I will just leave this here

Not a bad looking piece, but they forgot to add in anything about the folding legs feature because that’s exactly what’s going to happen without the bottom tray....

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1365869173862821/
True. Really easy fix for someone who knows how to do it. Was in the hardware store today looking at $5, 16 inch lengths of cold rolled steel. Two of those plus four bolts (and a lot of drilling) and you've got yourself a solid grill. For $12 each, make it angle irons and inlay a shelf. Mine was more for my Platinum because I needed stainless, but still very reasonable.

True. Really easy fix for someone who knows how to do it. Was in the hardware store today looking at $5, 16 inch lengths of cold rolled steel. Two of those plus four bolts (and a lot of drilling) and you've got yourself a solid grill. For $12 each, make it angle irons and inlay a shelf. Mine was more for my Platinum because I needed stainless, but still very reasonable.
Yes Roy,
You learned well.

I wish I had seen this listing earlier. This would be great for cleaning grill parts.

The guy with the Summit contacted me today. After trying to sell for $200, then $100, then $75, he asked me to just take it. So I called a friend who enjoys road trip adventures and he was game. Then, since I was already heading south most of the way, I contacted that guy with the sweet 2000 just begging to be restored. He was home and happy to give me his grill. Lastly, I contacted this guy whose been trying to sell a set of headphones I've been wanting. Normally, it wouldn't be worth the drive but he was one town over and on the way to grill number two.

So I returned tonight, triumphant, with a lovely set of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro cans -- and these two grills. IMG_20220209_001005.jpgIMG_20220209_001310.jpg

Here's my pal, Steve, standing among my four grills

IMG_20220209_000857.jpg

And this is me in my most grubby, wonderful work clothes.

IMG_20220209_000918.jpg

My wife expected me to return with one grill. On the way home, I took my buddy Steve out for dinner and called my wife to let her know I'd gone insane and picked up two grills and a set of cans. Bless her, she was totally nonplussed. When I asked if she had any thoughts, her response was "I've known you for ten years. This is how you roll." Then she recounted my road trip exploits to get razors, TVs, tools, gear, etc., etc., cracking me and my friend up.

Saint Kira will wake up in the morning to four grills parked on her back deck. We'll see at what point I manage to test her patience.

Meanwhile, I took some photos of the inside of the new grills that I'll post tomorrow. The 2000's flavorizer bars that had pretty much disintergrated. The box is filled with debris but otherwise appears to be in great shape. The grates are toast. But the burn tubes and major components appear to be fine. I plan to switch the burgundy lid over from the 1000, restore the wood slats (and use the wood handle from the red lid). Yes, I know I've said wood slats are impractical. Oh well; can't resist.

Bruce has gone far above and beyond to send me his blue lid. It will use the end caps from the red lid and the handle from the burgundy lid and get it installed on the Platinum. With the blue and black lower deck, the blue lid should be sensational.

The Summit appears to be in reasonably good shape. There's what looks like either surface rust or dirt on the floor of the cabinet. Will post photos soon. The box looks, well, I'm not sure. This grill type is totally new to me. I'll probably try cooking on it but my plan now is to combine the box from the 1000-LX with the frame from the Summit and gift it to the friend in the photo above. He's a cabinet maker who can do all sorts of stuff, not just with wood but with metal, roofing, painting, welding, etc. A jack of all trades. I'm thinking we'll work together to get his grill set up. He can have any of the three remaining lids, though I suspect the Summit lid won't fit on a 1000 box. So he can choose from two lids -- the platinum off the Platinum or the red one from the 2000. Since he'll be leading the charge, the conversion should be a piece of cake.

One thing he's not getting, though, are the grates from the Summit. I'll gift him some brand new Weber steel grates (that I purchased by mistake a couple of weeks back for $30, shipping included). Those 9mm Summit grates are to die for and they fit perfectly in the other grills, so no need for an angle grinder and cutoff wheel. Not sure what I'll do with the smoker box. The guy with the 2000 had one too so I'll give one to my friend and keep the other, though I'm not sure I'll ever use it. Picked up a bunch of accessories with the grills. Was quite the score. My friend and I were having a lot of fun. We decided that grill and headphone hunting is the guy version of shopping for shoes at the mall.

Last edited:
Makes sense, Steve. Life's not all about money. I could see myself doing projects just for the fun of it in my spare time. Maybe learn woodworking and build furniture. I'd love to rebuild these Webers and give them as gifts if I thought my friends would appreciate them. Unfortunately, people seem to want new, shiny stainless above all. If it's thin as a few sheets of paper, they don't particularly notice. Perhaps that will change. Perhaps we're at the vanguard and these beautiful old grills will be valued again. That's happened to a large degree with old razors. I collect them. There was a time when they were so worthless they just got thrown out. Now some of those very same razors sell for significant money. These days there are artisans, guys like Dave Santana who are well known in the razor world, who make beautiful new razors that are precise like machine tools or surgical instruments and beautiful like jewelry.

