Ok what do I have here? I really wanted a blue topper.....this is my next project

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
I just picked this ole classic up last night. I believe the slang for this unit is a 13 bar? I usually prefer freebies but this grill ticked all my boxes so I paid 100 for it. It has all new bars and new grates.....havent even seen the burners yet cause they are 13 bars deep. The wood is shot. No rust so far....end caps and cook box paint is in great shape.....
I will clean her up and go to town on some pretty wood slats....this thing is gunna be a stunner!!! I dont see any stickers on it to verify its vintage....but I am sure u guys know.
Many pics to follow

Attachments

• 20200702_074052.jpg
    20200702_074052.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 77
That's a beaut! Replacing the wood will look great. I love the side burner models!

R

Jim,
Nice find there. That will clean up nicely.

The AFF logo on the lid stands for American Frozen Foods, Weber made this series just for them.

Jeff

I agree it looks like a great rehab candidate. Are the flavorizer bars and grates high quality as in Stainless Steel? And that wood doesn't actually look too bad. But I understand wanting to get some unpainted pretty stuff on there.

Yah, I can't tell for sure but since he called it "wood", I figured it was the gray painted real wood. I think he wants to do real wood any way.

With the Durawood I would guess the late 90s. I would clean up the durawood and make a daily driver out of it instead of a show grill. Those deep boxes are great cookers.
That's what I did too mine, bought this one new in 1998. It was a 1000 LX and I converted it to 2000 a few years ago and added a right side flip up.

DSCN2766.JPG

Thanks for the replies..........Thanks for the info on the sticker I guess I should leave it on there but it is slightly crooked and my OCD tendencies are having issues with that. The wood is original I think because it feels soooooo light almost like balsa wood....like completely spent and dried out. I have a bunch of wood scraps in my garage......some teak that has sat out there for 10yrs never used that is just itchin to be on that grill. That dura wood looks really slick though. I love the additional flip up trey as well. I bought this from a guy who must have picked it up from a curb......because he was a regular guy like me and no regular guy installs new OEM quality grates and 13 new bars then sells it. The bars and grates maybe have 2 cooks on them. I am gazing at the grill as I type this message...I didnt realize the cook box was deeper til u said something.....very cool! Weberitis has me by the throat I just cant shake it!!!! I must clean and scrape.......clean and scrape.......fire up the grinders........honey I will be home late!!!

Jim, are talking about the "AF" sticker? I really don't think that is a sticker. I was under the impression it was part of the ceramic coating on the lid like other logos. But, yah, that thing does look crooked.

Weberitis can but, rarely does, go into remission from time to time. Once infected the virus never leaves the host fully.
I think teak would amazing with the blue lid! I’m considering seeing if I can see if I can talk my cabinetmaker buddy into helping me make a set of slats for me in the cypress that we did the table in my avatar with. Hmm...

Oh man.......some good news some bad news and some good news..........I just snapped some pics of the blue topper............saw some ants on er :( .....I hate ants....I will destroy them! Good news is I didnt realize I already have the extra flip up shelf...........The sticker is not a sticker......you are right.....it is in the ceramic and it is frickin crooked :( ....................I just have a tiny townhouse deck area so this monster might have to be sold.......but am falling in love with this thing....shes a classic! I guess I could mow down some of the wifes flowers and move the big blueberry in.........time will tell

Attachments

• 20200703_100727.jpg
    20200703_100727.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200703_100755.jpg
    20200703_100755.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200703_100744.jpg
    20200703_100744.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20200703_100837.jpg
    20200703_100837.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200703_101009.jpg
    20200703_101009.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 43
The original owner could have contacted weber and likely gotten a new hood for that if they had complained about the logo early on. But, just like coins, sometimes those imperfections make them worth ten times what they normally would be worth.

I don't think it has been used for awhile, though...he's got the old style coupler on the regulator. And that crooked logo on that beautiful lid is something that would slowly drive me crazy over time. Maybe it's a manufacturer's second? And is it wood, or Durawood?

That is WOOD. I have collected two grills this year with the really old style quick connect on them. People continue to use them, however, I wonder where they are getting them filled at? I didn't think refill places would fill anything but the new style QCC1 connector tanks.

Back