I will just leave this here

Dang, did you get that for free?
Yep, my neighbor just gave it to me along with a 3 burner older red head Genesis.
He's seen me out in the yard working on grills before, so he knew I was into them. He also has an older Summit, but said he was going to hang on to that. I was actually relived he didn't give that to me, as I've read they aren't as cheap/easy to restore.

Genesis is missing the frame, so just going to hang on to the good parts and wait for another one to come around and make a full grill out of it one day.

Good plan on the Genesis. Also, good thinking on the Summit. Unless you know what you are doing and want to take on a project that could cost you a lot of money, you are best to stay away from that one. Very cool that he just gave the WSM and genny parts to you though. My neighbors all have chinese tin cans on their decks.

It's hard to say for certain in the pictures, but at least it looks like the frame legs are not a lost cause. After a while they won't even hold up the doors due to rust. A new bottom, thorough cleaning and replace some other internals and you would have a very nice grill. He probably would come down a good bit. These "sidewinders" usually sell!

For people that like to collect rare grills, here's a Phoenix Crosley grill for $30.

Also spotted on marketplace is this BK Signet firebox that's severely rusted through. How did this happen? Up here BK sells lots of grills, so I see lots of them on FB marketplace. It's common to see neglected grills put up for sale, but I've never seen one with an aluminum casting that actually rusted through.

153342373_10165218167675171_5809902523639903340_o.jpg

Last edited:
Also spotted on marketplace is this BK Signet firebox that's severely rusted through. How did this happen? Up here BK sells lots of grills, so I see lots of them on FB marketplace. It's common to see neglected grills put up for sale, but I've never seen one with an aluminum casting that actually rusted through.

153342373_10165218167675171_5809902523639903340_o.jpg
Ouch. Is this a charcoal grill? If so, I wonder if there was an ash buildup and then the grill somehow took on some water, and the resulting mixture corroded the aluminum.

I think that is a gas grill, but it is certainly possible that someone used it as a charcoal one and the holes started as burn-through. I also suspect that the cast aluminum is very thin. Seems like the newer Webers are also getting thinner as well. I am an accountant, but bean counters get too much sway in product development!

I think that is a gas grill, but it is certainly possible that someone used it as a charcoal one and the holes started as burn-through. I also suspect that the cast aluminum is very thin. Seems like the newer Webers are also getting thinner as well. I am an accountant, but bean counters get too much sway in product development!
I dont think the casting is any thinner than what weber typically uses. Of the mainstream brands, I don't think any of them use thick aluminum.

I think if the owner used charcoal, they would have put it on the flame tamers, and the resultant burn through would have occurred higher up.

If I were to guess, the bottom of the firebox probably has a thick layer of old food soaked in water, and maybe the aluminum may have also been previously weakened by a grease fire. BTW, the other photos of the grill included cast iron grates that were so rusted that some of the rods fell off.

Last edited:
I can't think of much to say about this other than the guy must have been using it as a boat anchor.

Well at least it is priced correctly. Looks to me like it was hidden in a dark Minnesota forest. I dint think I have ever seen a grill with lichen growing on it😬! Actually, it would be a fun project to show off a dramatic turnaround restoration.

Well at least it is priced correctly. Looks to me like it was hidden in a dark Minnesota forest. I dint think I have ever seen a grill with lichen growing on it😬! Actually, it would be a fun project to show off a dramatic turnaround restoration.
Lol according to the photo, it was garage kept

Brand new redhead Platinum? Looks like it might have been used once. I see a couple drippings in the catch pan. Seller wants $1250 Canadian pesos.

LP. There is a hose and regulator. I also think that might be a spirit 900 or something like that. But not sure

Back