Here are some examples of razors made to exacting standards from 316 stainless by a guy named James Dufour:
View attachment 45006View attachment 45005

A guy named Brian Twilley makes them from brass, copper and stainless. I have this one, made of copper over brass. Paid $300 for it a number of years ago. God only knows what it sells for now. Needs to be polished unless one appreciates a patina, as do I. Either way, it shaves great.

View attachment 45008View attachment 45007View attachment 45010View attachment 45009

And then here's my most special razor. Found it accidentally in an antique store in Seattle one night while there for a professional conference. Wandered in just before closing. Saw this thing and bargained the owner down from $25 to $20, tax inclusive. So he charged me $18 and change plus tax so it would come to $20 total. For me it was just a fluke. Something I would try and then likely throw in a drawer where most of my 75 or so razors live. Then I shaved with it and was amazed. So I did some research and discovered it was a Mark Cross razor, manufactured just one year, 1912. At the time it was 106 years old. Now it's 110. This thing is triple plated in silver over brass. It sold for 25 cents back then. It was a loss leader for the Mark Cross Company (which is still around -- ask your wife) hoped to make up selling blades -- a formula that made King Gillette and Colonel Jacob Schick, a returning WWI veteran, incredibly wealthy. Didn't work for Mark Cross but they built a fortune selling high end leather goods. Expensive stuff for women.

The guy who designed this razor was Gerald Murphy. He bought the company from Mark Cross but kept the name. Gerald and his wife, Sarah, were major figures of the lost generation of literary fame. They were like parents to F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, Earnest and Mary Hemingway and many others. They essentially discovered the French Riviera for the expat crowd and transformed it from a series of tiny fishing villages to the playground of the rich it is now, though they didn't much like the way it developed. When they were there, it was quiet and tranquil. They cleared the first beach of seaweed for swimming and sunbathing.

Everyone eventually discovers his own special razor, typically refereed to as one's "grail". This is mine. I own a bunch of razors. This is the one I use most every day. Really, I only use three. This one four days a week. I don't shave over the weekend. On Monday, I use the Charcoal Goods razor to whack down three days beard growth. And if I should happen to go four or five days, I trot out another razor, my Ikon Tech -- which is made not by an artisan but by this crazy lunatic who designed it and had it built in China. He's a paranoid nut and no longer makes razors but the Tech is a modern timeless classic just the same.

Here's the Mark Cross: View attachment 45014View attachment 45015View attachment 45011View attachment 45013View attachment 45012

Roy,
With our Love of Weber's, Plasma TV's, and taking long road trips to pick up grills are you sure we are not long lost Brothers?
Now Vintage and Double edge razors?! We might have to take a 23andme Ancestry test, I mean all the signs are there ;)

Here is my modest Shave Nook.

nRnWveu.jpg

My daily drivers and soap collection. I prefer the more aggressive razors. On the bottom far left is my everyday shaver, a 1930's Barbasol Floating Head. I love this razor, grippy, efficient, and a absolute joy to shave with. Next to that is a Fatip Open comb, then a original Muhle R41, probably the most aggressive DE razor I own, gotta be careful with that one or it'll bite. Then my CoonCat Bob inspired copies are the next two. These are Cadet Open Combs with Sabi handles. Both weighty, and aggressive, but easy to shave with. Finally, above that is my Merkur 37C Slant, love the shorty handle on that one.

I like to try new soaps from time to time and I have some from all over the World but I prefer the Mitchell Wool Fat Soap. Nothing leave my face more protected and feeling oh-so-smooth afterwards than the Fat. Followed by a splash of Pinaud Clubman and I am in shaving nirvana.

Onto the brushes, while I have several more than what is pictured here in Boar, Badger, Horsehair, and Synthetic I prefer these three.
On the right Simpson Eagle 3 Best Badger, middle is a Vulfix 404B Grosvenor Super Badger, and last my favorite brush to whip up some great lather with my hard soaps, a Semogue Owners Club 2012 SE. This a a Boar/Badger hybrid brush than has a great backbone.

Behind them is my razor blades from around the World and a keen eye will spot the Personna 74's which last-and-last-and-last for almost a full month of shaves. My favorite blades are the original Super Iridium blades, sharp and smooth at the same time, Luckily I am well stocked and have over 2000 blades to last me and my two Son's for a lifetime of shaves.

Jeff

to be continued...

Jeff

Last edited:
My Vintage Sterilizer cabinet houses some of my lesser used Razors.

KkXhMDz.jpg

NK7N3lm.jpg

On the top middle is a Schick Injector model O, the last Injector Schick made. If you have a light growth or sensitive skin this might be your razor.

There a a couple Edwin Jagger 89 models tucked in there as well as several Gillette "Butterfly" razors which include an absolute mint E4 Fatboy.

The two single edge razors I own are on the right middle shelf and they consist of a Gem(G-bar) Heavy Flat Top and a a iKon El Jefe original version.

These razors are polar opposites of each other the Gem is on point with the Schick with smoothness where the El Jefe is one aggressive hard to tame beast. I only use from time to time when I'm feeling extra Manly as with the Feather Pro Guard blade is downright scary.

