I will just leave this here

I had my fun, 7:45 AM, so no customers to preach our grill religion to. The genesis II looked nice, all aluminum box, streamlined like an indycar; and it is nice when they are clean and grease free. The summit had a different panel for the front of the box, hopefully a better material this time. I don't know. They all had this inner stainless liner on the inside of the hood. Overall a lot more parts, which I do not see as beneficial to the end user.

Sidenote: My friend got a spirit II as a house warming gift from his father in law a few years ago. I took a look at it the other week, and it did not seem like it was going to fall apart. So I would say the latest generation won't last forever, but certainly won't degrade like the late 2000s ones.

LOL. Thats a good one. I try to stay out of the grill section. If I see people looking at grills, I get the strongest urge to go over and tell them about how much better the older Genesis grills are. Heaven forbid they are looking at the NexGrills or whatever tin cans HD stocks.
I do almost the same thing. I tell people to make sure they buy a grill with a cast aluminum fire box. If they cant spend the money, buy a used Weber. Anything other than the tin cans.

Haha, lets think about this. Unless you are near a guy like Bruce who rebuilds and does this... Go to a customer... "hey, you don't want to buy that, listen, you'll find one on facebook marketplace. go get one of these old ones. but just change the hardware. Get x, y, z from here, but wait you'll need this off mcmaster carr. you're burners are good, but i see rust here. grind that away and hit it with JB weld. trust me, you'll love it, it'll work out"

The Holland Grill is an interesting story. I don't know it totally, but basically this guy was fed up with flare-ups and decided to invent his own grill that would never do that. They made their grills in the USA - I think actually in Florida - until they folded a couple years ago.

Somewhat like the story of the PK grill, someone else has purchased the rights and leftovers of the old Holland Grill Company and is reviving it. They will be made in Georgia:

Although it is a gas grill, it actually works more like a typical pellet grill (not like the SmokeFire) in that there is a solid shield between the single gas burner and the cooking grate that is a honeycomb metal, more like what you see in a home made bbq pit. They are simple and made pretty well. That hurt them because they last a pretty long time. They had (still have) a cult following of people who love them. Cooking burgers is a half hour affair, and forget about sear marks. But, for things like chicken and some other foods that cook best in controlled intermediate heat they do extremely well.

The body is powder coated steel, so when you see one in person it turns out to not look as much like a Broilmaster as that picture might suggest....Yeah, I have one laying out not finished in my collection of oddities. ;)

Jon thanks for sharing the Holland grill story, great article !! 😃

Broilmaster for $25
Probably the oldest Charbroil still in existence today:

I like the glass window. That is nice. Don't you wish you could save them all?

Anyone have a clue what this is? Coming from a high dollar part of town, so prob something exotic.

Seller stays "solid stainless except for the ceramic briquettes"

Won't respond to my question of model. I see a V logo but can't soon in enough to make it out.

Claims to be working and might be a neat fixer upper for the $50 he's asking, but want to be sure I can get parts...

Looks like it somehow folds into itself to become a prep table?

Screenshot_20210426-201406~2.pngScreenshot_20210426-201409~2.pngScreenshot_20210426-201412~3.png

Anyone have a clue what this is? Coming from a high dollar part of town, so prob something exotic.

Won't respond to my question of model. I see a V logo but can't soon in enough to make it out.

Claims to be working and might be a neat fixer upper for the $50 he's asking, but want to be sure I can get parts...

View attachment 26843View attachment 26844View attachment 26846
No idea but for $50 I would love to check it out and probably buy it. The metal is worth more than $50

View attachment 26843View attachment 26844View attachment 26846
Looks interesting. If it’s stainless worse case you scrap it for about $100

Yep, there is a lot of stainless there. It looks like an older grill given the wheels but in pretty darn good condition. My guess is the parts are pretty nonexistant for it however.

Yep, there is a lot of stainless there. It looks like an older grill given the wheels but in pretty darn good condition. My guess is the parts are pretty nonexistant for it however.
I would guess that is what you call a "rabbit trail." I have never seen one quite like that one.

I have felt for some time that much like cars have all morphed into very similar shapes, higher end stainless grills all seem to have the same bland look. Seems to me it is time to reintroduce some color. I am not saying I like this entry for sale at Sam's Club. (In fact it reminds me of those faux wood-sided 70s station wagons we all rode around in as kids.) At least, though, it is a different take that doesn't look like every other stainless grill:

Yep. As long as the metal under the faux wood is Stainless and the cabinet is all stainless, then why not. But, I still prefer the more traditional colors.

Stoking another rabbit trail...

Here's one that could get you off track. I kind of like those cast iron grates with the double exchangeable centers. (I wonder if they work with Weber GBS items?) The write-up about the "basin" maybe needing replacement is pretty ominous. I don't know anything about Stok, but looking at pictures of some of them, they SEEM to have some good aspects. Not for me, though, even for FREE!

Stoking another rabbit trail...

Here's one that could get you off track. I kind of like those cast iron grates with the double exchangeable centers. (I wonder if they work with Weber GBS items?) The write-up about the "basin" maybe needing replacement is pretty ominous. I don't know anything about Stok, but looking at pictures of some of them, they SEEM to have some good aspects. Not for me, though, even for FREE!

Stok was a Home Depot brand years ago. They passed the 10 foot test, but at 5 feet you could start to see them skimping and up close was garbage.

I think they were only like $300, so no surprise.

I remember seeing Stok at Target a few years ago, I wouldn't want their propane grills, but I did pick a used charcoal grill of theirs 2 years ago. The grill seemed fine, but I only wanted it for the cast iron grate so I cleaned it up, slapped the Weber grate that I had in it and re-sold it. Nothing like getting paid to have a better grate.

Back