I will just leave this here

Whether you break the second bolt or not the manifold will come off. Once the head is sheared off there is nothing holding it. Save yourself a little headache. Soak the second one in PBlaster. It's hands down the best penetrant I have ever used. Work sloooooooowly. Let that stuff do it's magic. Turn a little than back. It'll come out. Now you only have one to deal with. Once everything is out of the way, start drilling. A GOOD drill is indispensable here. Also buy some really good titanium bits. You don't need many and they will cost you about $4 or $5 ea. Start relatively small and work your way up. Don't worry about saving the threads. Just get the bolt out. Now go get yourself some stainless bolts and nuts. Also buy some silver or copper Never Seize. Another gotta have stuff. Use it every place dissimilar metals are in contact and don't worry it will not poison your food

I totally agree on that stuff being the best. Unfortunately I think the heads on those bolts are just too far gone. I've hit the bolts half a dozen times, inside and out of the box, over the course of a week. It won't turn with anything other than channel locks or vice grips, and that's how bolt #1 twisted straight off. I'll keep trying it every morning, but I'm not optimistic. This would be the first time I've ever failed to loosen something with PB.

As for Kyle's torch suggestion - that's yet another thing that I don't own. Don't even have a hair dryer. Best I could do is just hold a lighter there or something (and no, not right after spraying it!)

A torch is pretty cheap and extremely handy! Any big box store will have one for under 25 bucks and it will last you the rest of your life. Lighter will not get enough heat to the bolt. At least that’s my thought.

I totally agree on that stuff being the best. Unfortunately I think the heads on those bolts are just too far gone. I've hit the bolts half a dozen times, inside and out of the box, over the course of a week. It won't turn with anything other than channel locks or vice grips, and that's how bolt #1 twisted straight off. I'll keep trying it every morning, but I'm not optimistic. This would be the first time I've ever failed to loosen something with PB.

As for Kyle's torch suggestion - that's yet another thing that I don't own. Don't even have a hair dryer. Best I could do is just hold a lighter there or something (and no, not right after spraying it!)

That's all I have. $20 and comes with a propane tank.

Jon, thought you might like this one:

That’s a really nice one. Kind of a PK CharQ. Besides the PK Duchess I pretty much finished, I also have a pretty old standard PK not too different in size and shape from that one. I am still restoring it. Probably won’t finish until after my move next month. I hope to post some comparisons between these two PK grills and a Weber kettle and CharQ.

Yes the PK grills are cool too. But they are a rare find and mostly still expensive. But if I ever come across cheap one I will grab it.

Fancy Special Edition red sidewinder. Lady probably removed the SS flavor bars and replaced with cheap enameled ones.

Tempted to low ball offer this one just for the parts; lid, doors, SS grates, new burners

Kyle, those parts would look great on a better frame for sure. They may have trouble getting $50 for that thing with all that rust.
Those SS rod grates are worth something too.

I wish I could get that hood and doors, even the whole grill. My grill bucket list definitely includes a brick red sidewinder.

Yup, that's one of the Broilmasters that gets talked about here and there. I heard they are great grills and can get scorching hot! Can't beat that price for free also. I have my eyes on one of those in my area, it's a P38 and comes with a side burner and brand new SS OEM BM grates.

And another Platinum. This is the 3rd or 4th one showing up recently. I would even have the matching doors.

Well, Stefan, that is the first one with a completely rusted out floor pan.....or maybe he just removed it. I am anxious to get to work on mine. I am going to make it my personal "lifetime" grill.

Back