I will just leave this here

Can you tell which one this is? I'd want it only if it has the SS frame. View attachment 44875
That is a Summit Platinum with the stainless frame and stainless cabinetry. The Genesis Platinum of the same 2-year run also had a stainless frame, but the cabinetry - other than the doors - was regular painted steel. That's why you see so many of these nice Genesis Platinums done in by rusted out bottoms and back pieces of their cabinets.

The Genesis Platinum has one thing over the Summit Platinum in that the firebox is a simple all cast aluminum design. The woes of Summit fireboxes have been expounded on this board many times. Suffice to say that you will likely have to address your Summit firebox at some point - quite possible upon acquiring it. At least the frame and cabinetry will last forever. Compared to the Genesis, the 4-burner Summit has 4 burners (plus a smoker box burner) in approximately the same space a Genesis has 3 burners. And, while I like E-W burners, these N-S burner Platinum Summits go all out and have not only a smoker box burner but also a rear infrared one, so worries about rotisserie use can be set aside.

Roy, are you sure you wouldn't go for it? After all, "Wouldn't You Really Rather Have A ...Summit?"

Last edited:
Can you tell which one this is? I'd want it only if it has the SS frame. View attachment 44875
Weber Summit Platinum D4
Approx 2006 Top of the Range in the 4 burner Full kit: side burner, smoker burner, and roti burner. Should have SS grates.

Thermometer has been replaced. Looks like LPG.

Back and side panels, floor all SS.

Excellent pizza machines by the way.

Last edited:
You gents are tempting me to maybe consider giving it a try, assuming everything works. Trouble is the fire box can't be replaced. Perhaps it can be fixed but it sound difficult and expensive. If I considered keeping it, would be mostly to try to the roti. Is it that much better on the Summit than an after market roti on a 1000? I know, the extra burner, but if the 1000 is anything like my Platinum, the thing gets damn hot!

PS: It's not a sure thing. Someone may still offer him money. But he needs to get rid of it so I'm standing by. We'll see what happens. I'd be content to find an old rusted out model just for the grates. I know this would be a project as they'd have to be cut down.

Check out this monster. I don't want it. Would be useless. But I find it a curiosity. Must be for a commercial setting.

You gents are tempting me to maybe consider giving it a try, assuming everything works. Trouble is the fire box can't be replaced. Perhaps it can be fixed but it sound difficult and expensive. If I considered keeping it, would be mostly to try to the roti. Is it that much better on the Summit than an after market roti on a 1000? I know, the extra burner, but if the 1000 is anything like my Platinum, the thing gets damn hot!

PS: It's not a sure thing. Someone may still offer him money. But he needs to get rid of it so I'm standing by. We'll see what happens. I'd be content to find an old rusted out model just for the grates. I know this would be a project as they'd have to be cut down.
I would give it a try, it may not have been used much, cook box may be ok.

I guess free webers are falling out of the sky instead of rain.

20220206_144048.jpg

I guess free webers are falling out of the sky instead of rain.
I know. It's created this weird tension within. I find myself wanting to drive obscene distances to rescue them. And it would be crazy given that I'm not retired and make a lot more money doing what I do than I ever could restoring grills. But I'm enjoying working on them and the work would probably just get more fulfilling with practice and experience. So I could see myself becoming something of a catcher in the rye. Perhaps a grill catcher in the rust. Just to keep them out of landfills for another twenty years. But then, do I really want to spend my time rescuing inanimate things that few understand or appreciate to provide a bit more time before they're ultimately tossed aside? The problem is social and way too large for any of us to fix. We may just have to drown in garbage plus pollution of our oceans and atmosphere before we wise up. Or maybe we don't, and just stick our collective heads in the sand, and go the way of the dinosaur.

Unless it's really close, free, and has something I need, I'll let it go.

I don't have parts on hand to renew the ones I have.

The cost to buy burners, Flav bars and grates is close to what these seem to be selling for so there isn't a good profit margin, so it's just a hobby for me.

But I keep a watchful eye out for a dirt cheap E6.

Unless it's really close, free, and has something I need, I'll let it go.

I don't have parts on hand to renew the ones I have.

The cost to buy burners, Flav bars and grates is close to what these seem to be selling for so there isn't a good profit margin, so it's just a hobby for me.

But I keep a watchful eye out for a dirt cheap E6.
Makes sense, Dan, and it's probably where I land. I mean, I'm not driving down to Redmond tonight for exactly that reason. It doesn't make practical sense.

Back