I will just leave this here

Informal survey: how far would you drive just to see IF a free Weber was still around? The other day our local Craigslist had an ad for a "metal 2 burner grill", and it was an old Genesis that actually appeared to be in decent shape. But it was simply "at the end of the driveway at X address, first come first served, DO NOT CONTACT".

Would you get in the car for that if it was just around the corner? Five minutes away? Ten? 15? Personally, I just closed the ad again, as that format really irritates me. At least say something like "will delete ad once the grill is gone".

Informal survey: how far would you drive just to see IF a free Weber was still around? The other day our local Craigslist had an ad for a "metal 2 burner grill", and it was an old Genesis that actually appeared to be in decent shape. But it was simply "at the end of the driveway at X address, first come first served, DO NOT CONTACT".

Would you get in the car for that if it was just around the corner? Five minutes away? Ten? 15? Personally, I just closed the ad again, as that format really irritates me. At least say something like "will delete ad once the grill is gone".
I only check those out if that ad was very recently posted and it's like a 5 minute drive. I might drive 15 minutes if it was a unicorn type grill.
If you do notice a freebie that is worth something to you, you always have the option of sending the seller a message "I will give you $20-30 if you pull that grill from the curb and I will pickup in an hour. "

I only check those out if that ad was very recently posted and it's like a 5 minute drive. I might drive 15 minutes if it was a unicorn type grill.
If you do notice a freebie that is worth something to you, you always have the option of sending the seller a message "I will give you $20-30 if you pull that grill from the curb and I will pickup in an hour. "

You don't always have the option - you can post ads without any type of reply information in place. No number, no relay email, nothing. Good idea if they actually have something listed though.

Depends if there are any good ice cream stands in the vicinity. If it is out of the way offer up a twenty. Also the further away from a scrap yard the better the chances are you can get a freebie.

I would like to grab something like that, but I need to clear out some stock first. I am afraid I would drive down there and find I need a new floor pan. I think it is more than surface rust.

I have learned my lesson. If I want a freebie, I always contact the person and get them to agree to hold it if I am driving down to Madison (biggest population center near me). I have tried beating the crowds, but at 50 miles, I always have lost unless I get the owner to hold it.
If it is near me, I would give it a shot up to half an hour or hour. Not as much demand up in the rural areas, but then, they don't pop up often either.

Not very far that's for sure. Because there are junkers out there who'll grab it just for scrap metal value in a heartbeat. Honestly I wish people like that would simply put the ad that it's $10 FCFS

If the address is in the ad I normally don't even try it. But I was also able to convince a seller to hold it for me. This is how I gout one of my SS Platinum Genesis.

If the address is in the ad I normally don't even try it. But I was also able to convince a seller to hold it for me. This is how I gout one of my SS Platinum Genesis.
The past couple weeks, I got a free 22" kettle this way even though I offered the guy $10 to hold it for me....he just said take it, and I gave a lady $5 to hold a "free" 18" kettle for me. Usually if you are the first person to offer a little $$$ to hold it then they will.

Well, the handle light arrived this morning, held up in shipping for some strange reason, whatever.
Here it is this morning. I will order the replacement bulbs soon. Gray and dismal outside but, that might be the best time to install it!
Thanks again Stefan for the heads up!

hi guys and gals i drove 4 miles and fast after seeing this listed on Craigs list i caught it 12 min. after posted came with complete rotisserie
setup every thing is in great shape and works for free i got lucky
they just wanted a new grill

Attachments

• P1070199.JPG
    P1070199.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 26
  • P1070205.JPG
    P1070205.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 26
hi guys and gals i drove 4 miles and fast after seeing this listed on Craigs list i caught it 12 min. after posted came with complete rotisserie
setup every thing is in great shape and works for free i got lucky
they just wanted a new grill
Dang, that's nice for free! Replacement parts for those are a little more expensive than the Genesis models because not many people have the Summit models.

How does the inside of the lower cabinet look?

Back