I will just leave this here

I agree Tim. I got the welder because it takes up little room. I got the welder with a nice auto darkening helmet for $150 and I have used on several other projects as well. Sand blasting equipment and supplies are a long ways from being feasible for me.

OK, now I don’t think I have to go out and buy a welder! I do have my wife’s cousin that is a very, very good welder with pretty darned good skills! Problem is it’s a job for him and I can’t play the “Family” card too much without feeling like I’m imposing.when I get the silver B back here, I will see what it really needs and go from there.
BTW, I’m NOt going to tell them that the lids are the same size, I want the blue one back here!

I know nothing about these grills other than I have heard they are high quality. This one is free and comes with a new rotisseries. But the grill looks really tired.

Honestly you can pick up a used 120V Lincoln MIG welder cheap on CL. I’ve been given 2 little Lincoln MIG welders as people buy them, get frustrated and give up. As for welding stainless, it’s no different than mild steel except shielding gas and filler wire. There are some good YouTube channels on welding. You will be surprised what you repair/ fix/ make with it once you get proficient with one. As for the SS frame yes it would be cheaper to find another grill to use. I’m in Massachusetts and based upon the members here I am up against a lot of competition finding one on CL lol.

The cooking grids are on that grill are 3/8 rod SS with a wavy design. They can be cut down to fit an old Genesis B/C.

The rest of the grill is a mix of Iron and stainless.

Yah, I totally plan to give welding in the two cross members on the SS Platinum grill at some point this summer. I will be hitting youtube for some pointers before I do.

The cooking grids are on that grill are 3/8 rod SS with a wavy design. They can be cut down to fit an old Genesis B/C.

The rest of the grill is a mix of Iron and stainless.
OK, yes, I remember seeing those grates before.

Well, you might be able to pick up a MIG welder on the cheap but, if I brought one home for grill work, I’d have to weld a big doghouse first thing!

She’d see through that wayyy too fast. Besides, I don’t have room for another grill anyway. Not that I would not want to try my hand at welding. I’d find all kinds of things I’d end up wanting to “do”!

Keep at it you are on your way! And yes the gas is best for “thin” metals. Also 0.023/5 MIG wire size makes welding thinner metal much easier. I am surprised with all the restoring going on I haven’t seen more welding posts... I’ve done a lot of MIG welding restoring cars. Never bothered thinking about welding anything except mild steel. But this forum got me thinking about welding stainless... Dreaming about making up a genesis 1000 frame out of SS. Not much to frame it is 1 1/4 square tubing?
I see you have been restoring cars. I'm restoring an old Chevy right now, but I have had to have friends with welding skills do the welding for me.
What cars are you restoring, if you don't mind me asking?
Or maybe this is inappropriate for this forum? Don't want to offend...
Gerry

I have wooden floors in my two Platinum grills. Works perfect for me. No more rust and no one sees it when the doors are closed.

Lots of grills popping right now, but I am missing all the rehab prospects as I have been out parting out grills all day. I don't really need any more right now anyway, but I would have grabbed this if it wasn't for the inevitable rusted out bottom.

E3xx.jpg

Bruce, are you sure you have enough grills? 😂
Yes and that Genesis is a money pit. Looks like the bottom section of the left and right frame have rust too where the wheels are.

Yah, it is crawling up the sides and it looks like the drip tray holder is infested as well. Just disappointing. I would like to do one of those again. I did three in 2018 and two were a lot of work. I don't want to do the "lot of work" thing again. But they are money makers if you can get them without the red cancer.

I don't know Bruce, that looks pretty salvageable to me. Looks like more surface rust on the bottom than anything serious

I don't know Bruce, that looks pretty salvageable to me. Looks like more surface rust on the bottom than anything serious
I agree. That one isn't too bad. Grind away the surface rust and throw on some rust converter and fresh paint....good to go. The burners could possibly fall under the 10 year warranty time frame as well.

Back