvantages perceived by those who are regular rotisserie users. It can also help with cooking pizza on your grill. At least that’s what I have heard.

The smoker box may not do a lot, but it helps. Having its own burner underneath is a welcome control to properly using the smoker.

I guess you know how I feel about that Platinum Summit! I wouldn’t feel the same about a Silver or Gold and definitely not about any current third generation Summits.
I definitely respect that, Jon. Different strokes and all. Right now, it's just not pulling at me the way the old Genesis grills do. The Platinum is pretty much indestructible now that it's an open cart. The box on the 2000 with the 13 bars is really special.

Back