I will just leave this here

Wow, I have seen some insane adds for used grills, but that is right up there. First of all, that grill was probably $700 - $800 new, not $3000. Second, the guy pulled the bottom and doors off of it, likely because the bottom pan was rusted out. He didn't even bother to fab in a bottom. I would say that if everything on it works well, it is worth about 1/4 of his asking price at best.

Wow, I have seen some insane adds for used grills, but that is right up there. First of all, that grill was probably $700 - $800 new, not $3000. Second, the guy pulled the bottom and doors off of it, likely because the bottom pan was rusted out. He didn't even bother to fab in a bottom. I would say that if everything on it works well, it is worth about 1/4 of his asking price at best.
1/4 of 700 is generous.

Here's one for free not too far off. Might get it if I can do son conveniently before someone else grabs it. About 40 miles round trip. Worth it if there are some good parts though I must say this thing is weird. A Silver B with a cabinet?

Here's one for free not too far off. Might get it if I can do son conveniently before someone else grabs it. About 40 miles round trip. Worth it if there are some good parts though I must say this thing is weird. A Silver B with a cabinet?

What's your plan for it?

What's your plan for it?
Honestly, if the drip tray looks good, it gets swapped with that on the Platinum. I might swap a few other parts. And then it gets given away, as the lesser drip tray is in acceptable (though not ideal) condition. I don't see myself taking the time to restore it.

You know you can still buy a brand new drip tray for a silver a/b/c? They are like 40 dollars. You only have to scrounge for Genesis drip trays. They don't make them anymore. It's Weber's part #99250 for the one you need.

You know you can still buy a brand new drip tray for a silver a/b/c? They are like 40 dollars. You only have to scrounge for Genesis drip trays. They don't make them anymore. It's Weber's part #99250 for the one you need.
Yeah, I've seen them. Around $50 with tax and shipping. Figured I could find one for free and rescue it. Of course it's not worth my time but it's fun, as long as the grill isn't too far off.

Hear ya, it's a bonus if it's something you want anyway.
I appreciate the question, as it makes me think. I mean, it's a 40 miles round trip drive. My truck will burn around 4 gallons of fuel. So there's $18 right there. Less than $50, sure, but what's my time worth? My hourly rate is $300. So if I'm doing this, it had better be fun.

If this grill were interesting or noteworthy, or really close by, that's one thing. But to go even 40 miles round trip for a few spare parts doesn't really make sense.

I appreciate the question, as it makes me think. I mean, it's a 40 miles round trip drive. My truck will burn around 4 gallons of fuel. So there's $18 right there. Less than $50, sure, but what's my time worth? My hourly rate is $300. So if I'm doing this, it had better be fun.

If this grill were interesting or noteworthy, or really close by, that's one thing. But to go even 40 miles round trip for a few spare parts doesn't really make sense.
Well, that's kind of how I look at it. At this point I have a pretty well defined set of parameters as to what I'm looking for. That could change of course, and it probably will for you too as time passes. After you finish your current projects you will have a better idea what direction you want to go in next. My main thing has been not to needlessly collect grills that I'm ultimately going to have to dispose of. I'm never going to be a flipper because there just isn't enough of a market for that around here so it isn't worth my time. I do have a couple of grill projects in mind that hopefully I will be able to start on in the spring.

Well, that's kind of how I look at it. At this point I have a pretty well defined set of parameters as to what I'm looking for. That could change of course, and it probably will for you too as time passes. After you finish your current projects you will have a better idea what direction you want to go in next. My main thing has been not to needlessly collect grills that I'm ultimately going to have to dispose of. I'm never going to be a flipper because there just isn't enough of a market for that around here so it isn't worth my time. I do have a couple of grill projects in mind that hopefully I will be able to start on in the spring.
Makes sense, Steve. Life's not all about money. I could see myself doing projects just for the fun of it in my spare time. Maybe learn woodworking and build furniture. I'd love to rebuild these Webers and give them as gifts if I thought my friends would appreciate them. Unfortunately, people seem to want new, shiny stainless above all. If it's thin as a few sheets of paper, they don't particularly notice. Perhaps that will change. Perhaps we're at the vanguard and these beautiful old grills will be valued again. That's happened to a large degree with old razors. I collect them. There was a time when they were so worthless they just got thrown out. Now some of those very same razors sell for significant money. These days there are artisans, guys like Dave Santana who are well known in the razor world, who make beautiful new razors that are precise like machine tools or surgical instruments and beautiful like jewelry.

