I will just leave this here

I need to dig, but I do think that at least some Platinums also had slightly amped up btu levels.

You can look at the 2001 Weber brochure and if you read it carefully you will see that the Silver B has 36,000 btu's from it's three burners while the Gold and Platinum have 39,000 from their three burners. I would bet the burners and regulator are identical, so it almost certainly is due to different openings in the orifices. I think Weber revived this trick when they first brought out the Genesis II line. The LX models have a similarly higher btu output than the "regular" Genesis II.

You can look at the 2001 Weber brochure and if you read it carefully you will see that the Silver B has 36,000 btu's from it's three burners while the Gold and Platinum have 39,000 from their three burners. I would bet the burners and regulator are identical, so it almost certainly is due to different openings in the orifices. I think Weber revived this trick when they first brought out the Genesis II line. The LX models have a similarly higher btu output than the "regular" Genesis II.

Unfortunately the unit I have is a NG and I don't have a line in my backyard to test against another regular unit.

I have a line (buried) but no NG grill right now maybe one will enter the picture at some point.
One might be pretty convenient but, with five tanks, I’m rarely out so, maybe it’s just not that important for me.

Last edited:
Well Bruce, it appears that the kids were just (today) gifted a twin to the Genny you walked me through last summer! I’m going to get the silver B back and tear the whole thing down and restore the frame and wait to fine a new firebox when I come to Wisconsin by way of Larry’s place to have him go through my kitchen aid mixer! When the world opens up again.
Thank God they are back at work on the road and water improvements so I can go out and “sidewalk supervise” or I’d be going a bit looney!
GOING? What am I saying!?

I just did some major frame repair this afternoon on a Silver B. I tore the cabinet off a Silver B due to rust and welded in two lower cross members and then I found the cook box cross member was toast so I fabbed and welded one in there as well. Plus the sport weld on one of the frame extensions was broke, so I spot welded that back on and now it is back into action. It took me a while because I am a novice welder, but my angle grinder bailed me out. I will say the last two welds on the cook box cross member came out almost factory like, so that was a good way to end the projectec.

Frame.jpg
frame2.jpg

I just did some major frame repair this afternoon on a Silver B. I tore the cabinet off a Silver B due to rust and welded in two lower cross members and then I found the cook box cross member was toast so I fabbed and welded one in there as well. Plus the sport weld on one of the frame extensions was broke, so I spot welded that back on and now it is back into action. It took me a while because I am a novice welder, but my angle grinder bailed me out. I will say the last two welds on the cook box cross member came out almost factory like, so that was a good way to end the projectec.

View attachment 3573
View attachment 3574
Those are nice looking welds! I’m guessing you used a MIG welder? Flux core or with gas? I’d be happy with that as the frame steel isn’t that thick which makes welding it more difficult especially for a novice.

Yah it is a Lincoln WeldPak 3200DH 110V machine. I was using Argon. Most of the other welds were in need of the grinder, but they were solid welds.

Yah it is a Lincoln WeldPak 3200DH 110V machine. I was using Argon. Most of the other welds were in need of the grinder, but they were solid welds.
Keep at it you are on your way! And yes the gas is best for “thin” metals. Also 0.023/5 MIG wire size makes welding thinner metal much easier. I am surprised with all the restoring going on I haven’t seen more welding posts... I’ve done a lot of MIG welding restoring cars. Never bothered thinking about welding anything except mild steel. But this forum got me thinking about welding stainless... Dreaming about making up a genesis 1000 frame out of SS. Not much to frame it is 1 1/4 square tubing?

Scott. Find yourself a Stainless Steel Genesis Platinum grill. They made the frames out of stainless. I think 2004-2005. THey are hard to find, but I rehabbed on last year and sold it and now I have another one that I am going to fix up and keep. But, they have the cabinet that is regular steel and they are total rust, so just like that silver B, I will have to add two lower cross members. I too want to weld them in, but I know it is harder than regular steel. Last year, I just used those tube inserts which work, but they are not stainless and still a weak point.
Here is the grill I did last year.

20190731 Stainless Steel Platinum (1).jpg

Here is what I have to work with on the grill this year:

20190901_162014.jpg

Stop it!
I can’t justify buying a welder! Gas grills are a side project for me, I just don’t have the “Jones” to spend money for my own grills, nor do I have space!
I would love to have the room to have a welder and a sandblasting booth, SWMBO insists the car should be in the garage. When it’s lousy out, I like NOT needing to scrape windows.
I’ll work on the tear down of the Silver B and see just how bad it is before I buy anything as far as tools or material. See what I need, buy a few extra parts “just in case” and then start with what I have.
Would I love to build a SS frame? Absolutely! Do I have the skills? No. But, I’d sure as all get out like to develop them!!

Back