I will just leave this here

An old Summit. Comes with new burner tubes but I doubt they'd work on a Genesis. I'm thinking for parts. Specifically the grates and maybe the frame (which maybe I can mate with the 1000) but not at $125. He says he needs it gone soon so maybe it will be free before long.

You're right, summit burner tubes don't work on a Genesis. If you need burner tubes for a Genesis, they are pretty cheap on ebay or any other site. As far as grates go, how many sets of those do you need? They last for a long time. Summit parts aren't really compatible with a Genesis, which is fine because a Genesis doesn't need to be messed with. It's pretty much the ideal grill on it's own.

That could be a great grill in its own right if you can get the firebox shored up and don’t mind spending on the pricey flavorizer bars. Fixed and cleaned it would be a more versatile grill than a Genesis. Rear infrared burner… All 304 stainless cabinet and frame!

Last edited:
Second generation Summit Platinum, cook box issues no doubt.
Looks to me like a first gen. Am I wrong? This is actually an important question because, if memory serves, the second gen Summit doesn't have a stainless frame. Is that true? I'm recalling it was cold rolled steel painted to look like stainless. Am I imagining this?

Last edited:
You're right, summit burner tubes don't work on a Genesis. If you need burner tubes for a Genesis, they are pretty cheap on ebay or any other site. As far as grates go, how many sets of those do you need? They last for a long time. Summit parts aren't really compatible with a Genesis, which is fine because a Genesis doesn't need to be messed with. It's pretty much the ideal grill on it's own.
I've bought one set of grates. Your cast iron grates might go on the second grill. If they're plain cast iron without an enamel plating, they probably will. But it would still be nice to try the larger diameter stainless grates on one grill or the other. I don't need them. It's recreation, an exploration of the various aspects of owning a grill.

That could be a great grill in its own right if you can get the firebox shored up and don’t mind spending on the pricey flavorizer bars. Fixed and cleaned it would be a more versatile grill than a Genesis. Reared infrared burner… All 304 stainless cabinet and frame!
True. I don't think I have a desire to go that route. Stainless grills all look the same. I'd like to see if I could mate the frame to my 1000-LX though. Make that thing just about bullet proof. And of course the grates. If I can make them work. Might have to cut them down but I don't see why I couldn't do that. Might not look perfect but I bet I could get them to fit.

Looks to me like a first gen. Am I wrong? This is actually an important question because, if memory serves, the second gen Summit doesn't have a stainless frame. Is that true? I'm recalling it was cold rolled steel painted to look like stainless. Am I imagining this?
I have a second generation Summit Platinum, stainless frame and cabinet..

Attachments

• 84A71018-8796-4F47-A421-7244C2D96F85.jpeg
    84A71018-8796-4F47-A421-7244C2D96F85.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 5
True. I don't think I have a desire to go that route. Stainless grills all look the same. I'd like to see if I could mate the frame to my 1000-LX though. Make that thing just about bullet proof. And of course the grates. If I can make them work. Might have to cut them down but I don't see why I couldn't do that. Might not look perfect but I bet I could get them to fit.
I can see that. I guess I have some affection for the Platinum second generation grills. While not as robust - or cool looking, I think - as the first generation Summits, it does offer the stainless frame and rear infrared burner that the first generation ones did not have.

While some people are put off by the light gray and stainless combination, I actually like it. Of course, that would be as a “contrast grill” to at least one colorful, classic Genesis. Don’t overloook that taller hood, either😎!

I can see that. I guess I have some affection for the Platinum second generation grills. While not as robust - or cool looking, I think - as the first generation Summits, it does offer the stainless frame and rear infrared burner that the first generation ones did not have.

While some people are put off by the light gray and stainless combination, I actually like it. Of course, that would be as a “contrast grill” to at least one colorful, classic Genesis. Don’t overloook that taller hood, either😎!
It is a mountain of a hood. Not my think but goes with the Summit concept. Was the first gen frame not stainless?

It is a mountain of a hood. Not my think but goes with the Summit concept. Was the first gen frame not stainless?
First Generation Summit were fairly robust enamelled steel .
Second Generation Summit Silver, Summit Gold, enamelled steel.
Second Generation Summit Platinum, SS frame.

That's a bit surprising in that it means the Genesis Platinum, for the two years it had a SS frame, was better made than almost every Summit.

post is gone. what was it ?
Oh, it was one of those old discontinued Weber electric coolers. They are collectable now but they had a reputation for struggling to keep stuff really all that cold.

Here is an amazon.uk add for one. The one in the add looked pretty much new to me.

Back