Here are some examples of razors made to exacting standards from 316 stainless by a guy named James Dufour:
Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 12.35.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-07 at 12.34.43 AM.png

A guy named Brian Twilley makes them from brass, copper and stainless. I have this one, made of copper over brass. Paid $300 for it a number of years ago. God only knows what it sells for now. Needs to be polished unless one appreciates a patina, as do I. Either way, it shaves great.

IMG_20220207_004240.jpgIMG_20220207_004255.jpgIMG_20220207_004415.jpgIMG_20220207_004430.jpg

And then here's my most special razor. Found it accidentally in an antique store in Seattle one night while there for a professional conference. Wandered in just before closing. Saw this thing and bargained the owner down from $25 to $20, tax inclusive. So he charged me $18 and change plus tax so it would come to $20 total. For me it was just a fluke. Something I would try and then likely throw in a drawer where most of my 75 or so razors live. Then I shaved with it and was amazed. So I did some research and discovered it was a Mark Cross razor, manufactured just one year, 1912. At the time it was 106 years old. Now it's 110. This thing is triple plated in silver over brass. It sold for 25 cents back then. It was a loss leader for the Mark Cross Company (which is still around -- ask your wife) hoped to make up selling blades -- a formula that made King Gillette and Colonel Jacob Schick, a returning WWI veteran, incredibly wealthy. Didn't work for Mark Cross but they built a fortune selling high end leather goods. Expensive stuff for women.

The guy who designed this razor was Gerald Murphy. He bought the company from Mark Cross but kept the name. Gerald and his wife, Sarah, were major figures of the lost generation of literary fame. They were like parents to F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, Earnest and Mary Hemingway and many others. They essentially discovered the French Riviera for the expat crowd and transformed it from a series of tiny fishing villages to the playground of the rich it is now, though they didn't much like the way it developed. When they were there, it was quiet and tranquil. They cleared the first beach of seaweed for swimming and sunbathing.

Everyone eventually discovers his own special razor, typically refereed to as one's "grail". This is mine. I own a bunch of razors. This is the one I use most every day. Really, I only use three. This one four days a week. I don't shave over the weekend. On Monday, I use the Charcoal Goods razor to whack down three days beard growth. And if I should happen to go four or five days, I trot out another razor, my Ikon Tech -- which is made not by an artisan but by this crazy lunatic who designed it and had it built in China. He's a paranoid nut and no longer makes razors but the Tech is a modern timeless classic just the same.

Here's the Mark Cross: IMG_20220207_004706.jpgIMG_20220207_004737.jpgIMG_20220207_004752.jpgIMG_20220207_004808.jpgIMG_20220207_004840.jpg

Last edited:
Extremely cool. I can appreciate any sort of hobby or collection. I feel the same way about old Weber gas grills.
Guys talk about rabbit holes. Every hobby offers a vast array. In the realm of shaving, there are thousands of razors plus all sorts of brushes, scuttles (for warming soap), soaps and creams, pre-shaves, after-shaves, blades and on and on and on. Plus infinite combinations. As an example, I have beaver tail brushes worth hundreds and horse-hair brushes for which I paid $3 each ($30 for ten) to an outfit in Turkey. The funny thing is I like the cheap horse hair brushes more than the fancy beaver tails.

Grilling seems similar in that there are so many types of machines and then so many choices with each, plus grates and other parts and recipes galore. One could spend a lifetime immersed in these oceans without every experiencing but a fraction of what's available. One can spend a fortune or next to nothing. One can make it a hobby, a passion, even a career (in serving like minded enthusiasts).

And then there are so many hobbies like this. My wife and I have friends who live on a boat and are this way about sailing. They do it on a shoestring while others spend hundreds of thousands or more. There must be an unreal nuber of completely immersive hobbies one can experience. Some athletic, artistic, artisanal, recreational, spiritual, educational (as well as composites of these and more categories). One couldn't even name them all, let alone experience but a tiny fraction.

Last edited:

Those were pretty common the last couple of years of the Genesis Silver run. The bottoms and often back and sides were full of rust after 10 years or so.

This one needs a bottle of rum and some shrimp and you will be all set for summer.

1644264428492.png

Back