Jeff

My Vintage Sterilizer cabinet houses some of my lesser used Razors.

KkXhMDz.jpg

NK7N3lm.jpg

On the top middle is a Schick Injector model O, the last Injector Schick made. If you have a light growth or sensitive skin this might be your razor.

There a a couple Edwin Jagger 89 models tucked in there as well as several Gillette "Butterfly" razors which include an absolute mint E4 Fatboy.

The two single edge razors I own are on the right middle shelf and they consist of a Gem(G-bar) Heavy Flat Top and a a iKon El Jefe original version.

These razors are polar opposites of each other the Gem is on point with the Schick with smoothness where the El Jefe is one aggressive hard to tame beast. I only use from time to time when I'm feeling extra Manly as with the Feather Pro Guard blade is downright scary.

Jeff
Wow, Jeff. Nice stuff. We're brothers in one additional way. Aggressive razors. My Charcoal Goods is a CGL3. At one point, I shaved every day (for years) with a Futur set to 6. When the stop wore off, I simply had this huge yawing gap. But it's not a big deal if one learns to hold a razor carefully and focus on the angle that the blade contact's one's face. I find that my Mark Cross (my grail) is an adjustable, depending on how one loads the blade (since the double edged blades available today, broken in half, were not designed for this razor, they can be positioned forward or back). At its most aggressive setting it's right up there with the CGL3. I have all the classic aggressive razors including the R41. I find the Ikon Tech to be the most aggressive. Of course YMMV. Like you, I have a strange face that seems immune to razor burn and a fairly tough beard. That weird Ashkenazi Jewish deal where one looks almost Irish but has coarse facial hair that seems to harken back to a perhaps deeper Middle Eastern ancestry (or at least a blend of genetic influences).

I'm weird in one sense. I have a drawer full of soaps and creams, a beautiful scuttle I keep on display, all sorts of brushes (some expensive beaver tail though my favorite was a $3 horse hair brush from Turkey), but I don't use any of them anymore. For quite some time now, I've been shower shaving. Before I get in, I hit just the area where my side burns end. Everything else happens under a stream of warm water. Shaving that way, I find there's no need to lather up, which makes shaving much simple and faster.

That $3 Horsehair brush...does it happen to be this one?
Jeff

Attachments

• 20220209_140658.jpg
    20220209_140658.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2
I remember my father who had a very tough beard one of those guys who shaved in the morning and if he was going out that night would shave again. He used those double edge razors all I remember is him having pieces of toilet paper on a few parts of his face from nicks every time he shaved. :)

My wife expected me to return with one grill. On the way home, I took my buddy Steve out for dinner and called my wife to let her know I'd gone insane and picked up two grills and a set of cans. Bless her, she was totally nonplussed. When I asked if she had any thoughts, her response was "I've known you for ten years. This is how you roll." Then she recounted my road trip exploits to get razors, TVs, tools, gear, etc., etc., cracking me and my friend up.

Saint Kira will wake up in the morning to four grills parked on her back deck. We'll see at what point I manage to test her patience.

Meanwhile, I took some photos of the inside of the new grills that I'll post tomorrow. The 2000's flavorizer bars that had pretty much disintergrated. The box is filled with debris but otherwise appears to be in great shape. The grates are toast. But the burn tubes and major components appear to be fine. I plan to switch the burgundy lid over from the 1000, restore the wood slats (and use the wood handle from the red lid). Yes, I know I've said wood slats are impractical. Oh well; can't resist.

Bruce has gone far above and beyond to send me his blue lid. It will use the end caps from the red lid and the handle from the burgundy lid and get it installed on the Platinum. With the blue and black lower deck, the blue lid should be sensational.

The Summit appears to be in reasonably good shape. There's what looks like either surface rust or dirt on the floor of the cabinet. Will post photos soon. The box looks, well, I'm not sure. This grill type is totally new to me. I'll probably try cooking on it but my plan now is to combine the box from the 1000-LX with the frame from the Summit and gift it to the friend in the photo above. He's a cabinet maker who can do all sorts of stuff, not just with wood but with metal, roofing, painting, welding, etc. A jack of all trades. I'm thinking we'll work together to get his grill set up. He can have any of the three remaining lids, though I suspect the Summit lid won't fit on a 1000 box. So he can choose from two lids -- the platinum off the Platinum or the red one from the 2000. Since he'll be leading the charge, the conversion should be a piece of cake.

One thing he's not getting, though, are the grates from the Summit. I'll gift him some brand new Weber steel grates (that I purchased by mistake a couple of weeks back for $30, shipping included). Those 9mm Summit grates are to die for and they fit perfectly in the other grills, so no need for an angle grinder and cutoff wheel. Not sure what I'll do with the smoker box. The guy with the 2000 had one too so I'll give one to my friend and keep the other, though I'm not sure I'll ever use it. Picked up a bunch of accessories with the grills. Was quite the score. My friend and I were having a lot of fun. We decided that grill and headphone hunting is the guy version of shopping for shoes at the mall.
What year is the Summit?

Back