I will just leave this here

I think it is the later, darker blue...the early colors were more pastel, but it could just be the lighting. I think the one you have, @DanHoo ,is lighter, yes? But it's a beautiful grill, no doubt about it.

The one above does look darker, this is in full sun, with the sun at my back. The sky is reflecting on the lefhand side, and the house is reflecting on the right hand size.

This is a 90 hood on a 98 frame with Durawood.
i
1643862030375.png

I've been meaning to call one of the porcelaining outfits in my area to find out what it would cost for a light blue, but I've got a chocolate, a redhead, an early burgundy, and a late burgundy, so I don't have a donor lid. The chocolate is a gorgeous color and less common than a blue, but I still want a blue like the AFF one that JimV had without the logo.. Here's a resto thread by @MarkSiebel with his chocolate...

This is @JimV's blue topper. Is it the lighter blue, or just the lighting?

Last edited:
So hard to tell. The light reflecting changes the color. The blue behind the grill are original stripes on an 83 ski nautique and it is lighter than the middle blue stripe,

The reflection on the lid varies the color a lot.

20220202_210217.jpg

and here is Jim's grill from the thread linked above for comparison.

1643864841127.png

adding the one from the for sale post to compare blues.

1643865532334.png

Last edited:
So hard to tell. The light reflecting changes the color. The blue behind the grill are original stripes on an 83 ski nautique and it is lighter than the middle blue stripe,

The reflection on the lid varies the color a lot.

View attachment 44736

and here is Jim's grill from the thread linked above for comparison.

View attachment 44737
That is so true, about all the colors! Funny thing is, we bought a red kettle new 30+ years ago and I would never ever consider a blue grill! Red was almost too much of a leap for me back then. Now it's one of those highly sought after colors for me...how tastes change!

I added the one in the for sale post, and I think all three are the same blue, but unless they are side-by-side it is really hard to tell.

I added the one in the for sale post, and I think all three are the same blue, but unless they are side-by-side it is really hard to tell.
I agree, color is a tricky thing! And no doubt there was some subtle color differences between production runs at Weber, or maybe the way the porcelainizing is applied has an impact.

Spoke again with the Oregon grill. He says it's not a Genesis 2 or a 3 but a cross between a 2000 and 3000. I don't recall the specifics. Invited him to swing by this place. Perhaps we will.

I don't feel comfortable bothering him. It's not like I'm buying his grill. If he shows up, we can collectively ask. At this point, I'll assume he's just a guy who wants to sell, not talk about, this grill.
Yeah, that's fair. I find this an interesting archeology exercise, almost like solving a puzzle.

The thing is the more I think I know, the more I find things that don't align with what I thought I knew.

Yeah, that's fair. I find this an interesting archeology exercise, almost like solving a puzzle.

The thing is the more I think I know, the more I find things that don't align with what I thought I knew.
I hope he shows up here. A rehab guy who does work like that, he would fit in really well.

Here's a picture of a blue Silver that sold for $180 a year ago. Does it seem darker than the ones you've posted? Blue may be one of the colors that hasn't changed over the years.

1643881103493.png

Ed, they all appear to be about the same color. I'm pretty sure that from all the evidence, the original grill we were talking about is a Genesis 2 and not the later 2000.

Back